Oil Filter for Right Hand Drive S550 GT - 2017 Mustang

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback, 1965 Fastback
*************************************************************************************************************
EDIT 1/6/2019
After reviewing posts to this thread on this and another forum it has been stated that Ford fits a smaller filter (to save money) to all LHD and RHD S550 Mustangs, and then this filter is replaced by a larger Motorcraft service filter - FL-500S at the first service.

As other replies on both forums indicate that the larger filter is definitely in place on some already serviced vehicles, and others have been able to fit this larger filter without any issues, then I suggest going with the larger FL-500S filter.

The other equivalents, as quoted by SuperCheapAuto and Repco are:
- Ryco Z928
- K&N PS-2011 or HP-2011

But note that the Ford Motorcraft FL-500S appears to be the cheapest alternative when sourced from the dealership parts dept. at less than AUD$10 each.

*************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone,

Just thought I shared the trials I encountered this weekend while trying to do my own oil change on the 2017 Mustang GT.

The oil filter for a Right Hand Drive (RHD) Mustang GT is NOT the Ryco Z928 that SuperCheapAuto, Repco etc. will tell you by using their lookup systems. This is the LHD US version and is longer than the RHD version.

The oil filter for RHD is shorter and is actually a Ryco Z663 or Mobile 1 M1-113 (this is the actually the same filter as used by HSV Commodores - 6.0 and 6.2 from about 2006 onwards).

I hope that helps somebody.

Cheers
Shane
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Someone on a UK site did the groundwork based on dimensions and matched to Mobil 1 M1-113 - on this page https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/sho...4-8674-20th-Anniversary-Build/page2&styleid=2.

This matched to Ryco Z663. I then went to Repco and compared and it was exact size.

Price for the Z663 from Repco was about $17 after 30% discount for RACV (only that weekend). Someone on another Mustang forum went to the dealership and said they got the Fomoco one for about $16. Surprisingly cheap, but only available Mon-Fri from the dealer, which didn't suit me.

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm about to do my first oil change on my 17 GT.
I went to Supercheap and picked up the Z663. I'll have a crack on the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to do my first oil change on my 17 GT.
I went to Supercheap and picked up the Z663. I'll have a crack on the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.
It's not easy to change the filter. You need to access it from the passenger side wheel-well over the frame-rail. The normal oil filter inspection flap is useless on RHD cars.

Get a large zip-lock bag and place it over the filter before unscrewing it to stop oil going everywhere.

Sponsored

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thank you sir. The zip lock bag is a good idea.

Good timing that I saw this post.

Have you ever done the 2 year brake/clutch fluid renewal? I was just thinking I would pressure bleed brakes and that would be good enough. I've got another thread on this site and asked the question. Someone responded with that as a suggestion as per the service/repair manual.

OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Thank you sir. The zip lock bag is a good idea.

Good timing that I saw this post.

Have you ever done the 2 year brake/clutch fluid renewal? I was just thinking I would pressure bleed brakes and that would be good enough. I've got another thread on this site and asked the question. Someone responded with that as a suggestion as per the service/repair manual.
No. Only had the car 9 months.

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey mate. Just to follow up on this. I just did the oil change and I had no problems fitting the Z928 as suggested by supercheap. I bought the Z663 as well just in case.

It was definately tight and it was easier taking off the wheel as suggested by you. The Ford Motorcraft filter I took out (FL-500S) has the same dimensions as the Z928.

Photo attached.
20190525_100421.jpg

OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Hey mate. Just to follow up on this. I just did the oil change and I had no problems fitting the Z928 as suggested by supercheap. I bought the Z663 as well just in case.

It was definately tight and it was easier taking off the wheel as suggested by you. The Ford Motorcraft filter I took out (FL-500S) has the same dimensions as the Z928.
Interesting. Whoever did you last change used a filter from LHD spec (presumably a Ford dealership given the Motorcraft part).

Here is the comparison of the FoMoCo filter on my 2017 from new, versus the Z928. The FoMoCo filter is exactly the same size as a Z663.

Nice to know the Z928 fits without too much issue though as larger volume would be preferable.

IMG_1805_oil_filter_comparison_Mustang2017.JPG

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Interesting. Whoever did you last change used a filter from LHD spec (presumably a Ford dealership given the Motorcraft part).

Here is the comparison of the FoMoCo filter on my 2017 from new, versus the Z928. The FoMoCo filter is exactly the same size as a Z663.

Nice to know the Z928 fits without too much issue though as larger volume would be preferable.

IMG_1805_oil_filter_comparison_Mustang2017.JPG
The one on the right is a factory fitted filter and would be replaced by your dealer with the FL-500S at the first service. It would be nearly impossible to purchase the original factory fitted filter here in Australia. I also get my Motorcraft FL-500S filters from a Ford dealer for $9.70 each, not sure why you would stuff around with oddball Ryco (Supercheap) ones at 17 bucks each. You cannot guarantee that they have the correct anti drain back and pressure relief valve to suit the Coyote 5.0L motor!

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The one on the right is a factory fitted filter and would be replaced by your dealer with the FL-500S at the first service. It would be nearly impossible to purchase the original factory fitted filter here in Australia. I also get my Motorcraft FL-500S filters from a Ford dealer for $9.70 each, not sure why you would stuff around with oddball Ryco (Supercheap) ones at 17 bucks each. You cannot guarantee that they have the correct anti drain back and pressure relief valve to suit the Coyote 5.0L motor!
I think the Z928 is the correct replacement oil filter if you choose to use the Ryco version. It matches the size/dimension of the FL-500S.

When the original poster decided to do his first oil change he discovered a smaller filter. So made the assumption that there must be a difference between RHD and LHD; hence went on a journey of discovery.

However I think you are right about using a Ford oil filter. Although I've never had issues using Ryco oil filters for the last 20 years I might purchase a Ford one next.

If I had never seen this post I'd be none the wiser. Plus I now have a spare oil filter for Holden.. Lol...

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I have been using the Ryco Z663st filter, with the penrite 5w-30 fully synthetic oil
no issues thus far
Clipboard01.jpg

OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't find anything that said Ford replaces the factory fitted filter for RHD with a FL-500S on first service. But obviously this is happening.

But you've got to ask yourself the question of why Ford's engineers would go to all the trouble of speccing and using a different filter on RHD versions if the FL-500S used on LHD fits and works.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I couldn't find anything that said Ford replaces the factory fitted filter for RHD with a FL-500S on first service. But obviously this is happening.

But you've got to ask yourself the question of why Ford's engineers would go to all the trouble of speccing and using a different filter on RHD versions if the FL-500S used on LHD fits and works.
You misunderstood my post.
All Mustangs whether RHD or LHD are fitted with the FoMoCo filter as pictured above at the factory. Once the dealer does the first service then they are fitted with the FL-500S.
They don’t spec a different filter on RHD versions, all of them come with the oddball filter from the factory, it’s a cost saving exercise to use the smaller filter.
Sponsored