Sponsored

On a scale of 1-10, how bad of an idea is buying a new S550 in the next 6 months, and other buying questions

TGYNYY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Key phrase “ a year ago.”
Dont be in a rush to over pay. The non "R" GT350s are nothing rare or special. Especially a 2016. They made a crap ton of them. Theyll come down in price.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Dont be in a rush to over pay. The non "R" GT350s are nothing rare or special. Especially a 2016. They made a crap ton of them. Theyll come down in price.
Yea, I'm over the GT350s. By the time their prices come back down to reality, Ford will have something newer and cooler in the S650 range out. My prediction is people buying them now at hugely inflated prices will be left holding the bag when the car loses $20-40k worth of value by 2023. I'd rather get a new to me GT premium with the enhanced electronics and a more palatable $5-15K loss over the same time period

It would have been a neat car, though.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Above is the exact same reason I think people trading a gen3 18+ car for a Mach 1 is crazy.

Its absurd to pay the difference for a sticker package and 20 more HP. LOL!

(settle down Mach 1 fans. Tell youself whatever you need to sleep at night. The Mach 1 doesnt offer enough over a loaded PP1 car to justify it)

Whole lot of money being lost for little gain.

jweggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I could not agree more, prices will come down. . 11 days ago Vroom offered $33,030 on my 2016 GT premium convertible w/401a with 38k miles. 6 days ago the Vroom offer went down to $29,000. I sold it for the $33,030 which is substantially over the amount I paid for it one year ago. Prices are starting to retreat.

Sponsored

jweggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
IMO - You should wait . The market will correct itself. May take 6 to 12 months…..

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Only people buying now should be the youtube gotta have it now clickbait clowns

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
About a year ago 2016 GT350s were going for well under 50k!
about a year ago 2018 GT350 with <4000 miles were 45-50k - eg. Sheehy Ford of SilverSpring.

If you can get a new car for 9% below MSRP and ideally 1500 more in rebates, then buy it. Otherwise sit tight.

2 weeks ago the offers started to come down around here. Hot markets like TX and NC may still have momentum but I doubt for much longer. I seriously question the narrative that there are buyers in size at these stupid prices. Vroom et. al. is going to be sitting on a PILE of inventory it can't sell except at a big loss. It's only investor money so who cares, right?

I sold my '19 SS/1LE for 44k on a 45k MSRP to Vroom. I paid 40k OTD. They pick it up tomorrow, er. today. Basically I get all my property tax and insurance money back as well wheels and tires. Completely free use of the GT350 beater for 2 years. I'll buy another in 2022/3 when GM is once more desperate to move units.

Last edited:

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Yep anyone but the Koons Crooks.

My 2020 PP1 came from Battlefield in Manassas VA.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
about a year ago 2018 GT350 with <4000 miles were 45-50k - eg. Sheehy Ford of SilverSpring.

If you can get a new car for 9% below MSRP and ideally 1500 more in rebates, then buy it. Otherwise sit tight.

2 weeks ago the offers started to come down around here. Hot markets like TX and NC may still have momentum but I doubt for much longer. I seriously question the narrative that there are buyers in size at these stupid prices. Vroom et. al. is going to be sitting on a PILE of inventory it can't sell except at a big loss. It's only investor money so who cares, right?

I sold my '19 SS/1LE for 44k on a 45k MSRP to Vroom. I paid 40k OTD. They pick it up tomorrow, er. today. Basically I get all my property tax and insurance money back as well wheels and tires. Completely free use of the GT350 beater for 2 years. I'll buy another in 2022/3 when GM is once more desperate to move units.
I found someone willing to order a new GT Premium for 9% under MSRP. Incentives would be whatever when Ford finally builds it. They were guessing 2-3 months for delivery. I'm pretty tempted, since I could get it 'my way' with the exact color and options. The only thing really holding me back is whether I should wait for the S650, and whatever special edition comes out....then again, maybe I'm better served by buying this now, then selling in 3 years and buying a lightly used S650 special (Boss/Shelby/whatever they end up calling it). I guess in that scenario, I'd just be worried that my GT would suffer excessive depreciation due to being a S550. But I may be totally overthinking this. It's not like buying these cars is ever a good financial decision, hah.

Sponsored

jweggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I found someone willing to order a new GT Premium for 9% under MSRP. Incentives would be whatever when Ford finally builds it. They were guessing 2-3 months for delivery. I'm pretty tempted, since I could get it 'my way' with the exact color and options. The only thing really holding me back is whether I should wait for the S650, and whatever special edition comes out....then again, maybe I'm better served by buying this now, then selling in 3 years and buying a lightly used S650 special (Boss/Shelby/whatever they end up calling it). I guess in that scenario, I'd just be worried that my GT would suffer excessive depreciation due to being a S550. But I may be totally overthinking this. It's not like buying these cars is ever a good financial decision, hah.

jweggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

9% below MSRP is better than paying MSRP or more. My only thought on S550 vs 650 is the chance of problems/bugs that come with a new platform. Even if you do encounter problem you will have a factory warranty. I also suspect the 650 will cost more. Good luck and have fun!

luc13fr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
All depends on stock at the dealership. If they don’t have much, expect zero rebates. 6 months ago I was offered 29k for my 2019 PP2 super low mileage. Fast forward to now, they wanna give me 40k. Mind you, I paid 43,999 nov 2019. Prices are inflated right now due to shortages. There are models of cars that aren’t affected by this mostly due to them not usually selling as much. I’ve seen some Mercedes AMG models pretty reasonably priced that are barely 4-5 years old. And these were 100k+ cars new.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
My buying decisioning primarily pivots on an assessment of the political outlook which will be the determinant of the practicality of picking up another ICE vehicle, particularly one with low MPG

I currently have a 2016 GT with lots of mods, including a supercharger. I am riding it out with this as my second car, as I love it to death, and would never be able to recoup the investment I put into it.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
I just bought a leftover new 2020 GT Premium 6MT a few weeks ago. It had a $45k MSRP and I got about 10% off. The next nearest Ford dealer was trying to sell a leftover 2020 EcoBoost base for $1k over MSRP.

My decision was not based upon sound financial reasoning, but rather the rapidly approaching end of being able to buy a growling V8 sports car with a manual transmission. I could be wrong, but I suspect the S650 Mustang might sacrifice at the very least, the manual.

Yes, Ford is introducing a Bronco with a manual...that's awesome. But the take rate on Mustang manuals is not as high as you'd expect now that the automatic is faster and fairly nice.

The 2018 - current S550 does not have as nice of styling on the front end as the 2015-2017 S550, but the side profile and particularly the rear is simply excellent styling.
Sponsored