Oil Filter/Track Day Mishap

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I have mentioned this before on this forum, but it’s worth mentioning again. After I install my spin on filter and torque it to spec, I mark the top of the filter at the 6 o’clock position with a sharpie. I will then on a regular basis check to make sure that the mark hasn’t moved. It is visible at approximately the 7 o’clock position through the left front wheel. Using a flashlight, shining it between the barrel and the rotor, you will see your mark on the filter. It’s quick and easy.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I have mentioned this before on this forum, but it’s worth mentioning again. After I install my spin on filter and torque it to spec, I mark the top of the filter at the 6 o’clock position with a sharpie. I will then on a regular basis check to make sure that the mark hasn’t moved. It is visible at approximately the 7 o’clock position through the left front wheel. Using a flashlight, shining it between the barrel and the rotor, you will see your mark on the filter. It’s quick and easy.
I’m right there with ya, but instead of a sharpie I use security paint on everything that’s torqued. . . it’s functional and it looks cool :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074776XBT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074776XBT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
054AB5A5-89FB-4445-A11E-B7953414FC5E.jpeg

OP
OP
sublime1996525

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
As part of the post incident checklist did you do a UPC, and is the dealership paying for that damage? In case you’re wondering a UPC is an under pants check.... because after a situation like that there’s a good chance someone needs a new pair of skivvies :)

Glad you’re ok. I bet that was some scary shit! I took my Z06 off track at 135mph after boiling brake fluid.... my heart rate might have reached a new personal best that day.
Haha. I like it.

Anyone who says that an engine is "fine" after it dumps all its oil (regardless of reason) while at high RPM doesn't need to be working on cars. In that event, it's guaranteed that some part of the engine was starved for oil at least a little bit of time.

Sorry to hear about your engine. Fingers crossed you're taken care of (might want to change dealers, tho).
Agreed. This dealership will not be doing anymore work on my car. I agree it’s going to need a new motor and I wasn’t surprised when they said all is good because I thought the same thing as you. I was close to 8k RPM’s.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Agreed. Last time the dealer changed my oil (not by request) I specifically asked if the tech torqued the filter and was told yes.

I checked it when I got home and it took 2 full turns to 18 pounds
I can't see any torque spec for the oil filter in my manual (searched in the online version too). Zombo quotes the spec for what I assume is his GT350 in "https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-filter-do-they-loosen.86762/#post-1932856". Is it the same for the 5.0 GT? Anyone know where I can find the specification from Ford for the 5.0 GT?

Only used my hands to tighten it when I changed it a few weeks ago, but now I'm worried and thinking I should buy what's necessary to torque it to spec.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I can't see any torque spec for the oil filter in my manual (searched in the online version too). Zombo quotes the spec for what I assume is his GT350 in "https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-filter-do-they-loosen.86762/#post-1932856". Is it the same for the 5.0 GT? Anyone know where I can find the specification from Ford for the 5.0 GT?

Only used my hands to tighten it when I changed it a few weeks ago, but now I'm worried and thinking I should buy what's necessary to torque it to spec.
Check your manual under diy maintenance.

The 5.0 might be hand tight. It doesn’t generate the level of vibration the 5.2 does. It’s a FPC vs CPC thing.

(BTW, this is the GT350 section of the forum. You might find more info in other sections.)

Sponsored

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350

From page 38 of GT350 owners manual:
Install the oil filter housing. Torque to
16–19 lb.ft (22–26 Nm) using a torque
wrench.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Last time the dealer changed my oil (not by request) I specifically asked if the tech torqued the filter and was told yes.

I checked it when I got home and it took 2 full turns to 18 pounds

Interesting, I've never seen that number before, need to try it out.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Interesting, I've never seen that number before, need to try it out.
This is a first gen GT350 spin on spec. It is printed on the filter...

Why aren’t you using the spec for your car?
79CC6777-4236-485D-B2BB-976145EF20B7.jpeg

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase

The GT is different from the GT350.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Check your manual under diy maintenance.

The 5.0 might be hand tight. It doesn’t generate the level of vibration the 5.2 does. It’s a FPC vs CPC thing.

(BTW, this is the GT350 section of the forum. You might find more info in other sections.)
From page 38 of GT350 owners manual:
Install the oil filter housing. Torque to
16–19 lb.ft (22–26 Nm) using a torque
wrench.
The GT is different from the GT350.
Thanks all. First time I've taken a small breath of relief I don't have a GT350 instead I think, as at least I won't have to hoist the GT 5.0 up on jack stands to re-tighten the oil filter now. Not that I would mind hoisting the '350 up on jack stands, every weekend for that matter, to check the oil filter if I could have a GT350 instead.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Do not torque your filter on your PP2 GT to the GT350 spec. It is not the same.
Good thanks for the clarification .

Always learning
Pep
Sponsored