Sponsored

One more liqui moly cera-tick

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
so it can not be a mechanical problem then. or can you fix a broken motor with a different additive in your oil or lubrication=?
The ticking seems to be caused by mechanical parts hitting each other. One theory was excessive rod side clearance was causing it. Simone had a ticking Coyote, and had an independent shop remove the oil pan and checked the rod side clearance, and found them all to be over the maximum specified clearance. Then some other independent engine inspector came and said the rod side clearance was good ... so I found that strange.

The Cera Tec additive may provide a higher level of "cushioning" between parts when they contact each other, and that's how it quiets down the ticking.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cera Tec fixed two flavors of tick at my 5.0, but not the third one. That's why I am not happy.

I personally feel like there's several things that tick in a similar way. I.e. - no single cause.

I can tell that I had these three ticks:

a) one that you hear through passenger window with some sound reflecting obstacle on the right. pretty loud. could hear it between 1000-2000 rpm durung 1st 2nd gear acceleration even when sound reflecting obstacle was several yards away. Was somehow connected to engine speed but intermittent - tick... tick tick ... tick.

b) pretty quiet tick that I hear through driver window with obstacle on the left - pulling through parking garage with cars on the left. Very connected to engine rpms, not intermittent.

c) Staying. Neutral gear. Setting rpms to 1750 and slightly varying it. Fairly loud so I can hear it inside cabin. Intermittent.

So, (a) was fixed with half ceratec bottle. (b) with second half cera tec bottle. (c) seems to be unaffected by ceratec.

So I think we deal with multiple sources of ticking.
Yes, there could be many sources of a "ticking" noise. What you still hear maybe fuel injectors or some other component not affected by oil.

Also, keep in mind that the 2018+ Coyotes have their own unique engine noises and ticks, and some of them are different than the 2015-2017 Coyote engine noises.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Gentleman , we all ride the Mustangs hard from time to time right? I took my Car to the Black Forrest for 2 weeks. to get there i had a Autobahn Ride for 800km. That was 800 km high speed, never slower than 160km/h.Top Speed was 260 untill the engine stopped accelerating because it is doing that from the fasctory. You feel, that the Coyote is capable of much more. hell, i was racing for 20-30+minutes with full trottle taking everything on the Bahn with wheels. It was a rumbling inferno with open exhaust claps. IThe Coyote was telling the european car world what he thinks about the World. fck downsized engines, fck kompressors, fck turbos. just take a Big ass V8 and burn some gas. Murica.. i had a nice run with a Jaguar and outrunned him again and again in accelerating the Mustang after we had to slow down in the traffic. The Driver gave me a thumbs up after he changed direction. I never , ever had so much fun in a car in my life. My Missis eventuelly slowed me down, but even she loved the ride and the Power.
That was a fun read! I don't think there is anywhere in the US where we could drive like that, not even on a track.

I think the top speed is limited more for aerodynamic reasons than anything drivetrain.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the top speed is limited more for aerodynamic reasons than anything drivetrain.
Not to get off topic, but the Mustang is speed limited by ECU. It has enough HP to go faster than the limiter holds it to. And yes, without the ECU speed limiter, at some point the speed will stop increasing when the aerodynamic forces balance with the level of rear wheel horsepower and gearing can overcome.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Not to get off topic, but the Mustang is speed limited by ECU. It has enough HP to go faster than the limiter holds it to. And yes, without the ECU speed limiter, at some point the speed will stop increasing when the aerodynamic forces balance with the level of rear wheel horsepower and gearing can overcome.
some say, that it is around 310km/h max speed.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I used Cera Tech after my first oil change on my new short block. With 80 miles since adding the Cera Tech my subjective report is overall the engine feels smoother. It did not have a tick since the swap but normal engine noises are quieter. Overall I'm glad I used it.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a calculator that says 187 MPH (300 KPH) with 370 HP at the rear wheels ... so that's close.
right, i went with my 2018GT untill the electronics stopped the acceleration. it was pretty aprupt @260 kph. i felt, that the car is able to go faster. the acceleration from 200kph till 260kph ( thats where it stops) is pretty easy and strong. in the german Forum some opened the car and they say , that they went with the previous model (421 Horsepower) till 300kph. with Pictures of the GPS data . the new Mustang could be a bit faster. I am not planning to open it, because 260 is pretty fast and the Missis said, that i should enjoy my grandkids instead of killing myself in a exotic Car on the Bahn. she is a tolerant Girl and i agreed. cheers

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
An update - Added half a bottle of Ceratec after an oil change a week and half ago, still quiet..no tick. I've also been to the drag strip twice since then, about 8 to 10 runs each time... Still no tick and I swear the engine feels like it is running a lot quieter and smoother, but that could just be in my head because I'm not listening for the tick anymore.
Well it should as the hBN works itself into the surfaces. You'll also reduce boundary layer friction losses so you may see a small bump in power / responsiveness IF you have the appropriate concentration. I doubt you'll detect the power increase or if there even if one however from less than ideal concentrations, but I've seen several dyno cases of 300+ HP cars pushing another 10~15 peak HP with a full treatment. They are all german DOHC engines as well, some NA, some TDI, so lots of valve train losses like the 5.0.

After all of my research thus far TriboTEX seems like the best performer overall but it's expensive. Myself an few others are going to run it in our GT's. I don't have a bad BBQ tick, but I do have it in a very mild form. It's only when the oil is first changed and it's fairly quiet, but definitely there for a first 500~750 miles and eventually fades away with usage of the oil. I don't believe at this point either your car or my car have any mechanical problems that affect long term reliability or function, but time will tell.

There are three possible solutions I've found that have some decent amount of R&D behind them: Cera Tec, Archoil and TriboTEX (MSH based instead of hBN) with the latter being the most ideal solution, but also the most costly by far. I'm still curious if the hBN coating itself is quieting the ticking or if it's the chemical friction modifiers doing the quieting. The real test would be after some one using Cera Tec changes their oil, if the ticking stays away for if it returns immediately.

If it returns that would suggest it's the chemical friction modifiers doing the quieting, so if noise is your biggest concern it would be ideal to use 150mL per a oil change at 5k~7k intervals instead of the whole recommended 500mL dosage. If hBN is the primary mechanism quieting down the ticking, then certainly you could use the ideal dosage. Let's be clear that using lesser amounts that recommended will have minimal if no effects on friction reduction / wear reduction. It may only primarily be providing noise suppression. In order for hBN or MSH to work, you need to achieve optimal concentrations, otherwise there's not enough to provide low shear and the film has no real effect. It's not harmful, but you won't get the benefits.

So the real question now is, is the sound dampening mechanism from the hBN carbon powder / nano ceramic or the chemical friction modifiers such as Molybdenum or what ever they use in Cera Tec. I know Liqui Moly's Oil Saver use Molybdenum and is a chemical friction modifier while their MoS2 uses Molybdenum Disulfide and is a solid lubricant friction modifier designed to address boundary layer lubrication deficiencies in most current motor oil additive packages. Liqui Moly didn't specify what chemical friction modifier is used in their Cera Tec 2 in 1 formula so I'm only guessing it's Moly.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
right, i went with my 2018GT untill the electronics stopped the acceleration. it was pretty aprupt @260 kph. i felt, that the car is able to go faster. the acceleration from 200kph till 260kph ( thats where it stops) is pretty easy and strong. in the german Forum some opened the car and they say , that they went with the previous model (421 Horsepower) till 300kph. with Pictures of the GPS data . the new Mustang could be a bit faster. I am not planning to open it, because 260 is pretty fast and the Missis said, that i should enjoy my grandkids instead of killing myself in a exotic Car on the Bahn. she is a tolerant Girl and i agreed. cheers
I think that's the firs time I've heard anyone call the Mustang an exotic car. I guess it's a matter of perspective. :)

A couple years ago someone in the US got caught doing somewhere around that in his Camaro and it was enough to make the national news.

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's the firs time I've heard anyone call the Mustang an exotic car. I guess it's a matter of perspective. :)

A couple years ago someone in the US got caught doing somewhere around that in his Camaro and it was enough to make the national news.
yes Sir, in germany ecpecially in berlin you will not see many of theese cars. petrol costs 3 or 4 times as much as in the states and germans prefer different brands. for 52000 euros you can get some serious fast german toys here who are not gas guzzlers. so you have to be a fan of us cars to buy one of them. i dont know how many in germany are sold. dont see a lot of them. you get definetly attention when you open the exhaust claps and pull it a little. sometimes i wondering myself, that in my country the freedom to drive as fast as you can on the autobahn is the last of the freedoms our failed governments have left us. they took the guns from us. they even stoped the military service that was obligated in my generation and my sons generation for every male. today you see young german men who are not male anymore, while young muslim men invade the fatherland and europe in millions.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had my oil changed about two and a half weeks ago. Is it ok to add this Cera Tec or do I need to do it from a fresh fill?

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I got castrol edge 5w30. Will probably replace my current mobil 1 5w20 with castrol in the next few weeks.

Not sure about ceratec though. Current oil has 300ml of ceratec and it is in the engine for just under a month. Is it going to stay with new oil or shoild I add some with new oil?

I think I will not add ceratec initially, but if tick returns I can safely add half bottle. 300ml ceratec is for 5 liters, and I have 300ml for 8 quarts in my current oil.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The bottle says that it will last 30000 miles, but what remains to be seen is whether the its the base oil silencing the tick or the nano Boron nitride particles. If the latter, I'd expect it to still be quiet after an oil change - as those particles are supposed to bond with the internals to create a coating. I don't think anyone here who has used Ceratec has had another oil change yet... I know I might not even get one in until the early spring now.. all depends on how soon the cold arrives.
Sponsored