Oil, Oil Filter , and Oil Additive for 2018 Mustang GT

nicolasfinta1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicolas
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible premium 2018
Currently I’m running with a JLT air intake stainless works catless long tube headers borla attak exhaust and a E85 tune and I wanted to know your guys recommendation for oil and oil filter currently have been using mobile 1 full synthetic 5w20 and the mobile one oil filter I’ve heard 5w30 might be better and I currently work at a place that has 5w20 and 5w30 Pennzoil ultra synthetic but am willing to use any oil as long as it can get rid of that stupid tick and makes my run well I do track my car but also daily.
Sponsored

Crusch84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have about the same set up and I run a Motorcraft filter with Motorcraft 5W30 full synthetic topped off with Ceratec. It sounds great no BBQ tic

20201116_203045.jpg

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Go with the bigger FL820S filter.

5w30 Penzoil Ultra will work fine in SoCal and provide a little better protection for track days.

But don't expect the oil to magically make the tick go away.

Crusch84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Go with the bigger FL820S filter.

5w30 Penzoil Ultra will work fine in SoCal and provide a little better protection for track days.

But don't expect the oil to magically make the tick go away.
I didn't know the 820s would work on the coyote

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You should call Ford first, to make sure oil flow and bypass valve parameters are the same. I always use the recommended OEM oil filter, due to lack of specs on oil filters. You don't really need a bigger one unless you're pushing the envelope on oil change interval IMO, but to each his own. I change oil every 5K miles, so absolutely no need for anything other than the FL500S.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's a bit excessive, Ford says it fits what more do you need?

Did you call up Ford and made sure that the Gorilla lug nuts that you bought offer the same clamping force and tensile strength as the they require?

You should call Ford first, to make sure oil flow and bypass valve parameters are the same. I always use the recommended OEM oil filter, due to lack of specs on oil filters. You don't really need a bigger one unless you're pushing the envelope on oil change interval IMO, but to each his own. I change oil every 5K miles, so absolutely no need for anything other than the FL500S.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know the 820s would work on the coyote
I like 99.9% sure the oil bypass pressure is lower on the 4.6/5.4 820s filter.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's a bit excessive, Ford says it fits what more do you need? Did you call up Ford and made sure that the Gorilla lug nuts that you bought offer the same clamping force and tensile strength as the they require?
Are you for real? Do lug-nuts have bypass valves? It's important to have the correct pressure, and it's not listed anywhere. Smart people would make sure of that before swapping filters, but it's your car :).

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Are you for real? Do lug-nuts have bypass valves? It's important to have the correct pressure, and it's not listed anywhere. Smart people would make sure of that before swapping filters, but it's your car :).
No, but they do have clamping force and tensile strength. Smart people would make sure their lug nuts are up to the same specs as specified Ford.

I put on the wrong filter and I lose a $5000 engine at worst. You put on the wrong lug nuts and lose your wheels on the highway and smack the median at 80mph and you lose a $40000 car and possibly lives.

But hey, it's your car ;)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Anything is better than the crap lug nuts Ford puts on our cars, and those are 1-piece steel, with an ever bigger surface area, but seems like you have nothing better to do than picking fights. Since you have nothing to contribute, I'm ignoring you right after this post, so go pick a fight somewhere else. Have a nice life.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I didn't expect this thread to go in such unexpected direction - but I guess I feel OK about my FL500S.

I'll second PUP5/30 w/ Ceratec - but it is no magical solution for noises. Drive for a while and the piston slap noise on start up goes away.

OH YEAH - get a new oil drain plug!!
Sponsored