Sponsored

One more liqui moly cera-tick

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Still mulling it over as to weather I want to give it a try or not as my "BBQ Tick" is quite tame compared to some. At this point I don't believe it's harmful as there are zero drive ability issues just like 99% of those who have it. Only a scant few actually had real issues that resulted in a short block and I believe all were covered under warranty. Of those more than half there was absolutely no cause found, the short block appeared fine in every way from bearing clearances to cylinders and pistons, cams etc. So they replaced the block for no reason other than noise.

Another member had his short block replaced, the noise came back within a couple hundred miles. He eventually tied 0W-40 and the noise went away. Then switched back to 5W-20, noise came back immediately. He then stomped and whined enough and got a new long block. So far as I know that one was still tick free, but who knows, give it 20k~30k and that may change.
Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
this sounds promising. I might try it on my next oil change! plz keep us updated

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
If I don't find any substantiated negative reviews on this product I'm going to use it. The Lion with your research did you see how many break in miles are needed before using this in your motor? I just got a new short block and haven't found this information.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do any automotive chains carry Ceratec or are you guys just ordering online?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Do any automotive chains carry Ceratec or are you guys just ordering online?
Probably will have to order online but will check local stores first.

Sponsored

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
NAPA carries Liqui Moly products... otherwise online.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Update.

After I added half bottle of cera tec clicking noises I was hearing were gone.

However, I couldn't help but kept checking for these noises just because I developed this habit.

And so while noise through right passenger window stopped, I noticed much quieter noise through driver's window while driving through garage parking lots - when drive close to cars on the left side, during slight acceleration on 1st and 2nd. This one I could tell was coming from the bottom of engine compartment. I'm 90% sure I just did not pay attention to this noise due to existence of louder one through passenger window before.

So I added the rest of cera tec bottle, and this noise was gone as well.

But I still can trigger ticking whole staying in neutral and fluctuating rpms in 1750+/-50 rpms. This is the only flavor of ticking I can hear right now.

Not sure I can convince dealer or ford on any serious research yet.

Ceratec greatly reduced it to the point where if it was like this to begin with, - I might just not notice it and not pay attention to it at all and vote "I do not have a tick" in the poll thread.

My noise is not as bad one as some of the videos posted here.

I think I am done with ceratec. Will go back to motorcraft at next oil change. Probably 5w30.

Based on the outcome might go to the dealer and complain.

I will try to record ticking I have and post here.

While I do not consider my ticking as very serious compared to what others post here, that still does not make me very happy.

Yes other manufacturers have ticking issues, but at least those I dealt with previously were localized to a particular engine part. And here we still do not know the source 100% to judge whether its bad or not.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Update.

After I added half bottle of cera tec clicking noises I was hearing were gone.

However, I couldn't help but kept checking for these noises just because I developed this habit.

And so while noise through right passenger window stopped, I noticed much quieter noise through driver's window while driving through garage parking lots - when drive close to cars on the left side, during slight acceleration on 1st and 2nd. This one I could tell was coming from the bottom of engine compartment. I'm 90% sure I just did not pay attention to this noise due to existence of louder one through passenger window before.

So I added the rest of cera tec bottle, and this noise was gone as well.

But I still can trigger ticking whole staying in neutral and fluctuating rpms in 1750+/-50 rpms. This is the only flavor of ticking I can hear right now.

Not sure I can convince dealer or ford on any serious research yet.

Ceratec greatly reduced it to the point where if it was like this to begin with, - I might just not notice it and not pay attention to it at all and vote "I do not have a tick" in the poll thread.

My noise is not as bad one as some of the videos posted here.

I think I am done with ceratec. Will go back to motorcraft at next oil change. Probably 5w30.

Based on the outcome might go to the dealer and complain.

I will try to record ticking I have and post here.

While I do not consider my ticking as very serious compared to what others post here, that still does not make me very happy.

Yes other manufacturers have ticking issues, but at least those I dealt with previously were localized to a particular engine part. And here we still do not know the source 100% to judge whether its bad or not.
Sorry if i dont understand correctly. I am german and have to translate it all the time in my head. but the noise is gone and Cera Tec worked for you aswell right?. But you are not happy . I thank you for your Information anyways. That means for me, that theese Coyotes have ticking issues and the issues can be fixed with lubrication. I am not a technician, but I had many cars in my life and once i destroyed a motor because of " not enough" lubrication. I was young, dump and it was my fist car. I had not the Money to fix it and i repaired the Motor myself with my father . Since that time i am very sensible when it comes to oil in a Motor. I check the engine oil every week on the Missis car and mine since 33 years. Seriously. sometimes twice. I learned my lesson. So I think, that this big coyote engine who ticks and rattles in Mustangs and F150s has just the bad habbit to do that. The reason cant be a serious mechanical issue. They ( Ford) would have found the reason and so many of the engines would blow up. Gentleman , we all ride the Mustangs hard from time to time right? I took my Car to the Black Forrest for 2 weeks. to get there i had a Autobahn Ride for 800km. That was 800 km high speed, never slower than 160km/h.Top Speed was 260 untill the engine stopped accelerating because it is doing that from the fasctory. You feel, that the Coyote is capable of much more. hell, i was racing for 20-30+minutes with full trottle taking everything on the Bahn with wheels. It was a rumbling inferno with open exhaust claps. IThe Coyote was telling the european car world what he thinks about the World. fck downsized engines, fck kompressors, fck turbos. just take a Big ass V8 and burn some gas. Murica.. i had a nice run with a Jaguar and outrunned him again and again in accelerating the Mustang after we had to slow down in the traffic. The Driver gave me a thumbs up after he changed direction. I never , ever had so much fun in a car in my life. My Missis eventuelly slowed me down, but even she loved the ride and the Power. If there was a mechanical problem in my engine, why is the Mustang still alive? After 4000km ( 2485ml) in the black forrest hill driving and the fast ride home to berlin i just had to add 800ml ( 0,84 of a us quarts) oil. was that too much? I dont think so. I will enjoy my Car as good as I can. I have still 1,5 Years Warranty and if there is a technical Problem with that Powerful Engine. I am sure it will brake and i will deal with Ford from there. Cheers to you all, whereever you may live.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
@HermanGerman - yes, the Cera Tec additive seems to make the Coyote BBQ Tick disappear. There have been 3 or 4 guys here that have reported that Cera Tec worked for them and made their ticking stop.

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
@HermanGerman - yes, the Cera Tec additive seems to make the Coyote BBQ Tick disappear. There have been 3 or 4 guys here that have reported that Cera Tec worked for them and made their ticking stop.
so it can not be a mechanical problem then. or can you fix a broken motor with a different additive in your oil or lubrication=? when you riding the motor hard from time to time. i am on the autobahn sometimes. i added a little story above. the Bahn is a different Story. there we race as hell.. and the exotic American ( My Wife gave him the Name Geronimo after reading about Geronimo ) stays his ground every time. I never regretted the decition to buy the exotic US V8 instead of my second coice BMW .

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
An update - Added half a bottle of Ceratec after an oil change a week and half ago, still quiet..no tick. I've also been to the drag strip twice since then, about 8 to 10 runs each time... Still no tick and I swear the engine feels like it is running a lot quieter and smoother, but that could just be in my head because I'm not listening for the tick anymore.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
But you are not happy .
Cera Tec fixed two flavors of tick at my 5.0, but not the third one. That's why I am not happy.

I personally feel like there's several things that tick in a similar way. I.e. - no single cause.

I can tell that I had these three ticks:

a) one that you hear through passenger window with some sound reflecting obstacle on the right. pretty loud. could hear it between 1000-2000 rpm durung 1st 2nd gear acceleration even when sound reflecting obstacle was several yards away. Was somehow connected to engine speed but intermittent - tick... tick tick ... tick.

b) pretty quiet tick that I hear through driver window with obstacle on the left - pulling through parking garage with cars on the left. Very connected to engine rpms, not intermittent.

c) Staying. Neutral gear. Setting rpms to 1750 and slightly varying it. Fairly loud so I can hear it inside cabin. Intermittent.

So, (a) was fixed with half ceratec bottle. (b) with second half cera tec bottle. (c) seems to be unaffected by ceratec.

So I think we deal with multiple sources of ticking.

Last edited:

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
An update - Added half a bottle of Ceratec after an oil change a week and half ago, still quiet..no tick. I've also been to the drag strip twice since then, about 8 to 10 runs each time... Still no tick and I swear the engine feels like it is running a lot quieter and smoother, but that could just be in my head because I'm not listening for the tick anymore.
thats what i think. when you US Boys race on the strip you accelerate. just like the devil himself is behind you. in 11 or 12 seconds all the power and all the torque drops into the transmission and into the wheels and you do it again and again. it should be death after that, bur it aint . is is just running and ticking....

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Cera Tec fixed two flavors of tick at my 5.0, but not the third one. That's why I am not happy.

I personally feel like there's several things that tick in a similar way. I.e. - no single cause.

I can tell that I had these three ticks:

a) one that you hear through passenger window with some sound reflecting obstacle on the right. pretty loud. could hear it between 1000-2000 rpm durung 1st 2nd gear acceleration even when sound reflecting obstacle was several yards away.

b) pretty quiet tick that I hear through driver window with obstacle on the left - pulling through parking garage with cars on the left.

c) Staying. Neutral gear. Setting rpms to 1750 and slightly varying it. Fairly loud so I can hear it inside cabin.

So, (a) was fixed with half ceratec bottle. (b) with second half cera tec bottle. (c) seems to be unaffected by ceratec.

So I think we deal with multiple sources of ticking.
I understand what you say. I have also a rattle when i playing with the gas around 1300rpm. that was there since it was new. never changed . and a brand new car had the same after the dealer did the same with the new car. i was relieved because i thought that must be a typical noise if it is not only a noise my car makes. but of course accel, i am only hoping and thinking, that it is just a strange noise. cheers
Sponsored