Oil consumption then not

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Curious how many of us have experienced some oil burn during break in then it disappeared afterwards?
My experience is I didn’t need to add anything before my first (and only so far) oil change at around 1300miles. Took it easy and never hit redline until first oil change.
From 1300 on to about 3500 I added one quart while stepping up my rev levels to redline on a few occasions. From 3500 to my present 4900 I’ve had just about zero burn and a tablespoon or two in the passenger side catch can.
This engine just isn’t going through oil.
All my moving parts got to know each other in a very positive way and are quite happy, thank you very much.
Sponsored

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
I may be having the same thing. No oil usage until after first oil change at 1100 miles. I followed the recommended break in and other than some hard pulls after 2000 miles (nothing past 6500 RPM) the car hasn't been driven hard. I also shifted to Amsoil 5W-50 at that oil change.

Between 1100 and current mileage of 2800 the level has gone down about 1/2 way between dots. I am running driver and passenger catch cans. Nothing in driver side and the passenger side has had 2-3 ounces in it during this period. I did a Blackstone analysis at 1100 (results were as expected) and will be changing the oil at 3000 and doing another to get more data.

No matter what Ford says, oil usage isn't something you want or hope to have......so I'm hoping it stops as the engine continues to break in.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've heard of that happening. Sometimes an engine will stop consuming oil. That doesn't mean anything outside of your own experience because that doesn't necessarily mean that if you are consuming oil that it will stop.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
2017 here, owned since 1700 miles. No oil consumption at all and it is at 2400 now.

I do autox it once a month.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This may not apply at all so keep that in mind. I was looking to buy an F-150 V8 a few months ago. Started finding information about excessive oil consumption. Finally found a TSB put out from Ford about it. I may be able to find that TSB later, but will recite what I recall.

Ford said the oil consumption may ease off as miles are gained. Maybe as much as 10,000+. They also were reprograming the computer on affected trucks so the throttle body did not close all the way when you let off the gas. This leaves a gap for air to pass so apparently reduces the vacuum with a closed throttle when coasting. Reduces the vacuum so less oil is sucked past the rings. A theory apparently is the rings are not seating in for a long time.
Ford is also changing the dipstick to read two quarts between full and low, so the engine can show to be OK on the replacement dipstick whereas on the stock dipstick it would read a quart low.
Near as I can make out the new plasma arc method of lining the cylinder wall makes a very hard surface so the rings do not seat so quickly as in the past. That plasma arc cylinder lining had been used in GT 350 engines for many years and was started to be used in Mustang GT and F-150 engines around 2017 or 2018.

Sponsored

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Hello; This may not apply at all so keep that in mind. I was looking to buy an F-150 V8 a few months ago. Started finding information about excessive oil consumption. Finally found a TSB put out from Ford about it. I may be able to find that TSB later, but will recite what I recall.

Ford said the oil consumption may ease off as miles are gained. Maybe as much as 10,000+. They also were reprograming the computer on affected trucks so the throttle body did not close all the way when you let off the gas. This leaves a gap for air to pass so apparently reduces the vacuum with a closed throttle when coasting. Reduces the vacuum so less oil is sucked past the rings. A theory apparently is the rings are not seating in for a long time.
Ford is also changing the dipstick to read two quarts between full and low, so the engine can show to be OK on the replacement dipstick whereas on the stock dipstick it would read a quart low.
Near as I can make out the new plasma arc method of lining the cylinder wall makes a very hard surface so the rings do not seat so quickly as in the past. That plasma arc cylinder lining had been used in GT 350 engines for many years and was started to be used in Mustang GT and F-150 engines around 2017 or 2018.
very interesting!

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
very interesting!

I stumbled across this video and found the smoke from what appears to be the exhaust to be really interesting. Look at roughly 1:48 into the video and check the exhaust between shifts. Adds a little more context to this most recent idea on consumption.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)

Interesting for sure considering that a large percentage of original GT350 owners never see 10,000 miles.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Interesting for sure considering that a large percentage of original GT350 owners never see 10,000 miles.
Hello; Interesting yes. But may not necessarily relate to what the OP is talking about. Just a thought.
Sponsored