MAP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hello,

I just dropped my car off (2018 GT PP1) for an oil change. Was quoted $70, but just received a call back that the price increased magically to $125 because of the oil they put in, but didn't specify. I'm about to drive in and figure out what's going on, but could someone please weigh in on the oil Requirement for the 2018 GT?

Is full synthetic required? 5W-20, correct?

Any info straight from the manual would be greatly appreciated. I'd look myself, but they have my car...
Sponsored

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
2018+ requires 10qt of 5w-20. The manual calls out motorcraft synthetic blend with full synthetic as an option.

$125 is about what my local dealer charges for a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation for my 2020. Synthetic blend runs about $80 (I think). You’re not too far off depending on what oil they are using.

My guess, they quoted you for an earlier 5L that took less oil. Pre 2015s were 6qt and 15-17 were 8qt.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

Last edited:
Reactions: MAP
OP
OP
MAP

MAP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2018+ requires 10qt of 5w-20. The manual calls out motorcraft synthetic blend with full synthetic as an option.

$125 is about what my local dealer charges for a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation for my 2020. Synthetic blend runs about $80 (I think). You’re not too far off depending on what oil they are using.

My guess, they quoted you for an earlier 5L that took less oil. Pre 2015s were 6qt and 15-17 were 8qt.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False
They apparently quoted me for a blend, that they didn't have, then put full synthetic and said "that's just what it is".

Thanks for this info!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
A couple of thoughts.
They should have given you a courtesy call when they figured out they didn't have the product quoted. Assuming they didn't know and it wasn't just a bait-n-switch.
I personally would never return to them either way, fool me once etc.
Changing your own oil, if at all possible, will prevent this kind of thing as well as all the other common oil change place screw ups.

OP
OP
MAP

MAP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
A couple of thoughts.
They should have given you a courtesy call when they figured out they didn't have the product quoted. Assuming they didn't know and it wasn't just a bait-n-switch.
I personally would never return to them either way, fool me once etc.
Changing your own oil, if at all possible, will prevent this kind of thing as well as all the other common oil change place screw ups.
I only did it because I blew a tire in my hometown and had to get it replaced. While I was here, I figured I'd find a shop to do the oil and re-align the tires (I also took this as an opportunity to grab new wheels and tires for black Friday).

I won't be returning. I 100% agree I should have gotten a courtesy call. When I brought it up, they took $30 off the bill to help out a little, but apparently they don't carry anything but full synthetic currently. They told me they can't get stock of anything else right now, and they "forgot" to mention that when they gave me the first quote. Oh well. I got $30 off a better product supposedly.

I just wish they could have at least tried to sell me on why full synthetic was better instead of just saying "well we recommend it for your car"..
Coming from a Nissan dealership (only went there because family trusts someone there).

Like I said, won't be returning.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I only did it because I blew a tire in my hometown and had to get it replaced. While I was here, I figured I'd find a shop to do the oil and re-align the tires (I also took this as an opportunity to grab new wheels and tires for black Friday).

I won't be returning. I 100% agree I should have gotten a courtesy call. When I brought it up, they took $30 off the bill to help out a little, but apparently they don't carry anything but full synthetic currently. They told me they can't get stock of anything else right now, and they "forgot" to mention that when they gave me the first quote. Oh well. I got $30 off a better product supposedly.

I just wish they could have at least tried to sell me on why full synthetic was better instead of just saying "well we recommend it for your car"..
Coming from a Nissan dealership (only went there because family trusts someone there).

Like I said, won't be returning.
Most people aren't educated enough, on oils, to even attempt to sell full synth over blend beyond the basics you'd read on the back of a bottle. I prefer full synthetic myself, over blend, even though the two are pretty close if they both share the same certifications. The problem with motorcraft's full synthetic is that it's grossly overpriced. Your average full synth 5 qt jug runs about $20 - $24 at walmart. So about $50 for 10 qts with tax. Motorcraft full synth does not contain any form of base oil or additive pack to warrant that ridiculous price hike.
Sponsored