Sponsored

Oil Pan protection (aka: skid plate) available?

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured those that hang out here would be in the know.

Does anyone make/sell oil pan protection that will fit on a 2019 GT (PP if it matters)? I'm looking to protect the oil pan from Rocks/etc.

Our 2019 is about the same height as our lowered 2006 and we've taken chunks of the transmission mount on our 2006 multiple times thanks to rocks on the road (destroyed an X pipe too). On top of that living on a dirt road means you can hit things under the car that the bumper actually cleared. I already installed jacking rails to help protect the body but I haven't seen anything to protect the oil pan.

Worst case I can build something (I've made HD skid plates for my wheeling rig) but I can't weld aluminum and I'd have to take something I cut/weld in to have strengthening ridges put in any way so if I can buy something that isn't too expensive and fits well I'd like to do that.

thanks...

~Mark
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I watched a video of them taking the mustang oil plastic oil pan vs a metal oil pan, and vbeating the shit out of them. the plastic oil pan held up, really really well. Basically til they super heated it with a torch and stabbed something like screw drivers through it.

OP
OP

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
I watched a video of them taking the mustang oil plastic oil pan vs a metal oil pan, and vbeating the shit out of them. the plastic oil pan held up, really really well. Basically til they super heated it with a torch and stabbed something like screw drivers through it.
I know the pan is pretty strong BUT it's also not easy to replace. On the s197's the bottom part of the pan was easy to take off/replace (and higher) on the 4.0 (no idea about the GT). On our 2019 it appears I'd have to pull quite a bit out of the way if I needed to replace it.

Here's a pic showing the kind of damage we've gotten from smacking a rock (this has happened twice).

carnage.JPG

~Mark

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to imagine living in Arizona there's anything other than sand. Goodluck with your search!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I know the pan is pretty strong BUT it's also not easy to replace. On the s197's the bottom part of the pan was easy to take off/replace (and higher) on the 4.0 (no idea about the GT). On our 2019 it appears I'd have to pull quite a bit out of the way if I needed to replace it.

Here's a pic showing the kind of damage we've gotten from smacking a rock (this has happened twice).

carnage.JPG

~Mark

A rock or a boulder? A rock here in joisey is like 1” circumference... I’d hate to see an Arizona pebble - LOL - geez!

I don’t think any vendor makes or sells a S550 specific skid plate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A rock or a boulder? A rock here in joisey is like 1” circumference... I’d hate to see an Arizona pebble - LOL - geez!

I don’t think any vendor makes or sells a S550 specific skid plate.
A boulder would have smashed the bumper while a rock fits under the bumper. At least that's what I'm calling it. She was driving into the sun on her way to work and some of the wall next to the road (road was cut through a hill) had slipped some so some rocks were on the road. You don't normally see that on city roads or freeways but you can see that on some state highways or local/back roads.

~Mark

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll probably have to make your own or perhaps adapt one from Jeep or other off-road vehicle. An outside option would be to contact one of the teams that rally race the S550.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured those that hang out here would be in the know.

Does anyone make/sell oil pan protection that will fit on a 2019 GT (PP if it matters)? I'm looking to protect the oil pan from Rocks/etc.

Our 2019 is about the same height as our lowered 2006 and we've taken chunks of the transmission mount on our 2006 multiple times thanks to rocks on the road (destroyed an X pipe too). On top of that living on a dirt road means you can hit things under the car that the bumper actually cleared. I already installed jacking rails to help protect the body but I haven't seen anything to protect the oil pan.

Worst case I can build something (I've made HD skid plates for my wheeling rig) but I can't weld aluminum and I'd have to take something I cut/weld in to have strengthening ridges put in any way so if I can buy something that isn't too expensive and fits well I'd like to do that.

thanks...

~Mark
I made my own skid plate after hitting a pipe on the highway. I used sheet metal and covered the entire engine from the front to behind the oil pan. I drilled out hole where I could use the extra bolt holes in the k frame and bolted the rear to my G brace.
20191014_172556.jpg

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase

thanks...

~Mark
I also used the rubberized under coating to stop any rattle. But it's a tight fit
Sponsored