Sponsored

Once you put your drive mode into Sport+, is there any benefit to putting transmission into "S" (besides manual shifting)?

spazmatt527

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10
I understand that leaving the drive mode in "normal" and putting the transmission in "S" gives you "sport" mode (without the "+"), which JUST changes throttle response and, it seems, shift patterns (keeps in each gear longer, downshifts more aggressively).

Once you put the car into "Sport+" drive mode, however, it seems to me that you get everything (increased throttle response/mapping, aggressive shift mapping, stiffer magnetic suspension, steering/exhaust set to sport).

So, the question is this: Once in "Sport +" mode, is there literally *any* difference between keeping the transmission in "D" as opposed to "S" (besides having access to manual shifting)?
Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
You nailed it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In case you have not see my response to your other similar post, here ya go:

So what happens if you are in Drive Mode S+, move the trans from D to S, but DON'T activate the paddle shifters? Does having trans in "S" (without touching paddles) while drive mode is in "Sport+" even do anything?
Separate Trans Mode (Trans selector in D or S) from Drive Mode (toggle switch at center stack), they’re 2 different things.

Trans Mode “S” (6R80 or 10R80) puts the TCM into a more aggressive shifting mode. It will allow the car to run out to redline, whether manually shifting (if paddles touched) or in full auto mode (paddles not touched).

Drive Mode S+ (activated by Drive Mode toggle at center stack) changes the Ford factory PCM “tune” so to speak; essentially changing engine performance mapping (car will sound different and act different for every Drive Mode selected). IIRC, it also puts the steering into sport feel too.

If you haven’t seen the main 10R80 thread, which contains A LOT of tech/fyi/faq’s, this thread is snipped from within it, which will help new owners of the 10R80 with the Trans Mode vs Drive Mode info.
10R80 Trans Modes vs Drive Modes + Paddle Shift facts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drive-modes-the-a10.141350/#post-2896682

Here’s the main link for the 10R80. Post 1, page 1 is where the most important 10R80 info is located (scroll down through it, there’s many hyperlinks and attached PDFs):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Hope that’s helpful.

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
Ok, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for the manuals what do the sport modes do? My Mach 1 in sport + changes the magneride setting, the steering wheel mode and exhaust, but as it is manual, does it change throttle responce or anything else?

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I had not seen all of those articles-10 speed is quite an engineering marvel. Too bad Ford kind of jacked up the software side compared to Chevy. My biggest nitpick is why didn't we get the feature where you can hold the left paddle to drop to the lowest available gear? It is in the Camaro but not the mustang?! The GT500 has it on that transmission. The 10 speed transmission will do it in the Ford...just not by paddle use. Annoying omission especially when driving with paddles on a road like TOD. I haven't used "S" setting a lot because I don't have a lot of time in a manual and don't want to risk redlining too much, but after reading these articles I am going to try it a bit more.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Ive been using S more than toggling thru modes for S+ lately. All I really care about is increased throttle response, steering isnt that big and it keeps traction control the same as normal.

Its also super easy to jump into S for a brief second, then back to D. I do not use the paddle shifters.

OP
OP

spazmatt527

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP1 A10
In case you have not see my response to your other similar post, here ya go:

Separate Trans Mode (Trans selector in D or S) from Drive Mode (toggle switch at center stack), they’re 2 different things.

Trans Mode “S” (6R80 or 10R80) puts the TCM into a more aggressive shifting mode. It will allow the car to run out to redline, whether manually shifting (if paddles touched) or in full auto mode (paddles not touched).

Drive Mode S+ (activated by Drive Mode toggle at center stack) changes the Ford factory PCM “tune” so to speak; essentially changing engine performance mapping (car will sound different and act different for every Drive Mode selected). IIRC, it also puts the steering into sport feel too.

If you haven’t seen the main 10R80 thread, which contains A LOT of tech/fyi/faq’s, this thread is snipped from within it, which will help new owners of the 10R80 with the Trans Mode vs Drive Mode info.
10R80 Trans Modes vs Drive Modes + Paddle Shift facts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drive-modes-the-a10.141350/#post-2896682

Here’s the main link for the 10R80. Post 1, page 1 is where the most important 10R80 info is located (scroll down through it, there’s many hyperlinks and attached PDFs):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Hope that’s helpful.
I'm just trying to understand if flipping trans into S if you're already in S+ drive mode anything at all if you don't touch the paddles?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
No.

S only changes throttle and shifting. S+ changes those plus exhaust if you have it, magnaride if you have it, traction control is lessened. If in S+, no need for S unless you want to paddle shift.

One thing I hated on my 6 spd was S+ rode worse in the city with magnaride. I would has used S if I had it so I just gained throttle response, but kept normal ride.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
OK I have a question. Using the auto trans in S mode and switching to D mode doesn’t hurt the tranny, correct? I enjoy S mode but I will switch off depending on conditions or wanting to get more MPG. I just want to know if it’s okay to do that often. Can you just leave it in Sport mode instead of Drive all the time if you wanted ?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
OK I have a question. Using the auto trans in S mode and switching to D mode doesn’t hurt the tranny, correct? I enjoy S mode but I will switch off depending on conditions or wanting to get more MPG. I just want to know if it’s okay to do that often. Can you just leave it in Sport mode instead of Drive all the time if you wanted ?
It's basically a conventional torque converter transmission. You can use any mode you want for as long as you want and change modes as much as you like. You are just changing computer settings. I use S almost all the time, although with gas at over $5 a gallon, I tend to use D more.... don't like it though.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
From what I understand "S" does not change throttle response, just shift pattern and paddle shifting if you engage it. I think you're feeling more throttle response because the engine is holding higher rpm's. Once you go to S+ the throttle response is changed.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I looked in the owners manual and it says Sport does change throttle response. I haven't noticed any difference between Sport and Normal but there's a big difference in Sport+. I guess Sport must be somewhere between Normal and Sport+.

Last edited:

FLfree

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance
I understand that leaving the drive mode in "normal" and putting the transmission in "S" gives you "sport" mode (without the "+"), which JUST changes throttle response and, it seems, shift patterns (keeps in each gear longer, downshifts more aggressively).

Once you put the car into "Sport+" drive mode, however, it seems to me that you get everything (increased throttle response/mapping, aggressive shift mapping, stiffer magnetic suspension, steering/exhaust set to sport).

So, the question is this: Once in "Sport +" mode, is there literally *any* difference between keeping the transmission in "D" as opposed to "S" (besides having access to manual shifting)?
I set Sport with track exhaust setting to be “MyMode”
Sponsored