Sponsored

Oil leaking from Filter/ Oil Cooler at 5k miles (2018 GT)

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello Everyone,

I own a 2018 Mustang GT with 5k miles that I purchased in April of 2019. So this past weekend, I, unfortunately, curbed my car and damaged my rocker panel molding on the driverside by not paying attention to the curb to my left. Upon arriving at home and inspecting my damage, I noticed that my engine cross member is completely covered in engine oil as well as the bottom engine cover. Dumbfounded of finding oil, I began to inspect the car very meticulously and try to find the cause of the leak.

Based on my initial inspection the oil is a leak is coming from the oil filter or potentially the oil cooler. I decided to check my oil level the next morning and the level is very low (Please see image below). I decided to carefully drive my car .5 miles to the neighboorhood dealership (Worthless Ford, Long Beach, CA) and have it inspected. The initial inspection time frame would be Thursday morning (4 days). Receive a phone call from the service 4 hours later, of their findings and the next steps:

- The vehicle had about 4 quarts of oil and the original oil filter (from the FORD factory) was loose. To repair the vehicle an oil change must be performed.

After returning the service writer's phone call, he provided me with two options: I can either pay for the oil change ($89.00) and have the issue fixed or I can decline the service and they will clean the oil filter and I can take the car home. If I wanted the car to be fixed under some type of warranty (free), I would have to take it to the purchasing dealership and hope that they will do it under customer appreciation. Called FORD customer service and they are beyond useless, all they could do was to create a service ticket and hope I receive a phone call from the case person.

My question to everyone is, has anybody had this issue with a leaking oil filter from the factory and how was the issue rectified? Did FORD or the servicing dealership stepped-up to the plate and fixed the situation? Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this and how was it rectified? (other than not purchasing a FORD product)
20191109_221853.jpg
20191111_071518.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
Hello Everyone,

I own a 2018 Mustang GT with 5k miles that I purchased in April of 2019. So this past weekend, I, unfortunately, curbed my car and damaged my rocker panel molding on the driverside by not paying attention to the curb to my left. Upon arriving at home and inspecting my damage, I noticed that my engine cross member is completely covered in engine oil as well as the bottom engine cover. Dumbfounded of finding oil, I began to inspect the car very meticulously and try to find the cause of the leak.

Based on my initial inspection the oil is a leak is coming from the oil filter or potentially the oil cooler. I decided to check my oil level the next morning and the level is very low (Please see image below). I decided to carefully drive my car .5 miles to the neighboorhood dealership (Worthless Ford, Long Beach, CA) and have it inspected. The initial inspection time frame would be Thursday morning (4 days). Receive a phone call from the service 4 hours later, of their findings and the next steps:

- The vehicle had about 4 quarts of oil and the original oil filter (from the FORD factory) was loose. To repair the vehicle an oil change must be performed.

After returning the service writer's phone call, he provided me with two options: I can either pay for the oil change ($89.00) and have the issue fixed or I can decline the service and they will clean the oil filter and I can take the car home. If I wanted the car to be fixed under some type of warranty (free), I would have to take it to the purchasing dealership and hope that they will do it under customer appreciation. Called FORD customer service and they are beyond useless, all they could do was to create a service ticket and hope I receive a phone call from the case person.

My question to everyone is, has anybody had this issue with a leaking oil filter from the factory and how was the issue rectified? Did FORD or the servicing dealership stepped-up to the plate and fixed the situation? Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this and how was it rectified? (other than not purchasing a FORD product)
20191109_221853.jpg
20191111_071518.jpg
Upon my first oil change my filter was so loose my 3 year old niece could of removed it with her left hand and she's righty. The o ring just touched enough to seal. I have read on the forum a lot
of peeps experience a loose filter.

OP
OP
Jlfierros

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am writing this to provide a follow-up. PLEASE, if you live in the Southern California area. Please, Please stay away from WORTHINGTON FORD.

I received a phone call that my vehicle is ready, after approving the oil change (Just want this headache to go away) Paid for my service and noticed that they used synthetic-blend. never provided me the option for Synthetic oil change. On top of that, they only installed 8 quarts of oil. When I confronted the only service rep. who was super lazy and careless. He stated that my car takes 8 quarts. After arguing with him for 3 minutes and bringing up a chart that "supposedly Ford is using" I left. His final remark was to enjoy the car it has a warranty. Nothing is going to happen if you have 8 quarts instead of 10.

At his point, I will speak to the Service Manager and do my own oil change moving forward or taking it to South Bay Ford.

Thanks for everyone's input and help

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I am writing this to provide a follow-up. PLEASE, if you live in the Southern California area. Please, Please stay away from WORTHINGTON FORD.

I received a phone call that my vehicle is ready, after approving the oil change (Just want this headache to go away) Paid for my service and noticed that they used synthetic-blend. never provided me the option for Synthetic oil change. On top of that, they only installed 8 quarts of oil. When I confronted the only service rep. who was super lazy and careless. He stated that my car takes 8 quarts. After arguing with him for 3 minutes and bringing up a chart that "supposedly Ford is using" I left. His final remark was to enjoy the car it has a warranty. Nothing is going to happen if you have 8 quarts instead of 10.

At his point, I will speak to the Service Manager and do my own oil change moving forward or taking it to South Bay Ford.

Thanks for everyone's input and help
Except some weasel like dealers will blame you and try to deny you warranty coverage if they find that the oil level was low. Missing 20% of your oil isn't going to kill your car, but if you decide to track it and put some strong G-forces on it, you could end up starving the engine....

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I received a phone call that my vehicle is ready, after approving the oil change (Just want this headache to go away) Paid for my service and noticed that they used synthetic-blend. never provided me the option for Synthetic oil change. On top of that, they only installed 8 quarts of oil. When I confronted the only service rep. who was super lazy and careless. He stated that my car takes 8 quarts. After arguing with him for 3 minutes and bringing up a chart that "supposedly Ford is using" I left.
The dealership is going to install synthetic blend unless you specifically ask for full synthetic. Deslers rip you off on the price of oil, so just do the next change yourself with full synthetic bought someplace for much cheaper.

I would have told him to make the level on the dipstick right, regardless of how much oil that requires.

So you showed him the owner's manual oil capacity spec and he didn't believe it? If the dealer doesn't know that a 2018+ Coyote specs 10 quarts by now they should get out of the service business.
Sponsored