On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey, @Norm Peterson

A DCT apparently is not an automatic.

Care to weigh in on this?

You'd be totally fine driving one, right?
I've said before that I'd drive a DCT-equipped car if I was reaching for a podium position in a race series that permitted DCTs if that's what it was going to take.

On the street, I'm a whole lot less sure. On pulling away from a full stop it's still going to drive away more like any other two-pedal car than a 3-pedal manual, and I know for sure that I'd always notice that. I don't think Tim has any idea just how noticeable that small difference is for me.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Until you experience it first hand, you assume it operates and feels like any automatic transmission. You go by what you know. This one is different. Give it a try and you will see.
I think I get what you're trying to say here. Sure, it ought to feel different from conventional TC-automatics.

But when it does my clutch work for me, or does any automated shifting whatsoever, it becomes an automated or fully automatic transmission. It can never be fully manually operated as long as you consider the clutch function to be an essential part of gear changing.

I know that a DCT works differently from conventional ATs mechanically (I've looked into how various transmission types work). But mechanical operating details are not the defining characteristic of automation. Just a different way for the automation to effect said gear changes.

Norm

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I freely admit: I was a diehard manual transmission fan (and I still love them) and was more than on the fence about the DCT in the GT500. I've yet to drive a TC auto that I've liked one bit. But the Tremec in this car... It is so... effin.. good. Driving the car for the first time it literally only took 5 minutes to understand why they went with it. The car just simply would not perform as well with a manual transmission.
You own one, you drive one, you NAILED it!

I have a garage full of manual Mustangs. I love them… I do enjoy rowing gears. The DCT equipped 2020+ GT500 changes a lot of minds when one gets behind the wheel. This car would have been ruined with a manual.

I have 8 manual transmission Mustangs and I bought two more for my sons. They are all great cars. The new GT500 nudged out my 2000 Cobra R as my favorite. The transmission has a lot to do with that #1 spot.

All I’m saying is for those that like to argue against it… give it a shot!

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Transmission for dummies:

Manual shifting: Step on clutch and Driver moves shifter to desired gear. When coming to a stop have to push clutch in to keep engine from stalling.

Anything else. IF at anytime something other than the driver (computer, etc) Can control the shifting then in someway it is considered automated....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All I’m saying is for those that like to argue against it… give it a shot!
I'm sure I'd be impressed by a DCT's performance on track. Even if it came packaged in cars down in the 400-ish HP range. Just not enough to be able to live with one in street driving.

Norm

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yep, here we go again, its the crowd from the "manual or bust" thread.

Sure, lets all argue about it again, lol

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Driving the car for the first time it literally only took 5 minutes to understand why they went with it. The car just simply would not perform as well with a manual transmission.
Well said.
Yep, here we go again, its the crowd from the "manual or bust" thread.
I get the same vibe. Sigh...

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Transmission for dummies:

Manual shifting: Step on clutch and Driver moves shifter to desired gear. When coming to a stop have to push clutch in to keep engine from stalling.

Anything else. IF at anytime something other than the driver (computer, etc) Can control the shifting then in someway it is considered automated....
I guess I am the “dummy” since you are explaining this to me. By the way, I felt compelled to fix all the spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in your dummy-argument.

BF29D5EC-DE2E-498F-8EDB-BF4A0472C7D0.jpeg

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I am the “dummy” since you are explaining this to me. By the way, I felt compelled to fix all the spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in your dummy-argument.
Touché

clavery1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16' GT3RS
Someone commented on my YouTube channel that Ford should offer this transmission in the rest of the Mustang lineup to include the GT and ecoboost Mustangs. I replied that it is too expensive of a tranny and would seriously drive up the price of the cheaper Mustangs. I had heard this thing costs $20k. It would be impossible to offer that in a cheap entry level Mustang.

It is an amazing piece of machinery though and with the ability to stay in boost while cracking-off shifts, it is a game changer!
$15792.00. so yeah, half of an ecoboost right there.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You jackass. Rudolf Hess stole a nazi warplane, flew to Scotland, and tried to negotiate a peaceful end to WWII. IMHO he did something to stop a horrible war.

Why are you here stirring the pot? By definition, you are a troll. Keep it up.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Hess's motives are still unknown to this day. We do know he was complicit in many of the atrocities committed both during and before the war. He was principle in Hitler's rise to power (if his own influence had waned by 1941). After the war, he was tried, and found guilty of war crimes during the Nuremberg Trials.

Why he flew to Scotland, we will likely never know. Even if the British had agreed with his proposals, he didn't have approval from Hitler. Any agreement made with Hess, would have been made with Hess alone. It is also very likely that he was mentally ill.

So, are you defending this guy? A literal, actual Nazi (not to mention Grammar Nazi)
No, I'm not defending this guy, I'm attacking a troll, such as yourself.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Someone commented on my YouTube channel that Ford should offer this transmission in the rest of the Mustang lineup to include the GT and ecoboost Mustangs. I replied that it is too expensive of a tranny and would seriously drive up the price of the cheaper Mustangs. I had heard this thing costs $20k. It would be impossible to offer that in a cheap entry level Mustang.

It is an amazing piece of machinery though and with the ability to stay in boost while cracking-off shifts, it is a game changer!

But it don't cost $20k more than original... and is 100% doable.

boze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boze
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2018 Shelby GT350, 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE
goose17,
after ford has gone to the trouble to make all things functional on the GT500 you went and added fake scoops on the rear quarter windows, how come?
you don't seem like the type.
Sponsored