Sponsored

On the fence about MGW

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
I need help. I can't decide whether or not I want to buy the MGW. Everyone praises the ground beneath it but I haven't really had any issues with the stock shifter other than a few nibbly 1->2 and 3->4 shifts here and there. Full disclosure: I daily drive the vehicle and this is my first manual transmission. I can afford the shifter but $500+ is still a lot of money. Is it worth the money for the feeling alone since I don't really need it for any functional reason?

Help me! :cheers:
Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Nope. If you are fine with how your shifter performs already, just switch out the transmission fluid with BG and it should fix some of the nibbling. All the MGW will do is get rid of the 2 -> 3 lockout, shorten the throw, and remove a lot of the slop in the shifter assembly present with the stock one. If the stock one is good for you, stay with it! :)

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Nope. If you are fine with how your shifter performs already, just switch out the transmission fluid with BG and it should fix some of the nibbling. All the MGW will do is get rid of the 2 -> 3 lockout, shorten the throw, and remove a lot of the slop in the shifter assembly present with the stock one. If the stock one is good for you, stay with it! :)
Thanks for your input. This was actually the direction I was leaning if I can convince myself that I don't need the MGW lol! :doh:

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
i just installed a prothane rear shifter mount bushing a few months back and it totally tightened up the stock shifter and I have yet to miss a shift with stock shifter, so I have decided to stay with stock also and the bushing was like $12 i think

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
I ordered the BG Syncroshift II so we'll see if it feels any better. I'll report back in a week.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I ordered the BG Syncroshift II so we'll see if it feels any better. I'll report back in a week.
Please do! Will be interesting to hear your thoughts!

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I didn't have any problems with my transmission and I still feel that the MGW shifter was worth every penny. It is my second favorite mod after the whipple.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
The problem isn't the shifter; it's the trans

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
As someone stated above, the MGW Xspec I put on my car is one of the best mods I've done to the car. I was hesitant to upgrade, but I'm so happy that I did.

For me, the mgw has been the best mod thus far in terms of enjoying what each mod has given me.

The stock shifter works. The MGW is great.

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
I didn't have any problems with my transmission and I still feel that the MGW shifter was worth every penny. It is my second favorite mod after the whipple.
I've heard many people say practically the same thing which makes the MGW THAT much more tempting. We'll see if this BG fluid does anything. I'm trying to do the fiscally responsible thing but you people are bad influences. :cheers:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard many people say practically the same thing which makes the MGW THAT much more tempting. We'll see if this BG fluid does anything. I'm trying to do the fiscally responsible thing but you people are bad influences. :cheers:
The combo of the two is epic. Just drove mindys car tonight. Firm, direct, clean shifting with no nibbles or vagueness. Every shift is smooth and precise. MGW or Barton Hybrid 3 w/ trans mount + BG fluid is perfect. A shifter is gonna happen soon for me lol.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
im in the same boat. not in love with stock shifter dont hate it enough or know enough about how other shifters feel to justify spending the money and swapping it out

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
The combo of the two is epic. Just drove mindys car tonight. Firm, direct, clean shifting with no nibbles or vagueness. Every shift is smooth and precise. MGW or Barton Hybrid 3 w/ trans mount + BG fluid is perfect. A shifter is gonna happen soon for me lol.
Hell yeah...this combo is the killer! Feels like driving a proper car now, high precision stuff.

Hey [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], the Atlas knob works perfectly with this setup, no longer afraid of breaking the shifter in pieces :cheers:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
MGW here. Installed 8 months ago and glad I did. I think I have grinder gears 2 times since install and it was my fault for being lazy. And it was nothing major just a nip. I will say that reverse is not for women drivers. It will almost pull your shoulder out of socket. :lol:

OP
OP
Desta

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Please do! Will be interesting to hear your thoughts!
Just swapped the fluid. I only have 1900 miles on the car so I didn't think there would be too much of a noticable difference but boy was I wrong. First impression is that it is much smoother and there's no more gear nibble. The shifts are much more pleasant now. I feel like I'm no longer hurting my car when I drive it lol. Definitely worth the money for the fluid swap. The stick just glides right in. Much less noise as well so that's a plus.
Sponsored