Sponsored

On the hunt for a GT...

Chumba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Shadow Edition
Hi folks,

Decided the time is right for me to finally treat myself to a nice sensible 5.0 Manual GT Coupe as my daily. Covid means my mileage has dropped and is likely to stay that way for good now, mpg is no longer an issue.

Realistically it's going to be something sub £30k and a 2016-2018 reg. Keen to get something on the £150 tax rate too, if I can. My commuter (now sold) slipped over the £40k OTR when it was new and so I fell into the DVLA bonus tax annoyingly.

I'm currently trying to work out if 2018 registered shadow edition would fall under the £40k bracket though. I can see the 2017 ones do.

Found a pricelist on here from 2017 (thanks!) but wondering if anyone can point me at some 2018 pricelists too, if there were any??

Cheers for now, more questions to follow no doubt!!
Sponsored

Liam O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang GT Shadow Edition
Hi folks,

Decided the time is right for me to finally treat myself to a nice sensible 5.0 Manual GT Coupe as my daily. Covid means my mileage has dropped and is likely to stay that way for good now, mpg is no longer an issue.

Realistically it's going to be something sub £30k and a 2016-2018 reg. Keen to get something on the £150 tax rate too, if I can. My commuter (now sold) slipped over the £40k OTR when it was new and so I fell into the DVLA bonus tax annoyingly.

I'm currently trying to work out if 2018 registered shadow edition would fall under the £40k bracket though. I can see the 2017 ones do.

Found a pricelist on here from 2017 (thanks!) but wondering if anyone can point me at some 2018 pricelists too, if there were any??

Cheers for now, more questions to follow no doubt!!
A low mile shadow edition should be easily do-able for sub 30k. Shadow Editions should all slip into the £150 road tax as I believe you couldn't spec them over 40k. I think mine (67 Plate Grabber Blue Shadow Edition) was 38k brand new but I bought it used in February. Aim for a 17/67 and it should almost guarantee this. Just bare in mind they will be out of warranty soon.

OP
OP

Chumba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A low mile shadow edition should be easily do-able for sub 30k. Shadow Editions should all slip into the £150 road tax as I believe you couldn't spec them over 40k. I think mine (67 Plate Grabber Blue Shadow Edition) was 38k brand new but I bought it used in February. Aim for a 17/67 and it should almost guarantee this. Just bare in mind they will be out of warranty soon.
Thanks Liam.

Enquired about an 18 plate shadow earlier and dealer said it was above £40k, so guessing there was a price increase early 2018. Just need to find a price list to see when it happened. 2017 price list has a grabber shadow manual as £39,895 OTR, so cutting it close. Just really grudge giving the DVLA an extra £300 a year so would rather avoid, but would swallow it for the right car.

Not bothered about warranties anymore. I paid over £1k in the last year for BMW warranties and when i tried to use them, found out they're an utter waste of time. Turns out that 'fully comprehensive warranty which covers all mechanical and electronic parts for peace of mind" doesn't actually cover anything when it comes to it. Latest claim was rejected on the basis that the part failed 'due to external factors', whatever that means.

From what I've seen so far, the Mustang seems fairly robust anyway.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure I have an 18 price list on my work PC, remind me on Monday if I forget :like:

Don’t bash the BMW extended warranty too much - it saved my arse for 7.5k (actually it might have been 9.5k) on a single job plus a selection of other items ...

WD :like:

Sponsored

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Hi and welcome here.

The Shadow Editions ran from 2017 (17 plate) to 2018 (67 plate) althogh you may find a few on an 18 plate. All the manuals were just under the £40K threshold. The Auto's (£1600 option) that had Grabber Blue & Race Red were also just under £40K. But premium paint Triple Yellow (£600 option) & Platinum White (£800 option) were slightly over the £40K limit. Although the additional tax is applicable for the !st 5 years. It then will fall to £150 per year. So if you find a 2017 you willonly pay the additional tax for a couple of years.
I've got a Triple Yellow Auto, reg Jan 18. Only two more years before the tax falls to a more reasonable rate.
Hope this helps. Whichever Mustang you buy, you'll love it.

RR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Auto, L322 Range Rover, Series 3 Land Rover
I bought mine new in sept 2018,on a 68 plate,Race Red,custom pack, auto, and have just renewed tax at £150. It's not a shadow edition though.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
doesn't the extra road tax drop as the car gets older so the differences do narrow down?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
doesn't the extra road tax drop as the car gets older so the differences do narrow down?
I believe so, I think they all end up the same :like:

WD :like:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To reiterate the extra VED is for first 5 years only. In my humble opinion the extra ( for 5 years)really shouldn’t be something that’s high in the list of factors when buying a GT.

Condition, spec, mileage are all way way way more important.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m sure someone else will know for sure but aren’t certain GT’s in a particular high VED band? Was it the really early ones? I could be totally wrong!!!
https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mustang/coupe-2015/car-tax/
Yup my 2016 V8 is about £500pa

tax price drop only from FY2017, not sure if that’s the date registered, sold or built.

but hey that tax rate applies to any other pre 2017 fast car

and it’s cheaper than the tax on new merc c300hybrid which is £800ish pa

typical of Uk govt to cock up a simple tax reform!

would that dissuade you from buying a 2015/16 car? I guess it’s all about the car, the price and the deal. Better a cared for low mile 2016 than an abused and neglected 2017 - to me at least

OP
OP

Chumba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously the most important thing is the car and the condition etc. But as a starting point, I'd rather have a great car in the low tax bracket than the same car but in the higher bracket. Wouldn't rule out a deal on any car, if it's the right one.

I've given the DVLA enough money over the years though and not in a rush to throw more money at them is all.

There's plenty of choice out there for GTs in the £150 a year bracket. My last couple of cars have been nearly £500 a year to tax and when you have 3 cars in the current stable, the tax all adds up. £450 for the tax on 3 cars p.a..... is a lot nicer than £1500, clearly.

Plus, with the GT, there's not really any benefit to the cars in the £500 bracket just now when the same spec cars are available in the £150 bracket. It'd be different if they were £500 because they had more bhps or spec or something, but it's just down to an arbitrary date / rrp, so it's annoying more than anything.

Swapping a 2017 M2 for the GT (is the plan), so that's the main reason for the £30k budget. Keen to do it without any finance etc.

Something about having a 5.0 V8 that's only £150 a year to tax makes me smile too.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Totally agree. For me if buying used it’s all about condition first and foremost. I would however secondly try for a newer car if the budget stretched. Spec is important but GTs other than auto or
Manuals all seem to be pretty similar.
Obviously the most important thing is the car and the condition etc. But as a starting point, I'd rather have a great car in the low tax bracket than the same car but in the higher bracket. Wouldn't rule out a deal on any car, if it's the right one.

I've given the DVLA enough money over the years though and not in a rush to throw more money at them is all.

There's plenty of choice out there for GTs in the £150 a year bracket. My last couple of cars have been nearly £500 a year to tax and when you have 3 cars in the current stable, the tax all adds up. £450 for the tax on 3 cars p.a..... is a lot nicer than £1500, clearly.

Plus, with the GT, there's not really any benefit to the cars in the £500 bracket just now when the same spec cars are available in the £150 bracket. It'd be different if they were £500 because they had more bhps or spec or something, but it's just down to an arbitrary date / rrp, so it's annoying more than anything.

Swapping a 2017 M2 for the GT (is the plan), so that's the main reason for the £30k budget. Keen to do it without any finance etc.

Something about having a 5.0 V8 that's only £150 a year to tax makes me smile too.
I sold my 2017 pre LCI M2 DCT for my face-lift manual 2019 GT non magnaride. The m2 was a fantastic car, joy to own but I had that feeling that it was now or never to fulfill owning a 5 litre v8.

Anyway have you test driven a pre face-lift GT and the face-lift? If you haven't you should as for me the differences add up. Some say the changes are irrelevant and digital dash a waste of time, front end they don't like, people seem to forget the engine changes, exhaust system etc etc which is fair enough but for some like me those changes swung me as back in 2015/16 I didn't buy a GT and purchased an m2 which I would still own had ford not released the facelifted GT. I'm not saying pre face-lift cars are in some way inferior, I'm just saying the evolution made the face lift more appealing to me.

VED debate just doesn't come into it for me, sorry mate.

OP
OP

Chumba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doing my very best to avoid looking at the face lift ones just now and definitely not driving one. My willpower is weak and I know if I drive a new one with all the latest toys... I'll want one.

A Mach 1 would be epic too, so need to stop looking at them as well!

A 2017/2018 GT is cost neutral so I figure I can swap and try one for a bit without needing to take any finance etc. Easy enough to upgrade to a Mach 1 later too.
Sponsored