Sponsored

Ok, I put in 10 quarts of oil, but still shows 1 quart low?

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Two things. First, did you check that ALL quarts (or jugs) were at the right level??? I ask because not long ago I found a jug that was about 1 qt low... but I always check fluid level before buying. It'd be extremely rare that just your car is that low with 10 quarts. Second, did you already use the car? It's going to read low until you do that.

Finally, if fluid level is below the top of the hash marks, I'd definitely add oil up to that level. It's always better to have your fluid levels to the max allowed, for obvious reasons. But with this car, I'll only top off oil level to the top of the hash marks.
Haha, I used to think I was pretty anal about my fluid levels.. until I meet JC :)
The two 5 qt containers I used appeared to be full.

Here's what I did:
The car had sat for 2 days, so it was stone cold, it was June 2020 - 1,067 miles (I live in Tampa).
I didn't start the car, I just used a floor jack and jacked up the front end and placed Race Ramps under the front tires.
Started the main drain with both engine oil cap and oil stick out of engine.
During the main drain, I crack the oil Filter loose and oil started over flowing from around the filter.
I let it both holes drain about 1/2 hr.
Once that was complete, I poured in 9 1/2 qts.
Started engine ran for a few mins and checked oil after it was turned off for 5 min..
Didn't see oil on the hash marks, so poured in the last 1/2 qt.
Went for a fun ride around the neighborhood, maybe 10 miles.
Came back, waited 15 mins and checked oil, it was at the bottom edge of the hash marks.
Walked to the store and bought another qt of Wellcraft 5-20 oil.
Poured in another 1/3 (10oz), that brought it up to 1/3 from the top of hash marks
I've now put another 1,000 miles on the car and I've add the rest of the 11th qt (20oz) and I'm still at about 1/3 from the top hash mark.
So it does use a little oil. I'll give it till about 4,000 to settle in, and if still using oil, I'll switch to 5-30 weight.

And that's my story.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's strange. Before anyting else, you're measuring oil level COLD with the car perfectly flat (in your garage), right? Just to be sure :). That's the only consistent way to do it, so always do it at the same spot from now on. By the way, never change oil cold. It doesn't matter much now, since your car only had 1K+ miles, but all the crap sticks to the bottom of the pad when cold, so that's why you need to do it hot. You can wait a little so oil cools off a bit, but do it hot.

At any rate, measure your dipstick from where it sits on the yellow tube, to the top of the hash marks, and let's see how it compares to others here, to rule that out.

rotnroby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 2500 Denali 2017 H2254 gt350
My 17 manual says wait 15 minutes .
my problem is I can not see the oil on the dip stick since I change it every 3 K .
i thought it was consuming oil , went to the dealer which changed the oil, 1st putting in 9 qts and marking the dip stick then adding the last qt and marking that spot .
my dip stick is , was not right on the full location .
now I’ve adjusted to that but still check i5 pretty much every drive .

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That's strange. Before anyting else, you're measuring oil level COLD with the car perfectly flat (in your garage), right? Just to be sure :). That's the only consistent way to do it, so always do it at the same spot from now on. By the way, never change oil cold. It doesn't matter much now, since your car only had 1K+ miles, but all the crap sticks to the bottom of the pad when cold, so that's why you need to do it hot. You can wait a little so oil cools off a bit, but do it hot.

At any rate, measure your dipstick from where it sits on the yellow tube, to the top of the hash marks, and let's see how it compares to others here, to rule that out.
For better or worse, I always check my oil when it's cold, and has sat overnight.
(except when changing the oil, and I need immediate results)
And I always check it in the same place, my very flat garage.
We can discuss the pluses/minuses when changing the oil when it's cold, later.

I measured my dip stick.
It measured from the top of the hash mark to the O-ring as 18 3/4".
From the top of hash mark to the part that hits the top of the oil tube cap it's about 19 1/4".

What say you?

oil stick1.jpg
oil stick2.jpg

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I can't believe there is a 4 page thread on how to check the oil level in a wet sump car. Simply incredible. :facepalm:
Lolz! If only this thing came with an owner's manual...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
From the top of hash mark to the part that hits the top of the oil tube cap it's about 19 1/4". What say you?
Exactly the same, as expected, so you're good there. There's no other explanation that you just somehow didn't pour 10 quarts in there man... and that can only be that the jugs weren't full. Next time check the jugs at the store, and level should be up to the hash marks. By the way, you cannot tell if you have exactly 5 quarts in a jug since they're missing the 5th mark, but I already know where the level should be, more or less. And yes, I always check oil level cold (it's almost identical to 15 minutes after shutdown), and at the same spot, for consistency. And to monitor oil consumption. Hopefully your car is not drinking too much.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My 17 manual says wait 15 minutes .
my problem is I can not see the oil on the dip stick since I change it every 3 K .
i thought it was consuming oil , went to the dealer which changed the oil, 1st putting in 9 qts and marking the dip stick then adding the last qt and marking that spot .
my dip stick is , was not right on the full location .
now I’ve adjusted to that but still check i5 pretty much every drive .
I thought the 15 -17 5.0s took less oil than the 18+ cars? My 19 takes 10qts.

Sponsored
OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Exactly the same, as expected, so you're good there. There's no other explanation that you just somehow didn't pour 10 quarts in there man... and that can only be that the jugs weren't full. Next time check the jugs at the store, and level should be up to the hash marks. By the way, you cannot tell if you have exactly 5 quarts in a jug since they're missing the 5th mark, but I already know where the level should be, more or less. And yes, I always check oil level cold (it's almost identical to 15 minutes after shutdown), and at the same spot, for consistency. And to monitor oil consumption. Hopefully your car is not drinking too much.
Thanks JC, appreciate your responses.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Fair enough Colorado, but do me a favor, check your oil cold, after it sits all night, and tell me where it measures on the stick and if it's different then the 15 or 30 min time frame.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have to ask, is it different? Have you done this and if so does it change where you want your oil to show on the dipstick from what Ford says is ok?

Fair enough Colorado, but do me a favor, check your oil cold, after it sits all night, and tell me where it measures on the stick and if it's different then the 15 or 30 min time frame.
Sponsored