Sponsored

Oil Dipstick Tube

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
On the 2015+ Mustangs, I can’t remember how I pulled the oil dipstick tube free of the valve cover but I remember thinking “duh” when I figured it out last time. But now that I need to do it again I don’t remember what the trick is - anyone want to chime in with how to seperate the dipstick yellow part or tube from the valve cover for me?

I’d appreciate it!

**SELF EDIT **
I'm posting the correct answer here - I figured it out and also later found the shop manual reference for it also. I'll post them below - whatever you do, DO NOT do what someone suggested below and pull hard on the dipstick tube - it WILL break and drop into the bottom end and the rest of your day will be an expensive and aggravating investment into fixing the damage it will do.

Also found this - for a less words / more pictures representation of it.

Oil_Dipstick.jpg

Ok - so I love the idea of sliding off my heels and grabbing hold, but I didn't want to break it so I decided to do this instead...

IMG_2706.jpg

It's in the worst possible place when you have a fuel pressure regulator, etc etc etc in the way. All you have to do, BEFORE YOU PULL THE VALVE COVER OFF, is use a small flat head screwdriver in the top left corner of the yellow dipstick tube where it meets the black plastic area of the valve cover and twist the blade slightly against the detente you can see in the picture I took. Then gently rotate the yellow tube portion counterclockwise. It's damn near impossible to see this detente if the valve cover isn't lifted up first, but this is what it looks like removed so you can see it clearly.

That's all there is to it but it's hard to find that little nugget of wisdom online. Then GENTLY slide the oil dipstick yellow part up and out and it will bring the brittle black plastic tube up with it. When it's re installation time, just repeat this in reverse order, turning the yellow tube clockwise until it seats (no screwdriver needed obviously.)

ABSOLUTELY NO FORCE / TAPPING / HARD PULLING, ETC. THAT WILL ALMOST INEVITABLY LEAD TO YOU GOING TO FORD TO BUY A NEW ONE AND YOUR DAY OFF NOW HAVING TO REMOVE THE K MEMBER TO DROP THE OIL PAN.

I hope this helps someone - I'm busy doing a buddy's OPG and CS and stopped to post this.

Cheers!
:headbang::headbang::cheers::cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
If you are wearing heels, just pull. If that doesn’t work, drop your purse and pull harder.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What's your problem? Trying to snake it out from under the strut tower brace?

It's like they put the dipstick in the worst possible place on purpose.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think he is trying to remove the tube that the dipstick goes in. If so I half remember something about rotating it and maybe squeezing something down low.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Ok - so I love the idea of sliding off my heels and grabbing hold, but I didn't want to break it so I decided to do this instead...

IMG_2706.jpg

It's in the worst possible place when you have a fuel pressure regulator, etc etc etc in the way. All you have to do, BEFORE YOU PULL THE VALVE COVER OFF, is use a small flat head screwdriver in the top left corner of the yellow dipstick tube where it meets the black plastic area of the valve cover and twist the blade slightly against the detente you can see in the picture I took. Then gently rotate the yellow tube portion counterclockwise. It's damn near impossible to see this detente if the valve cover isn't lifted up first, but this is what it looks like removed so you can see it clearly.

That's all there is to it but it's hard to find that little nugget of wisdom online. Then GENTLY slide the oil dipstick yellow part up and out and it will bring the brittle black plastic tube up with it. When it's re installation time, just repeat this in reverse order, turning the yellow tube clockwise until it seats (no screwdriver needed obviously.)

ABSOLUTELY NO FORCE / TAPPING / HARD PULLING, ETC. THAT WILL ALMOST INEVITABLY LEAD TO YOU GOING TO FORD TO BUY A NEW ONE AND YOUR DAY OFF NOW HAVING TO REMOVE THE K MEMBER TO DROP THE OIL PAN.

I hope this helps someone - I'm busy doing a buddy's OPG and CS and stopped to post this.

Cheers!
:headbang::headbang::cheers::cheers:

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Also found this - for a less words / more pictures representation of it.

Oil_Dipstick.jpg

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Nice post just what I was looking for after I broke mine and bought a new one lmao

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Mine doesn’t look like that

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name