Sponsored

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Fun video!
Don’t worry about the alcantara. You can easily and safely wipe it down with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Let it air dry. Done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Fun video!
Don’t worry about the alcantara. You can easily and safely wipe it down with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Let it air dry. Done.
I know it can be cleaned, but the collector in me will do what I can to keep it from getting gunked-up in the first place.

Years down the road, paint can be reshot, but some of the soft parts in the interior will be a challenge to recreate. My 04 Mystichrome Terminator is an extreme example of this. The color changing leather used on the seats and steering wheel came from a one-time batch of specialty leather that cannot be recreated. There are owners that didn’t take care of their steering wheel/seats that are now SOL. My car only has 500 miles on it and I have a complete second set of interior leather, so I should be covered.

1711B30F-51F9-4199-BBC1-B8DEC011F57C.jpeg

3471B03E-3143-4D09-B999-5151FCE5C6F7.jpeg

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
I feel ya. At least the gloves keep skin oil off the material. I appreciate an owner who keeps the car “like new”. These are not cheap or disposable.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I know someone with a take off pair of 2020 GT500 Recaro seat covers, if anyone is interested in having a mint set of replacements :sunglasses:

There is a member on this site that has first dibs if he is still interested.

Sponsored

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Have had a DCT in the wife’s VW GTI for ten years and still don’t like the paddles. They seem useless as if I want to go hard in it I simply put it in sport mode and it flies but I never really drive it for fun. So while I have no doubt about anything said by everyone, it’s not for me.
Very poor comparison. I daily a MK7 GTI and the DSG is crap compared to the Tremec.The MK7 is only a few years old. I can’t imagine how bad a 10 year old one must be.

Unless you’ve driven a GT500 yourself statements like this make zero sense.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I know someone with a take off pair of 2020 GT500 Recaro seat covers, if anyone is interested in having a mint set of replacements :sunglasses:

There is a member on this site that has first dibs if he is still interested.
Depending on price, I am interested Jaime. Same for the steering wheel.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hey, @Norm Peterson

A DCT apparently is not an automatic.

Care to weigh in on this?

You'd be totally fine driving one, right?
From the article below:

“First and foremost, mechanically, this is a manual transmission. There is no torque converter, nor does the trans have bands or planetary gears. It has a clutch, and internally the box looks similar to any synchronized manual trans you've seen.”

“In fact, those who are uneducated are even calling it an automatic.”

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/w...clutch-transmission-new-shelby-gt500-mustang/

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's nice. If you spin the knob over to 'D' and hit the gas, what does it do?

You can argue semantics all you want. End of the day, the transmission has the capability of operating without driver input. One might even say it is able to shift...automatically.

It might not have a torque converter, but it sure ain't a manual transmission. I'm sure Norm will agree with me here (as Hell freezes over), once you take the driver out of the equation by any means, it stops being a "manual" transmission.
Until you experience it first hand, you assume it operates and feels like any automatic transmission. You go by what you know. This one is different. Give it a try and you will see.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have been saying that for a while now. Finally people get it.

This is not an automatic transmission. An automatic trans has a torque converter, the DCT has two manual clutches that are electronically controlled.
Here we go again . . . having a torque converter does not define a transmission's ability to do its own shifting independent of active driver input.

IOW, the shifts can still be automated (that "automatic" thing) in a DCT.

I'm not saying that somehow makes a DCT a full-on slushbox or even a 10R80-level of conventional TC-automatic, only that because it does include automation and can be driven in a fully automatic shifting mode it's still an automated transmission.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
Yes, and I'd bet the reasoning behind that decision was to help alleviate the stigma associated with automatics being "not for real drivers". Key word is still "automated".

There are also single-clutch automated manuals, only furthering muddying the waters. One example of this would be the Pagani Huayra. They didn't go the dual-clutch route because of weight savings. The actual operation of the clutch is still handled by a computer.

Blurring the lines further, are sequential manuals (which don't use the clutch after 1st-gear). Not likely to see those outside of race applications though, so kind of a moot point.

Oh shit, I just realized something. People like to say that "gender is a spectrum", or some other such nonsense. They're wrong. It's actually transmissions that have a spectrum :cwl:
Yeah... It becomes a tricky subject from a manufacturer advertisement standpoint also because the moment you mention 'automatic' to most car enthusiasts they think back to prior experiences with the slow, lazy TC autos we've all driven. How do you make potential buyers aware of the difference? They have to very clearly differentiate it somehow (hence: automated manual, etc).

I freely admit: I was a diehard manual transmission fan (and I still love them) and was more than on the fence about the DCT in the GT500. I've yet to drive a TC auto that I've liked one bit. But the Tremec in this car... It is so... effin.. good. Driving the car for the first time it literally only took 5 minutes to understand why they went with it. The car just simply would not perform as well with a manual transmission.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
From the article below:

“First and foremost, mechanically, this is a manual transmission. There is no torque converter, nor does the trans have bands or planetary gears. It has a clutch, and internally the box looks similar to any synchronized manual trans you've seen.”

“In fact, those who are uneducated are even calling it an automatic.”
Mechanically operated but computer-automated in part all of the time (clutch engagement/disengagement). Automated in full in any mode that features shifting not directed by the driver.

Transmission gear selection first needs some sort of active determination as to what gear to select. That makes the logic behind gear selection the top-level definition of automation, either completely by the human driver (manual) or by various forms of hydraulic and/or electronic logic in any automated mode (automatic). Detail levels of mechanical operation can't change that.

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited: