Sponsored

On a scale of 1-10, how bad of an idea is buying a new S550 in the next 6 months, and other buying questions

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
My situation-

I've been driving a MX-5 for the past 5 years and love it, but my wife is on my case about not being able to haul our toddler around, which is legit.

Frustratingly, as I finally come into a financial position where I could afford something nice, the dang pandemic/chip shortage happens. My original plan was to try and pick up a few year old, low mileage GT350 for ~$45k. That now being impossible, I was willing to raise my budget a bit and look at a M1. I finally got a chance to sit in one yesterday (no test drives, because, #reasons). I dunno, it just doesn't feel all that special to me, and the asking price just seems a tad outrageous considering the GT350 retailed for almost the same last year as a M1 premium.....Ford really messed up that one. And my primary use would not be tracking, that would just be a nice bonus.

Because of that I've been looking at new GT's (used prices are so high it appears not even worth considering). I'm currently looking at the premium because I love the digital dash, and might get the active exhaust because it seems like a useful feature. The GT premium with the 401a package prices out ~$45,000. MagneRide seems neat, but I'm not dropping ~$5k for the overpriced PP to get it, and that puts you back into M1 territory anyway, so I'm not sure who would even opt for a GT at that point.

I suppose my real question is, I know that these cars lose ~35% of their value over 5 years, which I am OK with. Does anyone know, pre-pandemic, what sorts of rebates were available on these? If similarly optioned cars were selling for $5-10k under MSRP, I might attempt to hold off, rather than eat the additional cost on the buying and selling end. Or hold out for the S650, which is probably what I should do anyway. But after waiting for so many years, I'm becoming impatient. Anyway thanks for the help
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I see lots of low mileage 2018 GTs for mid $30s. They are excellent values and have already taken the worst depreciation hits.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
My car worth right now about $8k more than what i paid for it 5 years ago. So, no, i wouldn't buy anything right now that is not a good solid deal but at the same time the market is so weird right now, that everything is selling like crazy.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I see lots of low mileage 2018 GTs for mid $30s. They are excellent values and have already taken the worst depreciation hits.
GT premiums? Regular GT MSRP is like $36k right?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Please, post up some links so we can see them.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Sold my 17 for what I paid for it brand new and ordered a new Mach one 2% under invoice pricing before Ford raised their prices recently. They're cutting incentives as well so buying a new S550 is probably not going to be good until this winter or so.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Like......level 12 bad.

If you have a 2nd or 3rd car you can sell for big $$$, that's the way to go. But it's not a buyer's market right now.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don’t think you’ll be happy with a run of the mill GT. After listening to the list of cars on your “want” list!

J-orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT vert
I bought my 2019 GT vert used with 13k miles for ~36k. MSRP was $53,200. I was fortunate to find a used car configured exactly how i would have ordered it. I had to fly to get it but it made a good road trip with my son and I. If I was in your shoes, I would hold out till the S650 comes out and do a factory order. If you spending that much coin, get what you want.

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If this is your primary family car, I would even bother test driving one. I only get away with it because my son very seldomly goes out in the Mustang.

Sponsored

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Get what you want, don't settle. I've a 2020 premium 401A PP1 car and I had to order it to get exactly what I wanted. I wanted a particular color and had to have the digital dash and 6M. Wish you the best with your purchase!

AfricanSnowOwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just bought my brand new 2020 GT premium last week. I was able to get the dealership to come down about $10k off the msrp. It helped a lot that I was getting a 2020, when the other dealerships had 21' models priced similarly. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I just bought my brand new 2020 GT premium last week. I was able to get the dealership to come down about $10k off the msrp. It helped a lot that I was getting a 2020, when the other dealerships had 21' models priced similarly. I am extremely happy with my purchase.
Yea that's amazing. I would totally buy a GT premium if I could get that kind of a discount, and then add on whatever bits and bobs I felt it was missing.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I would do a nationwide search and see what you can scare up. You may have to pay a couple grand to travel to drive it/ ship it to you, but opening up your geographic circle would be very valuable right now. Hate it for you though. I bought my used 2018 Roush at the start of the pandemic when everything dropped like a rock. For what I bought mine for with 5,700 miles on it you can't get a PP1 with 40K miles on it now. Just a crappy time to buy used right now. If a nationwide search doesn't help you, you may just want to sit on the sidelines for a little bit while the market hopefully unscrews itself. Good luck with it!

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ouch. I purchased my 18 GT in January 19, used with 11k miles and 11 months of ownership. 401a, active exhaust, shaker, blackout, and security package. MSRP ~45k. Paid 32K. Seeing mid 30s as a value is tough to me but true in the current (wacky) market.
Sponsored