Oil leak - drivers side near front wheel

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
So I picked up my 2018 GT350 yesterday evening and drove it home grinning from ear to ear. Didn't really get on it until I got to the highway after 20 minutes or so cruising around. When I came to the stoplight after a short highway run, I noticed some thin smoke coming from the drivers side wheel. This morning, I go into my garage and notice a small puddle of oil, about 4" in diameter, right in front of the drivers side front wheel.

The dealer changed the oil right before I picked the car up, and the engine was replaced about 1000 miles ago (confirmed by looking under drivers side coil cover).
Sponsored

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Oh - I cleaned it and put some cardboard underneath to check if it was continuously leaking. It's been parked for about 12 hours at this point

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
More than likely just spill coming off the undertray. Keep an eye on the cleaned up area.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Oh - I cleaned it and put some cardboard underneath to check if it was continuously leaking. It's been parked for about 12 hours at this point
As @key01 said, it's possible that it's just spill from the oil change - the GT350 oil filter is set up so that it dumps oil all over the undertray as it's removed. If the dealer tech didn't clean up, it'll take a couple of days for it to stop dripping.

That said, it's also possible there's a leak, so check the oil fairly often to see if it's going down - if so, take it back and get it fixed.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
When I had my engine replaced they also replaced two oil lines. They could be designed for single use.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
So it's been 3 days or so and it's still leaking - albeit a little less it seems. Parked car overnight in driveway and there was a 2" spot where oil had dripped. When I first noticed this on Friday it would drip a ton more. Should I leave it for another few days?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So it's been 3 days or so and it's still leaking - albeit a little less it seems. Parked car overnight in driveway and there was a 2" spot where oil had dripped. When I first noticed this on Friday it would drip a ton more. Should I leave it for another few days?
What does the dipstick indicate? Has the level dropped?

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
+1 on the possibility of it being residual from spilling on the belly pan. I've done it on accident more than once and have pulled the pan to clean it off. I don't like to knowingly leave things like that. It just creates a bigger mess later.

There is one other possibility though. The oil pressure sending unit is located right above the oil filter and they are known to vibrate loose. It's possible it's leaking past the threads whenever the engine is running and ultimately leaking on the floor. This should be looked at and can be easily accessed by removing the air box. If it's leaking then get some locking thread sealant from a parts store or online, remove the sender and clean the threads and reinstall with the sealant and reinstall. I believe the specified torque is 24 ft-lbs - but verify that before torquing. Don't use plain Loctite threadlocker - there are specific locking thread sealants from Permatex and Loctite that are widely available.

quadfin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had the same issue / experience after a dealer oil change. The dealership tech didn't screw on the filter properly (the mechanism isn't as straightforward as other Ford vehicles). Despite assuring me beforehand they're experienced w/ the GT350, they def put some noob on it. I swapped dealerships to address the issue; all paid for by 1st dealer given their hack job.

Runs all good now. Worth taking it back in immediately and have them troubleshoot it.

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
If you are able to, jack up the car and put it on jack stands. You should be able to easily identify where it is coming from once you are underneath the car. You might want to remove the oil filter cover and inspect the oil filter to make sure it is tight (18 ft. pounds). Let us know what you find.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
What does the dipstick indicate? Has the level dropped?
Assuming the dealer didn't overfill, the oil level doesn't seem to have dropped. The dipstick shows right at the top of the textured area, just below the upper circle. I did notice some shiny oil on the top of the undertray on the drivers side.

I'm getting some tint tomorrow at a friends shop and we'll put it up on his lift and have a better look.

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
If you are able to, jack up the car and put it on jack stands. You should be able to easily identify where it is coming from once you are underneath the car. You might want to remove the oil filter cover and inspect the oil filter to make sure it is tight (18 ft. pounds). Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the torque spec, was looking for this. :)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Three possibilities...
1. oil filter loose (not likely, since you still show full on dipstick)
2. oil pressure sensor has come loose (a common problem)
3. sloppy oil change and the tech spilled oil all over the place. Another reason to change your own oil.

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Assuming the dealer didn't overfill, the oil level doesn't seem to have dropped. The dipstick shows right at the top of the textured area, just below the upper circle. I did notice some shiny oil on the top of the undertray on the drivers side.

Mine was also leaking dealer replaced the dip stick
problem solved

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The oil pan has a plastic plug. (I guess engineers know something i don't?) Mine leaked after i had my oil changed.

Really Ford? This $10 part is protecting our $35k engine?

Sponsored