Sponsored

Oil Udder? No more plastic grocery bag for our oil filter changes?

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Apologies if this has been posted previously...

Came across this and ordered one...if it saves me a) the aforementioned and still messy grocery bag process and b) drilling a PIA drain hole in the bottom of the filter...it will be well worth the money.

https://oiludder.com/

Anyone tried one?...seems like a good solution for a timeless issue...not sure if it would help on the newer style cartridge filters.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I'm interested. I have been using an upside down plastic carbonated water bottle to remove my filter - cut the bottom off and once the filter is "loose", use the bottle to unscrew the filter. Works ok, but it is too stiff. This seems like it would work.

Balatgek1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Apologies if this has been posted previously...

Came across this and ordered one...if it saves me a) the aforementioned and still messy grocery bag process and b) drilling a PIA drain hole in the bottom of the filter...it will be well worth the money.

https://oiludder.com/

Anyone tried one?...seems like a good solution for a timeless issue...not sure if it would help on the newer style cartridge filters.
I wrote these guys this is the E Mail'

I have a 2019 Shelby GT350 with a canister type oil filter, the canister it self is plastic with a
1-1/16th nut molded into the bottom, will this fit and work for my application?

Hi Rich,
Very cool ride. As for your question I'd love to have a perfect solution for you but I might actually advise buying a "Form-A-Funnel" for this application. Our product would not have anything ferrious to stick too unless you glued some kind of steel puck to the bottom. We do work well at angles when you open the filter very slowly (think slowly pouring a coffee cup) but I only tested thoat on standard spin-on filters. The oil runs down the sides pretty well, not sure about plastic housings. The only chance I think we would have is if there was a way to hold our product against the joint while you open it. It would form around the components and maybe allow you to catch the mess but again that is lot of "if's" I don't want to send you down a path that is bad just to try to get a sale. Not how we do things here. That all said, if it does run down the side well and you can hold the Oil Udder in there it might actually work damn well. The XL would give you a 4" cup size and maybe be enough for the job but my gut is still with the Form-A-Funnel product.

I hope this was helpful at some level. Again awesome ride.

Kevin

PS If you want to try and it doesn't work just send it back. I am curious myself and that is a good data point for us. The code "udderguys" will knock of 20% as well.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That method works on 2016 and early 2017 GT350's, but around March 2017, Ford switched to cartridge filters.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
5.2 VooDoo

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
:headbang:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Exactly - he had a 2016 or early 2017 GT350 with the spin-on filter, which is what I have as well. Ford discontinued that filter and replaced it with a cartridge filter that has a permanent housing. The 2017+ filter looks similar to this:

1605634241581.png

I suppose you could drill a hole in the housing to drain it, but with the filter in the $25 range and a replacement housing probably double that, each oil change would get pretty expensive.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Exactly - he had a 2016 or early 2017 GT350 with the spin-on filter, which is what I have as well. Ford discontinued that filter and replaced it with a cartridge filter that has a permanent housing. The 2017+ filter looks similar to this:

1605634241581.png

I suppose you could drill a hole in the housing to drain it, but with the filter in the $25 range and a replacement housing probably double that, each oil change would get pretty expensive.
I'm confused... aren't you supposed to throw away the cartridge after every oil change just like the spin filter?

Sponsored