Oil filter shortage

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I cancelled my order with them. It wound up being a bunch of BS. They stopped replying to my emails until I was to the point and said cancel my order. Shortly thereafter, I received a cancellation confirmation.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I cancelled my order with them. It wound up being a bunch of BS. They stopped replying to my emails until I was to the point and said cancel my order. Shortly thereafter, I received a cancellation confirmation.
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I paid with PayPal so I don't get charged until (if?) they ship so it doesn't matter from that perspective for me. But yeah it was always a fool's hope, sadly.

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
everyone rants and raves about collapsed filters, but I think others will back me up here…the only confirmed cases (2 I think) are from FatHouse on some high HP engines, on a dyno, at sustained high rpm’s. Someone prove me wrong. Even if Ford found a couple that drove the upgrade, you’re still talking low numbers.

The odds of a 2062 collapsing under any mortal use, or a problem from an aftermarket filter (that would cause warranty issues) is beyond soooo remote, the odds probably can’t even be computed.
As stated above, we have seen 2 instances of FL2062 collapsing in on themselves. One of the collapses happened while the car was on the dyno being tuned. It was a 1000R twin turbo car. The other one was on a 800R twin turbo car that was out in Colorado while the customer was driving it on the street. Luckily both cars had MoTeC ECUs. When oil pressure drops the MoTeC goes in to a fail safe strategy and shuts off the engine. These both occurred around the end of 2020 and start of 2021. Since then we only run the FL2087 filters and have updated our owners manuals stating as such. I would say its not likely to happen in a stock or near stock HP car. This is a picture of the filter out of the 800R from Colorado.

Oil Filter.jpeg

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Ok, so here’s the skinny:
The filter is 5 1/4” long:
10939774-C26B-4EC5-9BB6-6500C718BA15.jpeg

The metal sleeve in the housing is about 1 3/4” long:
C6DF1DC6-17A1-4801-9688-0CBE6ADB4947.jpeg

Presume the engine side mounting is about the same, that leaves just 1 3/4” that is supported by the structure of the filter only.
If you look at the picture I posted above this reply you can see that is does collapse in the unsupported area. Maybe if they had the cage in the plastic filter housing come up a little further it would have prevented it from happening

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
As stated above, we have seen 2 instances of FL2062 collapsing in on themselves. One of the collapses happened while the car was on the dyno being tuned. It was a 1000R twin turbo car. The other one was on a 800R twin turbo car that was out in Colorado while the customer was driving it on the street. Luckily both cars had MoTeC ECUs. When oil pressure drops the MoTeC goes in to a fail safe strategy and shuts off the engine. These both occurred around the end of 2020 and start of 2021. Since then we only run the FL2087 filters and have updated our owners manuals stating as such. I would say its not likely to happen in a stock or near stock HP car. This is a picture of the filter out of the 800R from Colorado.

Oil Filter.jpeg
Where do you guys source your FL-2087s? :giggle:

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R

Oil Filter.jpeg
Thanks for sharing this info. If FL2087 keeps in backorder, I will go to Amsoil. I won't mess my engine just because Ford has not given a solution for this. It's a shame.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
We have our local ford dealer call around other dealers....but even that has had diminishing returns as of late. We are down to 5 in stock which is emergency levels!!!
Damn. Is there any way you can get info as to what is going on? Have they been discontinued or is it just a shortage? They have been increasingly hard to find since October 2021.

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Damn. Is there any way you can get info as to what is going on? Have they been discontinued or is it just a shortage? They have been increasingly hard to find since October 2021.
Can we call Ford Customer Service? Or do they know nothing?

Sponsored

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
I have no info. Probably on a container somewhere....or thrown out on the rail road tracks of LA. Who knows.....I hope all the supply shortages shines a light on the importance of not being wholly dependent on overseas manufacturing though.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So anticipating that this could continue or get worse,

Has anyone explored the options of a remote filter setup and which type of canister style filter would provide acceptable flow, acceptable filtration and stand up to the high pressure and flow requirements without issue?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So anticipating that this could continue or get worse,

Has anyone explored the options of a remote filter setup and which type of canister style filter would provide acceptable flow, acceptable filtration and stand up to the high pressure and flow requirements without issue?
While I do not know the fine details and how they compare to the GT350 filter in question, the good old Motorcraft FL-1A comes to mind. I've subjected dozens of them to severe service in the past on the strip (running 20W-50 oil) with no issue. They're big and hold about a quart of oil.

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
We do remote setups on the big power built engine cars, but it costs a fare amount to do though. Again not worth the effort IMO for a NA setup. Probably the only affordable alternative would be to put the 2015/2016 traditional external metal style oil filter housing and filter on it. Then you have to worry about the filter vibrating loose. Which you can remedy with a hose clap and safety wire.
20220124_122336.jpg
20220124_122414.jpg
20220124_122438.jpg
Sponsored