Sponsored

OK GUYS! Best Looking Color Wheel on a Race RED Mustang / Shelby ? ? ? ? What is it ? ? ? ?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think it’s not so much cleaning the wheels. But you get swirls in the high gloss black just like any black car from cleaning. So that’s what really bothers me is the imperfections from clean more than the actual cleaning
This is incorrect.

Wheels have a baked-on powder coat finish, not a basecoat/clear-coat finish like the body. Powder coated finish is incredibly tough, I've never seen any swirls in them, not in 6+ years of owning them.
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Nothing goes with red other than black.
Respectfully disagree, I think silver or gunmetal can look good, but black is probably best for most bright colored paints

Mobotoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red w/white Stripes, CFTP
I think it’s not so much cleaning the wheels. But you get swirls in the high gloss black just like any black car from cleaning. So that’s what really bothers me is the imperfections from clean more than the actual cleaning
May I suggest having your local detail shop ceramic coat your wheels then... I am already planning on doing that with both my carbon fiber and black chrome rims to combat the abrasion all wheels see. Good Ceramic coatings properly applied do increase the hardness of the surface (which is a major factor in scratchability - is that a word?)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Getting a New Race Red. Going with White Stripes and black pinstripes on a GT500.

Going with a Monoblock Wheel or maybe a 3 piece.

Silver Brushed wheels?

Black Chrome?

I have Gloss Black now and they are a pain in the Ass to keep clean. Maybe matt or semi gloss Black?

Love to hear what you guys think and why.

Any photos are great as well.
My opinion now is that black wheels are a dime a dozen. Everyone and their mother has a car with black wheels now. I get it, they look good. I bought black SVE R350 wheels for my silver 2018 GT PP1 last year. Looked awesome, but disappeared in photos unless you had a good camera with good dynamic range. That said, I got my ‘21 ZL1 which comes with forged aluminum graphite color wheels and I’m glad they aren’t black. They look great and show more detail in person in low light and in photos.
Other opinions:
no chrome, too 90s/2000s
Don’t go plain silver
A brushed aluminum finish looks good, less common these days

My car is the shadow gray metallic, and a buddy of mine spotted this red ZL1 last night (in Portland).

53EEC166-BDE9-47ED-8310-6F00D327C3EF.jpeg

BC4E6CAA-9872-4546-91CD-51097BFEA65A.jpeg

19s550gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 gt pp1
I think the black looks best on the race red, but that’s just my opinion! Good luck on your choice!

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Race Red with silver brushed. Easy to clean with a wheel brush.
ms4.jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Gun metal is the way to go for people that don’t want to be cleaning those wheels every day. Clean=gun metal. Dirty=gray. But they don’t show the dirt like black.

OP
OP
socal2fast

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is incorrect.

Wheels have a baked-on powder coat finish, not a basecoat/clear-coat finish like the body. Powder coated finish is incredibly tough, I've never seen any swirls in them, not in 6+ years of owning them.
i have powder coated high gloss black wheels now for the past 3 years. Some people don’t see cleaning and swirl marks in black. It stands out to my eyes a lot.

Sponsored

Evil Eye

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just went through the same thing a few months ago. I bought a brand new set of Velgen Classic 5 wheels in matte silver. I knew I didn't want to keep them silver but had a hard time deciding between gloss black, bronze or gunmetal. I finally chose gloss black powder coat and couldn't be happier with the end result.