Ontario man who missed oil changes responsible for $19,000 engine replacement

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
While I generally agree that proper maintenance is the owner's responsibility, and that the lack thereof should void the warranty, in this case I suspect there's more to the story than poor maintenance, and that Dodge is using it as an excuse to deny honouring it.
16,000 kilometers or one year seems very conservative to me. In Europe most contemporary diesel engines have a maintenance schedule of 30,000 km or two years, whichever comes first. Modern oils have come a long way since since the days of the lousy goo that our grandfathers had to make do with. Doing 90,000 km in just two years is a lot. This indicates long journeys, which means that many of those kilometers, perhaps most of them, were done with the engine properly warmed up, and the number of cold starts was probably quite low.
So frankly, while 90,000 km seems high, I don't think the oil alone could destroy the engine to the point that it must now be completely replaced. There must be something else as well.

Of course, from a legal point of view they're right, they can deny his warranty, there's no doubt about that. But technically speaking, blaming an utter and complete failure of a modern diesel engine on oil alone seems a bit excessive to me.

Besides, 19,000 dollars for a puny 1.5 liter diesel engine? What's that engine made of? Solid gold?

Last edited:

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Besides, 19,000 dollars for a puny 1.5 liter diesel engine? What's that engine made of? Solid gold?
Maybe you're joking, but it's a 3.0L V6 turbocharged diesel engine. And that's in Canada, so about $15K USD, which was probably the total price with labor. Still, not cheap, but scrapping it as the owner suggested wouldn't be wise, since a third-party shop could surely put in a used engine for far less.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My mistake. I assumed that "1500 Eco" meant a 1.5 engine. Sorry about that. :blush:
But still, the price of the engine aside, I stand by the rest of my comments.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
There are some people that pull this crap all the time. Have a mindset that the warranty is good no matter what.

I can sum it up with. " The dog ate my home work" Same people will walk out into heavy traffic playing with a cell. Get run over and bitch that no one told them not to do that.

The lack of common sense is astounding.. To blame a dealer for making the call. Was to avoid the repair cost seems like a stretch. The dealer is not losing $$$. Ford supplies the part and the labor.

The labor cost has an assigned value predetermined by the Ford motor company.

Pure ignorance is rewarded with hefty out-of-pocket expenses and is legit as it should be.

Complaining about higher car prices .................... look no further than the ass_hat in that article.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

The "put gas in it and drive it" folks make me crazy, especially when their engines blow and they have the nerve to whine about it. I may be a little OCD about oil changes, but.... my engines are all running. Err on the side of overdoing it. The other side can be a scary place.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
The worst part is ignoring a warning light for 41km. These days i follow the computer change calculations as they are more flexible than strict miles or time.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The worst part is ignoring a warning light for 41km. These days i follow the computer change calculations as they are more flexible than strict miles or time.
You know that these are on a timer and not usage. Just did an Oil change in the fall and up here you store the car so come spring guess what can on. Change oil warning. The car hsn't moved for close to six months. Not making excuses but changing the oil is cheap insurence. I do beleave Dodge is hiding behind this as not to pay.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
You know that these are on a timer and not usage. Just did an Oil change in the fall and up here you store the car so come spring guess what can on. Change oil warning. The car hsn't moved for close to six months. Not making excuses but changing the oil is cheap insurence. I do beleave Dodge is hiding behind this as not to pay.
I don’t know about dodge but some of them are quite a bit more sophisticated. Trip length, engine temp etc. are factors.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not having
I don’t know about dodge but some of them are quite a bit more sophisticated. Trip length, engine temp etc. are factors.

Yes, you're exactly right, it is not timed. The harder you drive the sooner the oil change

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...a Maintenance Tech at the place where I was an auditor was forever
letting his machines oil tanks get dangerously low of oil.
Sometimes machines would burn up from no oil.
I mean, the tanks were literally right where he could see the level of oil
was LOW!!!!!

One day, the guy(Rick) bought a Harley and rode the bike for miles. Never checking
the Transmission oil, it eventually locked up on him.
One of the managers in the Tech department asked me if Rick would let his
Harley run out of oil, I just said; "well, he did."
Finally they let him go........................:clap:
Sponsored