Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Mobil-1 0w40 European blend is best IMO. There’s a noticeable difference in how quiet the engine is and smooth. Also Ceratec is always a good idea
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think it'd be one or the other, but I wouldn't use both. I suspect Ceratec thickens the oil, so I'd only add it to 5 or 0/30 max. But I'd probably try M1 0/40 over Ceratec first. Hope I don't have to make that choice. Ha ha. My engine is doing good at 4,3xx miles with M1 0/30 :). Hope it stays that way.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Something of interest, I bought the car with 14k on it, recently had that oil changed (so I know what is in there) to 5w-20 Penn Plat. When at idle now, and warmed up, the PSI is more like 17 vs the 15 PSI before the change. Guess it is a slight difference in warm weight between Platinum and what I am assuming was 5w-20 Motorcraft blend. Not groundbreaking, just a nerd observation.

As far as noise, when my car is warmed up, and sitting somewhere like the pharmacy window (good place to hear noise with windows down since sound is bouncing off of things), it seems to be a pretty quiet motor.

It is definitely a little rowdy sounding when the engine is cold, and about 40 degrees temp out. I have a very short commute to work, so I only put about 80 miles/week on my car. I will probably hold off on any additives since my yearly oil changes will likely only have 5-6k miles on them lol.

Last edited:

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I had the BBQ tick starting at 500 miles after first oil change on my 18 GT. I started running Mobil 1 5/30 and a pint of Schaeffers Moly EP. Car has been dead quiet for 10,000 miles since with perfect oil samples. I know Ceretec works as well, but I wasn't too fond of the possibility of frothy oil.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have an 18 GT with 30k miles and also have the infamous tick. I have had 3 oil changes using Mobile 1 either 5w-30 or 10w-30. Tick was always very pronounced and Ceratec was used to basically get rid of it. You would hear it occasionally up to about halfway through the oil change cycle then it was non existent. Fresh oil change with the Mobile 1 always brought it out in force again.
Just performed my 4th oil change and this time I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 with no Ceratec initially. Wanted to compare how the engine sounded to the Mobile 1 oil changes. Tick is barely noticeable with this oil. You hear it occasionally but compared to Mobile 1 I would say it is 75% quieter compared to the Mobile 1. I still have a fresh bottle of Ceratec if needed though. Thought I would pass this along. Nothing against Mobile one as I use it in my other vehicles.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
I have an 18 GT with 30k miles and also have the infamous tick. I have had 3 oil changes using Mobile 1 either 5w-30 or 10w-30. Tick was always very pronounced and Ceratec was used to basically get rid of it. You would hear it occasionally up to about halfway through the oil change cycle then it was non existent. Fresh oil change with the Mobile 1 always brought it out in force again.
Just performed my 4th oil change and this time I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 with no Ceratec initially. Wanted to compare how the engine sounded to the Mobile 1 oil changes. Tick is barely noticeable with this oil. You hear it occasionally but compared to Mobile 1 I would say it is 75% quieter compared to the Mobile 1. I still have a fresh bottle of Ceratec if needed though. Thought I would pass this along. Nothing against Mobile one as I use it in my other vehicles.
I am exactly also in the same boat with Mobile 1 but with 5w20. I am going to stay for the next change with the same weight but will try Pennzoil Ultra to see if there is any change. If nothing changes will try 5w30. I am in Puerto Rico so hot all the time and at the moment i don't track yet.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm using M1 0/30, which I changed at 1,128 miles, to be exact. And so far, my engine is liking it, but only about 4,400 miles so far. We'll see what happens with subsequent oil changes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Something of interest, I bought the car with 14k on it, recently had that oil changed (so I know what is in there) to 5w-20 Penn Plat. When at idle now, and warmed up, the PSI is more like 17 vs the 15 PSI before the change. Guess it is a slight difference in warm weight between Platinum and what I am assuming was 5w-20 Motorcraft blend. Not groundbreaking, just a nerd observation.

As far as noise, when my car is warmed up, and sitting somewhere like the pharmacy window (good place to hear noise with windows down since sound is bouncing off of things), it seems to be a pretty quiet motor.

It is definitely a little rowdy sounding when the engine is cold, and about 40 degrees temp out. I have a very short commute to work, so I only put about 80 miles/week on my car. I will probably hold off on any additives since my yearly oil changes will likely only have 5-6k miles on them lol.
My car burned Pennzoil like it was water, lol. Not sure how much of that was break-in versus the oil itself, but on the Motorcraft blend (at 8,000 miles now) I use way less.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

Found this quote comparing Edge and Magnatec:

""Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. Castrol EDGE does not have the same technology as GTX MAGNATEC, the two have different additive systems. Castrol GTX MAGNATEC has intelligent molecules that cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start and throughout warm-up that won’t drain to the sump. Castrol EDGE has a more advanced technology with fluid titanium that provides superior engine wear protection. It provides a higher level of high temperature protection, anti-wear performance, and viscosity stability. Castrol EDGE is our premium product line. Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API service category and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly."

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/castrol-magnatec-vs-edge-titanium.294214/

FWIW, Castrol Magnatec is what Ford uses on the Mustang here in Europe, and it seems the infamous tick is not very common in Europe. Whether that's related to the oil, presumably much fewer Mustangs in Europe (and thus statistically less chance of anybody getting the tick, since not all Mustangs get it), or something else, I have no idea. I 've had three oil changes so far (at about every 3-4,000 miles, as indicated by the built-in OLM), and have not heard any tick so far.
Sponsored