Sponsored

Oil Pressure Sensor Leak

1day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 OW/Blue Stripes
Mine has got a drip. I thought the canister had loosened, but that is not the case.

The only info I've been able to dig up is that it's not uncommon for the oil pressure sensor to leak on the cars with the canister oil filter.

Anyone know if it's a batch of defective sensors or does it just need to be tightened back down and just keep an eye on it?

Thanks,
Stan
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the high pressure these motors run. These things really pump up the oil pressure on a cold start.

OP
OP

1day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to take a closer look at it this weekend and see if there are signs of it just coming out around the threads and try to torque it back down. Or perhaps from the body at which point I will take it in for warranty work.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I lost two track sessions due to the damn pressure sensor. Didn't loose a whole bunch of oil, but had I not had a cooperative service department, I would have lost the whole track weekend (and $1500).

Worst case (if anybody hasn't noticed) is that it is a serious fire hazard. Imagine the car getting torched or if the damn sensor backed out completely leading to a total loss of oil. Thankfully mine did so at the end of my first run on day one. I still had oil measuring on the dipstick and all I lost was two sessions of my first track day.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I’m going to take a closer look at it this weekend and see if there are signs of it just coming out around the threads and try to torque it back down. Or perhaps from the body at which point I will take it in for warranty work.
I wouldn't touch it. take the heat shield tape off that thing and then you own the problem. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it. If it comes loose and you blow the motor, the finger will be pointed at you.

OP
OP

1day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s in the shop now. I’ll keep you guys posted on what they do.
Anyone else cringe when you have to leave your pride & joy at the dealer?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It’s in the shop now. I’ll keep you guys posted on what they do.
Anyone else cringe when you have to leave your pride & joy at the dealer?
I refuse to.

It seems every time I've taken a vehicle to a dealer for service it leaves with more issues than I arrived with.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I drove the R yesterday and during my drive home I smelled burning oil. Oil pressure was good and so was level. But!!!! There was oil which seems to be coming from the filter base and collecting over the steering rack. Will be dropping the pan this weekend to see whats up. No more driving till then : (

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I drove the R yesterday and during my drive home I smelled burning oil. Oil pressure was good and so was level. But!!!! There was oil which seems to be coming from the filter base and collecting over the steering rack. Will be dropping the pan this weekend to see whats up. No more driving till then : (
You don't have to drop the pan to inspect. I'll post a video later of what it looks like

Throw it up on jackstands or race ramps and secure the car. let all the oil drip off. have a buddy start the car and observe what the video looks like.

The good news, the pressure sensor will not spin off due to the wiring harness. The bad news, it has to be removed and torqued down again. If you touch it, you own it. Take it to your dealer.

Edited to add:

Here you go.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

1day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just picked up my car. They are ordering a new sensor. I didn’t get any additional details since the tech was on another job. Part should be in next week they said. I’ll get more info when I bring it back in.

Racsirx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had a sensor leak with only 800 miles on my car, I took it the dealer, they said it was common on a 2015-2016 but I was the first 2017 they saw to have this problem, I just couldn’t believe it

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

put it on jackstands and remove the left front wheel. You will be able to see the oil pressure sensor right above the oil filter canister. Follow the aluminum oil housing up and there is a wiring harness that is wrapped in heat shield tape. That is the sensor. Start the motor and watch it ooze oil. The video above saved the tech a bunch of time and I was out of the dealer in about an hour.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
.... said it was common on a 2015-2016 but I was the first 2017 they saw to have this problem.....
Is the sensor, or its mount, different on the 17s with the new style oil filter?...or is this yet another thing I have to check on? My 17 has the new filter.
Sponsored