Ehdrian

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
If they haven't sold it yet, it doesn't really matter. It's going to be sold as a "demo" car because it will have over 100 miles on it anyway. I also guarantee that engine won't burn any oil once they're done with it, lmao.
Not neccessarily, I've seen quite a few vehicles on dealer lots categorized as new still with lots of mileage. They really only have to call it a "demonstrator" if they've registered it as such.

Quoted from Edmunds:

" Car dealerships use demo cars for test drives when popular new models are in short supply, explains Chris Cutright, a former car salesman. Often, the dealership's managers also use demo cars for commuting. However, dealers do not always register demo cars, so the vehicles may still be considered new, even with the added mileage. When their dealership duties are over, the cars go up for sale with between 1,000 and 3,000 miles on their odometers. "

It appears it's still "buyer beware" when buying a "new" car with mileage.
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 was sold to me in new condition even though it had repairs. Apparently somewhere between factory and lot, the hood was damaged. Fixed and resprayed, no disclosure. When I traded it in for my 2018, paint didn't match. Took a hit on trade in because it had been in an accident.

What words should you never trust from a salesman? Everything they say after "Hi my name is..."

OP
OP
Ehdrian

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Damn, the targeted advertising on Mustang6G is spot on.

Targetted Advert.jpg

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Because they spend millions lobbying for their continued existence...

Tesla tried to do direct sales, but got blocked by NAAA efforts.
Tesla only has direct sales here in Australia, no showrooms. Not sure I would ever buy a car I can only see online and never test drive.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
In the US, they have "showrooms", but you order online. They're not allowed to have inventory for sale, at least you can do a test drive.
So, historically dealerships are a weird thing. Originally, the concept of a dealership network was enforced so a company in Illinois (for example) couldn't sell a car to somebody in NY or CA and then abandon them after the sale. A local dealership forced the manufacturer to have some skin in the game at a local. And the obvious thing here is that this was well before the advent of the internet, or even reliable rural mail delivery.

Of course, because people ruin everything, the concept got a bit twisted into a matter of local control and margin maximization. Once that happened you had politicians owning dealerships and rewriting things for their own advantage, especially to box out new players who couldn't afford to build a national dealer network from day one.

No real point, I just thought it was an interesting footnote to why we don't see more independent manufacturers.

Sponsored

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Not neccessarily, I've seen quite a few vehicles on dealer lots categorized as new still with lots of mileage. They really only have to call it a "demonstrator" if they've registered it as such.

Quoted from Edmunds:

" Car dealerships use demo cars for test drives when popular new models are in short supply, explains Chris Cutright, a former car salesman. Often, the dealership's managers also use demo cars for commuting. However, dealers do not always register demo cars, so the vehicles may still be considered new, even with the added mileage. When their dealership duties are over, the cars go up for sale with between 1,000 and 3,000 miles on their odometers. "

It appears it's still "buyer beware" when buying a "new" car with mileage.
Looks like it's in line with a bunch of other cars going into the track property. From what I see in this picture it will have no problem qualifying and it'll be #1 pole position. But show me a picture of it on track with a number and in race mode!

OP
OP
Ehdrian

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Looks like it's in line with a bunch of other cars going into the track property. From what I see in this picture it will have no problem qualifying and it'll be #1 pole position. But show me a picture of it on track with a number and in race mode!
That's a staging lane, not the entrance to the property. Never seen a track entrance begin at the "tree" before.. :cwl:

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
And by the way, how the hell is this car being abused? From your representations about the dork supposedly asking for help on modes for this car, if he truly works for the dealership should simply have his sorry ass fired.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So this is a drag strip. And those cars staging are going to run whatever thed setup is 1/4 mile or less. Those other vehicles are to be polite not actually anything most people would expect to see on track.

OP
OP
Ehdrian

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
So, historically dealerships are a weird thing. Originally, the concept of a dealership network was enforced so a company in Illinois (for example) couldn't sell a car to somebody in NY or CA and then abandon them after the sale. A local dealership forced the manufacturer to have some skin in the game at a local. And the obvious thing here is that this was well before the advent of the internet, or even reliable rural mail delivery.

Of course, because people ruin everything, the concept got a bit twisted into a matter of local control and margin maximization. Once that happened you had politicians owning dealerships and rewriting things for their own advantage, especially to box out new players who couldn't afford to build a national dealer network from day one.

No real point, I just thought it was an interesting footnote to why we don't see more independent manufacturers.
Not sure if it's the same thing in the US or not, but here in Canada it's largely turned into a monopoly where the same company owns all of the "competition" in town and surrounding areas to avoid discounting.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ehdrian

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
So this is a drag strip. And those cars staging are going to run whatever thed setup is 1/4 mile or less. Those other vehicles are to be polite not actually anything most people would expect to see on track.
It's 1/4 mile - Street Legals. Come race your family minivan or supercar. Your choice. It's meant to keep racing off the city streets.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Anyone else experience this at their local track? It kind of blew my mind that a local dealership would allow the staff to take a new Mustang GT off the lot, slap dealer plates on it to abuse at the track for the weekend. I don't know about you guys, but to me that's sketchy at best. Interesting way for breaking in the vehicle before it's sold as "new". Terrible optics for the brand.

Here's the vehicle listed on the dealer's website, quoted as having "12 km" on the odometer:

https://www.waterlooford.com/vehicles/2021/ford/mustang/edmonton/ab/52012845/?sale_class=new

IMG_7569.JPG
Is that a freaking 90's Grand Cherokee behind the Mustang? The heck's that doing on a track? I mean, we all love track days and have fun, but in that?

Yet another reason to distrust dealers. I’m still unsure why we need them anyway?
"CAUSE EMPLOYMENT".... isn't that what they always claim, that it employs people? Which is not untrue, but still...

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if it's the same thing in the US or not, but here in Canada it's largely turned into a monopoly where the same company owns all of the "competition" in town and surrounding areas to avoid discounting.
Pretty much the same here. For example, Warren Buffet owns 7 Ford dealerships here in Dallas.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Is that a freaking 90's Grand Cherokee behind the Mustang? The heck's that doing on a track? I mean, we all love track days and have fun, but in that?
Pre COVID the Atlanta Mitor Speedway held drag races on the front straightaway every Friday night in the summer. For $20 you could race whatever you could drive in. A normal race night would see minibikes, go karts, 4 wheelers, street cars, trucks of various sizes and top fuel dragster and everythingin between. One night I literally saw a Mercedes station wagon full of laundry and another night a "short" school bus. Plumbers have raced their work trucks against lifted diesel pick ups.
It's a hoot to watch and all you have to do is pay your entry fee and wear a helmet.
I need to check to see if they have started racing again...
Sponsored