OP
OP

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
20200608_150937.jpg
I was in the white one with the flag on the roof and i miss typed i hit 275 not 265. I mean't to come find you.
I ended packing up early because when I came off the track I heard a noise coming from under front fender. Looks like I found maybe a lip spoiler screw someone lost.

You plan on doing any of the other days at MSR in June/July? Thinking I might be done until Sept.
Sponsored

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
20200608_150937.jpg

I ended packing up early because when I came off the track I heard a noise coming from under front fender. Looks like I found maybe a lip spoiler screw someone lost.

You plan on doing any of the other days at MSR in June/July? Thinking I might be done until Sept.
Man that sucks but that looks fixable for sure. There's no more events there till Sept so i will take the summer off and just do maintenance and install Scroth harness.

OP
OP

zsommer79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater
Man that sucks but that looks fixable for sure. There's no more events there till Sept so i will take the summer off and just do maintenance and install Scroth harness.
Driver's Edge has a couple events on the 1.7 coming up but not going to fight the heat to drive the short track. Will keep an eye out for you in the fall.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Di

Thanks for chiming in, that makes me way more comfortable pushing harder next time out. I want to run COTA in the fall, what groups do you instruct for and are you available to by request?
I run with Edge Addicts. They're great for COTA track time. If you're local, I'll be there June 20-21 instructing (not driving). Will have the new pup with me. Should be a good time.

And absolutely. Just asked Trevor/Karen during your signup (or send them an email). If you let me know beforehand, I typically mention it to Trevor when he's doing assignments as well.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
260 most I ever hit on mountain roads 95 degrees ambient

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Since its introduction in the 2011 model year, Ford's current ECU has a lot of "guardrails" in it to protect the engine. Basically, if you're running the stock calibration, it's virtually impossible to push the engine into a situation where it'll get too hot - the ECU will pull power and, if necessary, go all the way to limp mode to protect the motor. Now, going into limp mode when you're exiting a corner on a crowded track is not a recommended practice, so mind the temps - the oil and CHT temps matter most and the ECU starts to pay attention at around 270 degrees, with full intervention just over 300.

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
I'm sure most of you know this already, but there is not an actual engine oil temperature sensor on these cars. Its an inferred value based on math from the engine coolant temperature and probably ambient temperature. I'm sure ford spent some time with engineers and actual temp sensors to come up with the formula, but who knows the actual degree of accuracy. They do have temperature sensors in the transmission and rear differential however.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm sure most of you know this already, but there is not an actual engine oil temperature sensor on these cars. Its an inferred value based on math from the engine coolant temperature and probably ambient temperature. I'm sure ford spent some time with engineers and actual temp sensors to come up with the formula, but who knows the actual degree of accuracy.
I'd buy that for $1. Which makes no sense why they wouldn't add an actual oil temp sensor with all the other monitoring on this car. Unless like back in the old days where they took "real" gauges out of cars because people complained about them moving too much.

I have real, mechanical, oil temp gauges on two other cars, so I'm familiar with the oil temp characteristics. The very first time I drove this thing the 3/10's of a mile to the exit of my neighborhood, creeping along in 2nd gear, in 35* temperatures, after sitting all night...and the oil temp was already over 100*???...I call BS! No way 10 quarts of oil was that warm that fast under those conditions.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Since its introduction in the 2011 model year, Ford's current ECU has a lot of "guardrails" in it to protect the engine. Basically, if you're running the stock calibration, it's virtually impossible to push the engine into a situation where it'll get too hot - the ECU will pull power and, if necessary, go all the way to limp mode to protect the motor. Now, going into limp mode when you're exiting a corner on a crowded track is not a recommended practice, so mind the temps - the oil and CHT temps matter most and the ECU starts to pay attention at around 270 degrees, with full intervention just over 300.
If you dump all your coolant it'll hit limp mode. That's one way! CHTs of 270* or above will limit rpm to 1800 or so and fire alternate cylinders.

I'm sure most of you know this already, but there is not an actual engine oil temperature sensor on these cars. Its an inferred value based on math from the engine coolant temperature and probably ambient temperature. I'm sure ford spent some time with engineers and actual temp sensors to come up with the formula, but who knows the actual degree of accuracy. They do have temperature sensors in the transmission and rear differential however.
When Ford performance racing school was testing their endurance GT350R race car, they found that the calculated number was actually LOWER than their dedicated sensor and gauge in a metal oil pan. So I definitely wouldn't bet the farm on the OEM gauge.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think I read that Ford reduced the grill opening in 2019, I wonder if enlarging would help cooling?

Sponsored

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
20200608_150937.jpg

I also picked up a screw last time out at Road Atlanta - nothing like ruining a pre-paid track day. Note that the Cup 2 tires really should not be repaired for track duty.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Me over here having driven on multiple sets with plugs

200.gif

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Honey badger does what honey badger does. Nobody has the balls to approach honey badger.
True dat. Tracked this one (only for the remainder of the day)
20190927_175952.jpg

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Talk to Terry fair or Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag Motorsports. Their based in Texas and may have some solid advice for you...
Sponsored