Sponsored

Ok to rotate same-size tires on staggered wheels?

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have 305 width tires all around, but my wheels are staggered (10.5 front, 11 back), so the front tires are a little bit meatier.

Is it okay to rotate the those front tires from the 10.5" front wheels to the 11" back wheels?

The tire/wheel shop that put them on said it is not a good idea, so I wanted to get more opinions.

The tires are stiff Toyo R888R's (which I'm totally living compared to the Michelin PSS's, they grip more even with more air pressure)
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Do you mean remove the tires from the wheels and have them remounted on the other wheels? Then absolutely. You will need to balance them again but other than that it’s fine

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Why did you go with a staggered set up if rotating the tires was a priority?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have 305 width tires all around, but my wheels are staggered (10.5 front, 11 back), so the front tires are a little bit meatier.

Is it okay to rotate the those front tires from the 10.5" front wheels to the 11" back wheels?

The tire/wheel shop that put them on said it is not a good idea, so I wanted to get more opinions.

The tires are stiff Toyo R888R's (which I'm totally living compared to the Michelin PSS's, they grip more even with more air pressure)
Without offsets of your wheels, no one will be able to tell you. Rears may not fit on the front without a spacer.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Without offsets of your wheels, no one will be able to tell you. Rears may not fit on the front without a spacer.
The way it is wrote he is asking if he can have the front tires put on the rear wheels and the rear tires put on the front wheels

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The way it is wrote he is asking if he can have the front tires put on the rear wheels and the rear tires put on the front wheels
Yep, but thinking about what kz wrote, if the offsets are the same it would probably work. A difference of 1/2" wheel width makes less than 1/4" difference in tread width, a top driver would notice but most normal drivers wouldn't.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
But that makes zero sense since all 4 tires are the same. Of course they would fit, why wouldn't they ?

ET50mm 11 inch wide rear wheel with 305 tire on it will absolutely not fit on the front without 25 mm (at least) spacer.

Typical offset for staggered fit like this is 25-ish mm front, 50-ish mm rear.

OP
OP
trusktr

trusktr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
But that makes zero sense since all 4 tires are the same. Of course they would fit, why wouldn't they ?

ET50mm 11 inch wide rear wheel with 305 tire on it will absolutely not fit on the front without 25 mm (at least) spacer.

Typical offset for staggered fit like this is 25-ish mm front, 50-ish mm rear.
I'm not planning to move the wheels around, just the tires. I know it'll fit, since all tires are the same size, but for some reason the tire shop told me not to do that?

Is there maybe some sort of permanent deformation of the tire structure from the meaty front fitment, that may perhaps lose integrity when being stretched back out in the back wheels?

These R888R's are very stiff.

I asked the tire guy why not, but he didn't really say.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm not planning to move the wheels around, just the tires. I know it'll fit, since all tires are the same size, but for some reason the tire shop told me not to do that?

Is there maybe some sort of permanent deformation of the tire structure from the meaty front fitment, that may perhaps lose integrity when being stretched back out in the back wheels?

Did your tire installer say why? Could you please share that with us?

This may help:

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunt...ered-vehicle-can-i-go-back-to-a-square-set-up

Also you didn't mention what size wheels you have so here are all of them. So long as you are rotating them on a regular basis and the overall tire height doesn't change you should be fine doing it.

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
2,039 lbs​
50 psi​
6.3/32"​
31 lbs​
10-12"
11"​
12.3"​
11.6"​
26.4"​
786​
1,874 lbs​
50 psi​
6.3/32"​
31 lbs​
10.5-11.5"
11"​
12.3"​
11.8"​
26.3"​
791​
1,984 lbs​
51 psi​
6.3/32"​
34 lbs​
10-12"
11"​
12.3"​
11.6"​
28.4"​
731​

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

I haven't mounted tire in my life but I do believe stiffer side wall tires are easier to mount once previously mounted - I don't think it's permanent deformation, maybe just less stiffness. I don't see a reason to not do it if you plan on doing it once, doing it on a regular basis will likely damage the tire eventually.

Much more convenient way to go is square set of wheels if you plan on rotating them.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't mounted tire in my life but I do believe stiffer side wall tires are easier to mount once previously mounted - I don't think it's permanent deformation, maybe just less stiffness. I don't see a reason to not do it if you plan on doing it once, doing it on a regular basis will likely damage the tire eventually.

Much more convenient way to go is square set of wheels if you plan on rotating them.
Yeah they’re easier to mount/dismount once broken in and worn a bit. I think something about less tread.

Anyway I’ve done this a ton with 285 track tires, more to flip them left/right on direction tires than to flip front/back but yeah did that too.

They’ll be slippery for a bit until the wear i to their new home corner FYI.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

The tire guy wants to sell you new tires. not help you stretch the life of the tires you have. Rotating tires to different wheels is fine as long as the sizes are compatible like they are here. The old Goodyear spec tires for the SRF were a single size, with a 5.5" F / 7" R wheel stagger. Rotating the front tires (only) to the rear was a common way to extend tire life. And the loading on those tires was more different, with a bigger wheel size difference front to rear than with a Mustang.

There is a point at which it is not worthwhile, depending on what the tire shop charges for mounting and demounting tires. And of course fresh tires are better. But I imagine tire costs are particularly high right now, so I imagine it would be very worthwhile.

PS - why pick those wheels, check his car info, a GT350 comes with 10.5" F / 11" R wheels stock.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
The only damage I see here that could be happening is scratching/scuffing the rims. Other than that many of the people I know that run same size tires on their stagger set up get this done. Tires aren't cheap
Sponsored