Sponsored

Old tire stock sold as new, are these still good?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I bought 2 tires sold as New/unused tires off eBay and where highly discounted, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's size 325/30 20. Tires arrived and both had a manufacture stamp on the tire of 2012 so old warehouse stock. The tires where never mounted and, still had the colored lines on the tread, but the tread it self felt hard even after tires had warmed up in 70 degree environment. The sidewall rubber is soft and pliable and you can dig your finger into the rubber and it feels right. The tread however feels harder and does not give much when you push your finger nail into it, even a flat head screw driver pushed into the tread rubber leaves a mark that stays there for a while. Question is are these tires still good as there is so much conflicting information on the web. Some say tires never really go bad if stored inside and in cool dry climate and other say they are dangerous. After talking with Tire Rack and Discount tire they both say tires should last in a warehouse up to ten years without deteriorating. Europe has expiration standards on older tires, but apparently US has none, and nobody really knows for sure. Here are the tires and date stamp on these tires, and buy the way when I use a heat gun to warm up the tread rubber it gets softer and more pliable, but they still seem hard compared to my almost New Nitto G2's that are 4 years old.

Should I run these tires or send them back?
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Might be good enough for smoke shows but I would not trust them with my life...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you can verify how they were stored, I'd send them back.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Ain't nothing wrong with them dawg . Tread compounds are harder on the contact patch for a reason . Run em ......................

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
All of our local tire big name places wont fix, rebalance, rotate, etc, any tire that is 7 years old or older. So if you mount them up, you need to find a smaller tire shop that doesnt care about dates if you have any issues.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks for the responses and these tires are going back. To many concerns with these tires being 7 years old and the tread being really stiff. I'd never feel comfortable with over 750 whp and sometimes being in triple digit speeds.

I'll be getting newly released size this month on the Nitto G2's in 315/30 20

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
if no cracking they will be fine
but you got them off ebay,so they are yours now .

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
but you got them off ebay,so they are yours now .
not really how it works. There are tons of reputable sellers on ebay that would do the right thing, now if they are a one or two sales a year person instead of an actual company, you might get shafted but they have a lot more than that nowadays.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Got return shipping labels for both tires as I had ordered from different sellers, so both came good.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
not really how it works. There are tons of reputable sellers on ebay that would do the right thing, now if they are a one or two sales a year person instead of an actual company, you might get shafted but they have a lot more than that nowadays.
Doing the right thing would be not selling 7 year old tires in the first place.

But we don't know how heavily discounted they were so you also get that you pay for.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
go to a tire shop u like and leave ebay behind,its still the same
hassle its always been ,guys selling junk.
Go check out the Firsetones Indy500s.they are priced right and stick
like no bodys buisness

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
go to a tire shop u like and leave ebay behind,its still the same
hassle its always been ,guys selling junk.
Go check out the Firsetones Indy500s.they are priced right and stick
like no bodys buisness
Or actually compare prices and shops and go with the best deal because that's all it should be. I called around local shops and guys my local friends recommended and all of them said to go ahead and order the ebay one because they couldn't beat the deal but they'd do the mount and balance for a good price. If you're stuck on ebay being randos selling shit, more power to you but it isn't. DiscountTireDirect is who I ordered mine from and it was delivered three days later for the lowest price around because of a promo they were running.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
thats BS about not using Ebay. I bought 2 brand new Nittos with a few month old build date on Ebay from Discount Tires, saved almost 100 bucks and had them shipped right to my front door. A lot of businesses use Ebay now for brand new items, not junk.
Sponsored