Sponsored

Ok, I put in 10 quarts of oil, but still shows 1 quart low?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
it is a thin blade. It is not displaced , each side from one another, to make a difference. Fractional at best. If the dipstick was a round rod or squared off I could agree.

the most the difference can be is the thickness of the side of the stick. If you put it in such that one side is higher than the other, take the midpoint of each side.

This is also how you check the oil on a hill.
Face the car one way and take a reading. Turn the car around 180 the other way and take a reading. The real values it the midpoint between the two readings.
Sponsored

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
So do you guys recommend I top it off or just leave it how it is rn which is a little more that half on the dipstick. I’m gonna have the oil so I figure I might as well but I don’t want to overfill.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
check it hot.

If it still reads in the middle, add if you want. The dots are the oil operating range. Anywhere between them is fine.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
it is a thin blade. It is not displaced , each side from one another, to make a difference. Fractional at best. If the dipstick was a round rod or squared off I could agree.

the most the difference can be is the thickness of the side of the stick. If you put it in such that one side is higher than the other, take the midpoint of each side.

This is also how you check the oil on a hill.
Face the car one way and take a reading. Turn the car around 180 the other way and take a reading. The real values it the midpoint between the two readings.
The tip of the stick may curve a little bit inwards as it nears the bottom, causing one flat side to be facing more 'up' than the other side. This could account for the slight difference that I see.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
the dipstick can only bend slightly along the thin side.

the most you can be off is that thickness. It is maybe a 1/16" in thickness, if that.

the most off you can be is if the stick was laying on its side but then it would have no reading at all. So as you approach horizontal, the most you can be off is that thickness.

Not enough to care.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It is like most things on here, people tend to do things the way they like to do it. Some want it right on the top mark, others are fine with having it within the range that the manufacture calls for. I run 10 quarts in mine.....once you open that 11th quart, just know that it's shelf life just went way down...just in case you still have it a year or so later.

What is for sure, having too much is worst than having it sitting between the marks for most applications...there are some "race" cases where people will overfill to account for banked curves, etc. in certain engines.

So do you guys recommend I top it off or just leave it how it is rn which is a little more that half on the dipstick. I’m gonna have the oil so I figure I might as well but I don’t want to overfill.

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
It is like most things on here, people tend to do things the way they like to do it. Some want it right on the top mark, others are fine with having it within the range that the manufacture calls for. I run 10 quarts in mine.....once you open that 11th quart, just know that it's shelf life just went way down...just in case you still have it a year or so later.

What is for sure, having too much is worst than having it sitting between the marks for most applications...there are some "race" cases where people will overfill to account for banked curves, etc. in certain engines.
Ok I’ll just leave it how it is and keep the oil for when I need to add more. Thanks

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Make a habit of checking the oil; often people forget to check it between oil changes. :)

Ok I’ll just leave it how it is and keep the oil for when I need to add more. Thanks

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So do you guys recommend I top it off or just leave it how it is
Leave it like that man, at least for now. I drained the oil on my car for hours, until nothing came out. And 10-qts left level right at the top of the hash mark... but had to check level like 10 times, as it kept changing. So left it alone, and after using the car a few times, it was at the top of the hash marks. At that point, I proceeded to top it off to the max dot... but by 350 miles, it was back down to the top of the hash marks, which freaked me out a little, since my engine didn't consume any oil up to the point when I changed the oil at 1,128 miles.

Fortunately, after driving 600 miles Tuesday, my fears of oil consumption didn't materialize, since level was exactly the same after I came back. So from now on, will just add the full two 5-gal jugs of Mobil1 0/30, and leave it alone. For some reason, my engine doesn't seem to like to be above the hash marks, so that will be my new top level from now on. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
the dipstick can only bend slightly along the thin side.

the most you can be off is that thickness. It is maybe a 1/16" in thickness, if that.

the most off you can be is if the stick was laying on its side but then it would have no reading at all. So as you approach horizontal, the most you can be off is that thickness.

Not enough to care.
Yes, that's about what I'm seeing, about 1/16" difference.

Sponsored

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Thanks KZ for your comment above.

I went out and bought an 11th Quart and added about 1/2 Quart, it brought the reading up to 1/2 between the two holes.
I'm very careful about checking my oil levels. And I always check cold. I understand how Dry and Wet sumps work, but the Mustang is Wet sump.

I'm also sure a number of folks on this forum also track their oil levels closely, so if you really need part of the 11th Quart to make it measure right, they would eventually respond.
had mine changed at the dealer
They charged me for 11 quarts

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think folks are over thinking this oil level thing. The manual even says it should be BETWEEN the min and max marks. The max mark is just that...MAX....not a fill to line. Just my 2 cents. Just like I dont get all the diff weights of oil some are putting in the engine. It says 5w20, or 5w30 if tracking. At least on the GT, not sure at 350s or 500s.

OP
OP
number 6

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think folks are over thinking this oil level thing. The manual even says it should be BETWEEN the min and max marks. The max mark is just that...MAX....not a fill to line. Just my 2 cents. Just like I dont get all the diff weights of oil some are putting in the engine. It says 5w20, or 5w30 if tracking. At least on the GT, not sure at 350s or 500s.
The deal with me is that I put in 10 qts, as the book says, and it registered at the very bottom of the hash marks. That would indicate I should add an 11th qt.
I was wondering if others had noticed that.
Or are dip sticks different lengths?

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The deal with me is that I put in 10 qts, as the book says, and it registered at the very bottom of the hash marks. That would indicate I should add an 11th qt.
I was wondering if others had noticed that.
Or are dip sticks different lengths?
You could be on to something with the dip stick length. Wouldnt be the first time I've seen dip sticks improperly marked or the wrong length. At the bottom would prob concern me too. Mine lands just above the half way mark with 10qts.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The deal with me is that I put in 10 qts, as the book says, and it registered at the very bottom of the hash marks.
Two things. First, did you check that ALL quarts (or jugs) were at the right level??? I ask because not long ago I found a jug that was about 1 qt low... but I always check fluid level before buying. It'd be extremely rare that just your car is that low with 10 quarts. Second, did you already use the car? It's going to read low until you do that.

Finally, if fluid level is below the top of the hash marks, I'd definitely add oil up to that level. It's always better to have your fluid levels to the max allowed, for obvious reasons. But with this car, I'll only top off oil level to the top of the hash marks.
Sponsored