Oil Pressure dropped after OP gears and Procharger install

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That looks low. Was there any scarring on the oil pump housing?

Did you measure the gears before install? New housing used?

So it was ok pressure initially? Then dropped over what a week? Month?

Wonder if a timing chain tensioner is loose.

I lost maybe 2psi at hit idle with the boundary gears and new pump housing. The rotor gaps where in spec but bit looser than the oe ones. Everything matched there spec card they sent.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye", N2144
Curious. I do understand why one would want to change the OP gears. The new gears, from any vendor, are they designed to maintain OE pressure? More interesting to me: volume? Are the new gears moving more oil, but at a reduced pressure?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed
Should be using 5w50 weight oil after going supercharged. Radiator gets a lot less airflow so motor runs hotter lowering oil pressure.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you're real concerned about the oil psi, id pop a real machinable oil psi gauge on the car and monitor it.

If you can confirm there's definitely an oil psi issue with a better mechanical oil psi gauge, and the issue has come up after your OPG install, I'd suspect there's an issue with either the OPG kit you used.

----
Adding this in for future reference too.

Here’s some threads that contain factual OPG info, take time to read them, because not all OPGs are the same and yes there have been reported failures with some aftermarket OPG.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mmr-opgs.156369/

If you’re going to attemp OPG/timing yourself, or get a shop to do it, here’s important notes so check the below threads before jumping in without knowledge:

Incorrect timing marks on crank sprockets:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/psa-boundary-crank-sprocket-marks-incorrect.146665/

Clearance and other important OPG issues discussed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/check-your-new-upgraded-oil-pump-gears.144427/

Ford Performance OPG notes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...erotor-oil-pump-gear-set.160950/#post-3278453

How common the OPG issue is:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-common-are-issues-with-billet-opgs.168402/

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That looks low. Was there any scarring on the oil pump housing?

Did you measure the gears before install? New housing used?

So it was ok pressure initially? Then dropped over what a week? Month?

Wonder if a timing chain tensioner is loose.

I lost maybe 2psi at hit idle with the boundary gears and new pump housing. The rotor gaps where in spec but bit looser than the oe ones. Everything matched there spec card they sent.
No scoring on the housing but I hate to admit that I didn't look or compare the two gear sets, I pulled out the stock gears and just placed in the new units. I've done this before on two other previous Mustangs and felt confident. Dumb me.

Initial pressure at idle was 20-25psi. It more than happened when I installed the gears and Procharger. I remember starting the car after the gears but before the procharger to make sure it had oil pressure and it rose to 70psi, moments later it dropped to 50 (or so) and I shut it off. Didn't question anything.

Timing chain tensioners aren't loose. I went with Boss units (1 gen) where they lock and made sure slack was removed before reassembling.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Should be using 5w50 weight oil after going supercharged. Radiator gets a lot less airflow so motor runs hotter lowering oil pressure.
There are too many opinions about weight. People making over what I do still run 5w20, I'm currently running 5w30 and may go higher from there on the next change. But you're right, it does get hotter and will start breaking down the engine oil quicker.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No scoring on the housing but I hate to admit that I didn't look or compare the two gear sets, I pulled out the stock gears and just placed in the new units. I've done this before on two other previous Mustangs and felt confident. Dumb me.

Initial pressure at idle was 20-25psi. It more than happened when I installed the gears and Procharger. I remember starting the car after the gears but before the procharger to make sure it had oil pressure and it rose to 70psi, moments later it dropped to 50 (or so) and I shut it off. Didn't question anything.

Timing chain tensioners aren't loose. I went with Boss units (1 gen) where they lock and made sure slack was removed before reassembling.
The tensioners seal to the block with an "acceptable" amount of oil lose. No oring. That's what I was kicking around.

I'd buy a new oil pump. Don't open it and just swap it. Of course check for anything when its coming apart and the pick up tube too. Make sure the oring isn't pinched on it etc..

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Ummmm, Boundary OPG's. Now I'm getting triggered.

I would've hoped they improved their quality since the two sets I installed on my old 3v had even less oil pressure than what you are describing.

They did warranty because they knew they had a problem, 2nd set was no better, I reinstalled a stock GT500 pump and threw that $200 in the trash.

Hopefully that's not your issue.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update.

Pulled the gears and here's what I found...

20220514_171440.jpg
20220514_171445.jpg
20220514_171453.jpg
20220514_171458.jpg
20220514_171503.jpg
20220514_123000.jpg
20220514_122944.jpg
Whoa….

Have you contacted the vendor or manufacturer about that and sent them pics???

You’re lucky you tore it down to check things out, otherwise I think if that was let go, it could have detonated the engine…. That’s why I posted the informational links above too for others for future reference.

There’s been too many aftermarket OPGs that are turning out to be garbage…

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Whoa….

Have you contacted the vendor or manufacturer about that and sent them pics???

You’re lucky you tore it down to check things out, otherwise I think if that was let go, it could have detonated the engine…. That’s why I posted the informational links above too for others for future reference.

There’s been too many aftermarket OPGs that are turning out to be garbage…
Haven't yet but I will.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Hmmm, now im wondering if I should try to monitor my oil pressure. I also installed some boundary opg in December. Car has not gone yet lmao, and I beat the piss out of the car, put about 8k miles on it since then too.

I wonder what could have made the scoring that bad.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1
What's wrong with the factory gear? Curious.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
my factory gears were starting to score a small amount on the rotor tips but had 20k and a few trips north of 7500rpm on them.

i think you ended up with a really early set of gears that boundary admitted had hardening issues. your serial number indicates 00046, is that matching on the paper work in the box?

for reference, the paper work i have shows serial number 19363 on my gears. so nearly 20,000 gear sets later. assuming they are counting up..

when did you buy and from where?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
What's wrong with the factory gear? Curious.
higher than stock rpms can or does cause vibrations beyond the stock balancers/damper limits. stock gears are less forgiving in this region and can fracture. Different metallurgy in the AM gears allows them to take more abuse and not fracture. Ford performance has an email floating around stating the AM gears dont solve the actual problem but do handle the problem better at sustained and repeated high vibration regions that the damper wasnt designed for.

15 - Steeda - 6