Sponsored

Oil Pressure Dropped off and LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT CAME ON

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I purchased my new 2015 Mustang GT PP (Oxford White w/Recaro Redline AkA: Brenda-cause she got a big ol butt)) and love it. I do think i will never purchase a NEW ford again. I have had 3 previous mustangs that were all used with around 60,000 miles and the warranty was already up. Therefore everything that happened was repaired by me. But since the car is brand NEW and I pay a pretty penny for it, I was expecting more out of my dealer and ford. The issues that need repair are minor so nothing pressing (fender foam on driver side hitting the door when it opens, Light in the console popped loose inside the compartment, brakes squeaking, and the car has hesitated at start and died at idle 3 times)(already complained to ford about the issues listed and the dealers response), but yesterday on a night cruise the car gave me a LOW OIL PRESSURE light at a stop light. I checked the gauge and it was on the 10-15 range, i gave it gas, the gauge went to 20 and the light turned off. Question, should my oil pressure change so much (previous mustangs i had were pretty steady)? Should I be concerned? I ran the vehicle health report and nothing came up. But I dont know if it shows you a LOG of past indicators. Help if you can. Thanks
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Wow. That's a ramble. Finally found your question in that mess.

Yes it's normal for oil pressure to vary with engine rpm. No, 20 psi is not good enough. Check your oil level. If it's low, add. If not, being to dealer immediately.

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Did you check your oil level?? :confused:

If you have low oil pressure I wouldn't suggest revving the motor....you may want to shut it off and check the oil level right away.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How long have you had it? How many miles on it? Do you have an aftermarket tune? The tone of your post hints that the car is nearly new and unmodified. If so, you shouldn't do anything other than shut it off and have the problem looked at.

If the low oil pressure light comes on, you should shut off the car and have it towed to the dealer for work. No revving, no driving, nothing else. Low oil pressure is the worst thing that can happen to a running engine.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
How long have you had it? How many miles on it? Do you have an aftermarket tune? The tone of your post hints that the car is nearly new and unmodified. If so, you shouldn't do anything other than shut it off and have the problem looked at.

If the low oil pressure light comes on, you should shut off the car and have it towed to the dealer for work. No revving, no driving, nothing else. Low oil pressure is the worst thing that can happen to a running engine.

What Hack said!

Sponsored

OP
OP

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Car is untouched (scared to even do exhaust/warranty void). It now has 11180 miles. Just had oil changed at 10000. Pressure is steady 15 at idle and goes to 40-60 under throttle. Oil level is good. Light only came on once, but the way it climbs and falls has been since I got it. My dealer is weak, so I'll take it to another ford dealer near me.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
15PSI at idle? Damn, that is low. Mine is about 21-23PSI at idle. I have a GT PP with 4500 miles running 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum.

Under full throttle you only reach 60PSI?

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Mine sits at about 40 @ idle and shoots up between 60-70 under wot once warmed up. 10-15 sounds low

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
This happened on my jeep. It turned out to be some carbon build up the broke off and blocked the sensor partially. At your mileage I wouldn't expect you to have build up though.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
40 idle is high, 20-22 is normal at idle

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
I would take it to a different Ford dealer and have it checked thoroughly. A good dealer will do a drain and flush of your oil system as well as do an oil analysis to see if you're making metal or about to lose the oil pump in its entirety. The oil pump gear is the weak link in the Coyote engine and is commonly replaced by those who track their vehicles

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Mine did the same... haven't checked PSI.. but the Oil Level are pretty low... just got an Oil Change couple days ago and i hope it because of the low oil... and going to have it towed at my dealer tomorrow... hope its just the oil..

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
15 at idle isnt good but its ok, yes it is lower than it should be but it most likely wouldn't hurt anything.

A general rule of thumb is that you need at least 10psi for every 1000rpm to be safe. So at least 20psi at 2000, 40psi at 4000 etc. Most cars have decently more than that tho

So since the car usually has more than that, Id be concerned. You've checked your oil level already im assuming, right? If oil level is good and your getting low oil pressure then dont even bother driving it, have it towed to the dealer and let them handle that mess. If there really is an internal issue at play then theyll most likely replace the whole shortblock if not the whole motor, but you never know.. some tech could have accidentally hit the sensor or something when doing your oil change

And in past mustangs the oil pressure gauge isn't real, pretty much just shows a constant value if the oil pressure is good. The one on the 15 is functional (praise the lord)

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Mine runs between 13 and 15 @ idle... I was wondering what others were experiencing.

My oil pressure has NEVER been at or near the twenties at idle... ever.
Sponsored