OIL LIFE...

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
My oil change was about 100 miles ago. Right before its winter slumber.
What the hell is this garbage?
Screenshot_20240412_220420_FordPass.jpg
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Reset it and let it rip!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Oil life monitor is based on time and mileage. It’s just counting the time. Like the previous poster said, just reset it and good to go

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Yes, the Oil Life Monitor ticks down 1.92% a week and will reach 0% at the end of one year. It counts down regardless of mileage driven, to encourage at least one oil change a year. It's not the only factor in the OLM to determine oil life, but like a failsafe.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know why you guys are so cheap to extend oil change intervals. Ford's recommendations already have you running the oil longer than I think you should. I guess if you are only keeping the car a few years and you don't care if the engine lasts, then by all means extend the intervals.

If you can't afford oil changes, maybe try a cheaper brand of oil or something.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I don't know why you guys are so cheap to extend oil change intervals. Ford's recommendations already have you running the oil longer than I think you should. I guess if you are only keeping the car a few years and you don't care if the engine lasts, then by all means extend the intervals.

I agree with you, but it is interesting that the Blackstone analysis I've done on my F150 3.5L Eco suggests that the oil life monitor is right on target using full synthetic Motorcraft at least as the oil properties go. I've been changing at the 80% to 85% oil life remaining according to the indicator (around 8500 miles) and the oil properties have been "in spec" with a couple thousand miles remaining according to Blackstone.

Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP

There's "not being able to afford oil changes" and there's not wasting money on unnecessary premature oil changes.

Oil doesn't magically break down while it's sitting in the oil pan anymore than it magically breaks down sitting in the jug.

I change my oil when the car tells me to do it, IOT maintain my extended powertrain warranty. By mileage, I'm nowhere near my first oil change after 2 years of ownership (~3k km currently, or about 1800 miles) but you likely think I should be changing my oil every 6 months.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree with you, but it is interesting that the Blackstone analysis I've done on my F150 3.5L Eco suggests that the oil life monitor is right on target using full synthetic Motorcraft at least as the oil properties go. I've been changing at the 80% to 85% oil life remaining according to the indicator (around 8500 miles) and the oil properties have been "in spec" with a couple thousand miles remaining according to Blackstone.
I think you are saying even a full synthetic should be changed at minimum when Ford's oil life monitor system recommends, and a possible extension of that would be that an inexpensive oil should be changed even more frequently than Ford would recommend.

I agree with that. But I do also think that engine wear tends to be more caused by contamination of the oil with very small particles of abrasive debris more so than outright failure of the oil to maintain a protective film due to lack of viscosity. So I question whether a full synthetic will extend engine life, and I think that if a person extends oil change intervals the engine will wear out more quickly, regardless of what oil they are using.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
There’s no such thing as Full Synthetic, all motor oils are a blend.
Full Syn = marketing jargon.
Faux Synthetic is more appropriate. LOL

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If I went by mileage, it would take me a full year on full synthetic. I put about 7k miles per year on my car. I would be very comfortable waiting for the mileage to change my oil, however, I’m just of the mindset that 2-3 oil changes per year won’t hurt and is cheap insurance if you will. So that’s what I do.

I don’t think it’s wrong to follow the oil life monitor, that’s the minimum per Ford from a warranty perspective.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There’s no such thing as Full Synthetic, all motor oils are a blend.
Full Syn = marketing jargon.
Faux Synthetic is more appropriate. LOL
Fair point
Sponsored