Sponsored

Oil filter shortage

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
everyone rants and raves about collapsed filters, but I think others will back me up hereā€¦the only confirmed cases (2 I think) are from FatHouse on some high HP engines, on a dyno, at sustained high rpmā€™s. Someone prove me wrong. Even if Ford found a couple that drove the upgrade, youā€™re still talking low numbers.

The odds of a 2062 collapsing under any mortal use, or a problem from an aftermarket filter (that would cause warranty issues) is beyond soooo remote, the odds probably canā€™t even be computed.
The only pix I have ever seen was an improperly installed filter that was crushed and twisted. No collapsed ones to my knowledge.
I have used K&N filters on all my cars since they became available. Better quality and better flows all around.
I use this version In my GT500 at COTA all the time. Ambient temps normally near 100* and full throttle on this high speed track. No issues.
There are people who want to stick with OEM as it meets the minimum specs. But I always chose better quality. Just my thing.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Is it the oil coming out of the port at high pressure that is crushing the plastic lined filters? or are they being sucked closed, from lack of flow .?
If it is the oil pressure blasting the side of the filter , this is an easy fix, to be able to use the plastic lined filter without fear of failure.
Look at a Nascar modified air filter, and you'll see what I'm getting at.
If it is being sucked closed from pump sucking it closed from lack of flow through it, It can't be that hard to drill holes/slots,etc in a thin metal sleave and put inside the filter keeping the filter from collapsing.
Cuz, Frankly if you are having an issue getting a filter when the car is a new vehicle it isn't going to get better as they age out.
The above keeps you from having to install a remote oil filter kit, if you don't want to go that route.
There has to be someone on the forum with a mill/lathe that can whittle out the needed item.
Me, a remote filter set up would already be installed.
Perhaps Dorman will eventually offer something like this: Dorman Oil Filter Cover 917-016CD (autozone.com)

That's what I have for my 4Runner that's cartridge style. If having a center metal cage/frame is desired, this would have been a much more economical solution (having it affixed to the housing and reused everytime instead of buying very complex and expensive throw away).

As pointed out above, someone started a rumor that the filter collapsed, but it's like the Santa Claus. Everyone talks about it, but no one's ever seen it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No such problem has ever been found. One of those rumors that wonā€™t die.
We should start a thread of internet rumors and myths (based around the GT350 and the mustang).

FPC is weak
Voodoo can't handle boost
Gen2 Voodoo has zero chance of oil consumption
The 2062 filter will collapse
Voodoo has no torque
If your MT82 takes a shit, it's because you're a bad driver
Etc.

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I ordered the filter and its giving me a ship date, so I assume its in stock unless they pull a fast one after the fact.
I purchased 3 of them, finger crossed they donā€™t cancel it and send them to me šŸ¤žšŸ»

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I purchased 3 of them, finger crossed they donā€™t cancel it and send them to me šŸ¤žšŸ»
I ordered 4 of them last month from Lakeland Ford (in the middle of the month). They waited until 28 December to place their order with Motorcraft/Ford. After checking several times, they finally just refunded my money because they said they are backordered and Motorcraft/Ford couldn't give them a ship date.

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I just received a confirmation that they are expecting to ship the filter in about 5 business days.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Perhaps Dorman will eventually offer something like this: Dorman Oil Filter Cover 917-016CD (autozone.com)

That's what I have for my 4Runner that's cartridge style. If having a center metal cage/frame is desired, this would have been a much more economical solution (having it affixed to the housing and reused everytime instead of buying very complex and expensive throw away).

As pointed out above, someone started a rumor that the filter collapsed, but it's like the Santa Claus. Everyone talks about it, but no one's ever seen it.
Actually, the oil filter housing and mounting have a partial metal cage/sleeve already. When I get home, I can measure my spare housing and show the numbers.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
1641572479589.png

What will likely happen is that they will contact their supplier to order the filters and the supplier will tell them there are none available. I hope that is not the case but I've been through this before a few times, including with https://parts.ford.com/en.html

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
1641572479589.png

What will likely happen is that they will contact their supplier to order the filters and the supplier will tell them there are none available. I hope that is not the case but I've been through this before a few times, including with https://parts.ford.com/en.html
Yes Tom, I asked them, and they say something similar:

Hello,
we show we can get this, Just will have to be ordered!
Thank you

OEM Part Source Customer Service

It seems like I will have to be pending on this. Ford/Motorcraft is pushing me out of the Motorcraft team and I think the next destination is the Amsoil team. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Sponsored

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I'm just imagining all those GT350 owners that make the service at the dealer. What oil and filter those dealers will put on their engines? šŸ¤Ø

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Whoosh Parrot needed.. well done for stating the bleeding obvious..!!
you might need to look that upā€¦..

maybe these would be more useful..?

B05658B9-342C-4FA2-BE2C-69C3C297199E.jpeg
Oh, great. We have another smart ass newb from the GT section.

Right back at ya pal, here is a little something you might want to use in your avatar.

douche.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I ordered the filter and its giving me a ship date, so I assume its in stock unless they pull a fast one after the fact.
I ordered 3, thanks!

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I don't think anyone is ranting or raving. There will always be concerns regarding a part that was never really designed for this engine and was only used as a sort of stop gap measure when Ford switched from the screw on filters. Especially when Ford saw fit to replace it with another completely different part later on. Metal reinforcement aside, the filter medium itself is obviously different. What it means from an efficacy standpoint I do not know, but the most obvious change for me when I switched from the original 2062 that came with the car to the 2087 at the first oil change was the increased oil pressure. What that means, again I do not know, but I will trust Ford on this one since they went through the trouble of designing and producing a unique oil filter for the 5.2 in both the Voodoo and Predator applications.
If everything else is the same, an increase in oil pressure is reasonably inferred as a reduction in fluid friction/restriction, ostensibly by the filtration (if that's the only thing that's been altered between the two observances).

IF one ASSUMES that the increase in flow isn't due to a different routing through, around, etc the filtration media, (basically if they're designed to flow the same way) and the only change is the media itself, the logical conclusion would be that the white synthetic material does indeed flow more than the yellow cellulose material. (which also follows most claims and literature on the subject).

My question is, does one need to purchase an expensive, obscure and widely unavailable motorcraft filter to get the benefits of the improved material? I think most people would answer no.

So if "collapsing" isn't really a widespread issue/concern, then wouldn't running a better filter (material) give practically the same improvements as the unicorn 2087? Extended life, better capture, more capacity and better flow.

The only thing that cellulose is better at is capture of moisture and coolant. (and is obviously cheaper).