Sponsored

On a scale of 1-10, how bad of an idea is buying a new S550 in the next 6 months, and other buying questions

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
My 06GT died in Nov 2020 after a 14 year run as a daily driver. I started looking in Nov 2019 for a new GT but then covid hit and all plans went out the window. Finally pulled the trigger this past weekend and ordered a 2021 GT/CS configured as I want. I don't care about the wait. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I know the next 6 - 8 months will fly by. They always do. Planning on seeing a new GT/CS in my driveway for next spring. If it gets here sooner, Merry Christmas!
Sponsored

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
car seats make all the difference. Both of my boys ride in the back of my car. One 3 one 7. 3 year old sits behind me and I’m 6’2”.
Totally get it, my wife is 6'2" and I am 6'3" and our son is a year old, so it is a rear facing seat.

I would say that I am not even attempting to get his seat into the car until he is front facing in a year. Thankfully my wife has a big car, so none of this is ever an issue.

Jay87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
If your in a position to drop 50k on a sports car, 3-7k in the final sale price shouldn't be a big deal.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
In my neck of the woods used 15-17's are selling at a higher price than used 18-19's haha.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
If your in a position to drop 50k on a sports car, 3-7k in the final sale price shouldn't be a big deal.
Hello; Guess I am an outlier on this. The deal matters to me. I have the cash but cannot stand to overpay. There was a time when I had to be careful with money and I guess the pattern stuck. I walked from a deal over a difference of $1,500 this past January 2021.

I have a notion as to why prices keep going up. Part has to do with folks shopping for monthly payments. Part has to do with folks walking into a shop determined to buy a car that day. Either way the dealer is holding the good cards.
Many years ago I walked from a deal simply because I was at the top of what I could afford. It was not a planned thing so much. The dealer kept saying no. In a couple of days the dealer called and took the offer.
In 1991 I looked at a left over last years car. A 1991 Nissan SE-R. I was not getting anywhere with the dealer. He asked the what will it take to get your business question. I threw out a number. The salesman came back with a no from the manager. I got up to leave. They caught me in the parking lot and took the deal. I did the math and it was 22% off MSPR. It is rare but I have gotten that deal a couple of times since.
I settled for 16% off on my current 2001 Sentra SE back in 2002 because I knew what the car was. I had to walk out of the building once because they tried to add the dealer prep to the deal. They finally agreed to fold that into the deal. I still have that car. Best one I have ever owned by far.

Point is you have to be ready and willing to walk to get a deal. Going in determined to buy will give the dealer the edge. I figure what I want to pay before I step onto the lot. So much easier on a new vehicle as we can do some searching and get the MSRP and other information. If I do not get the deal I leave. I have had them call me as I was driving home.

The market today is such my strategy likely will not work. It failed on a new 2020 leftover GT this past January. It fails most of the time. But it has worked often enough so I am reluctant to give it up. I may have to wait until things change or my situation changes. Right now I have two vehicles that run well.

Last thing is I have learned that while having a nice new car is great for a month or so. That feeling fades some, but knowing I got a deal lasts. If I thought a new GT would make me truly happy then the money would not matter so much. I want one and will like having one, but understand it is not the key to happiness. I figure many will not agree or even understand my take on this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Just an update-

I've been calling around the Midwest getting quotes on new cars, and Granger is far and away the best- at this point, they are the only offering under MSRP on a new vehicle.

I honestly don't understand why the other dealers are being so greedy, when my order shouldn't detract from their allocations? It should just be easy bonus cash for them, and a possible repeat customer.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Just an update-

I've been calling around the Midwest getting quotes on new cars, and Granger is far and away the best- at this point, they are the only offering under MSRP on a new vehicle.

I honestly don't understand why the other dealers are being so greedy, when my order shouldn't detract from their allocations? It should just be easy bonus cash for them, and a possible repeat customer.
...I know what you mean.
They run from one extreme to the other.

One dealer will have a nicely proportioned PP car @ $48,000;
..then another will have it for $55,000.

I haven't shopped this much for a car; ever......................:dance:

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for a manual transmission. Metro Ford OKC Has(had?) one in red; I did call and ask about that one, and they were firm on the price. They were also one of the worst offenders about ordering; not only were they going to charge MSRP, the guy I talked to said something along the lines of, "Ford Build and Price doesn't take the destination charge into account, so expect a few thousand extra" which is total bull, because the B&P absolutely includes destination (I'm pretty sure the government forced Ford and other automakers to do so). So possibly looking at MSRP + extra on an order, which is just insane.