aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Hi everyone,

I own a 2020 5.0 GT which has been at the dealer today.

They told me that they had to add 2.5 quarts of engine oil. Since the last service I drove about 5000 miles:

1. Is an oil consumption of 0.5 quarts per 1000 miles abnormal?
  2. Is there a risk of damage as I drove with 7.5 quarts of oil considering a capacity of 10 quarts?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
They told me that they had to add 2.5 quarts of engine oil. Since the last service I drove about 5000 miles:
  1. Is an oil consumption of 0.5 quarts per 1000 miles abnormal?
  2. Is there a risk of damage as I drove with 7.5 quarts of oil considering a capacity of 10 quarts?
  1. It's certainly not typical, but if pressed, Ford will tell you that it's "within normal". BMW used to insist that anything up to 1 qt / 1000 miles was perfectly normal and expected, even through it was a very unusual rate.
  2. Probably not, especially if you were doing normal street driving and didn't see any issues with oil pressure. 2.5 quarts low on the track could be a significantly different matter.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I had a 2011 Mustang GT - the first of the Coyotes. It consumed oil quite a bit. I mean it wasn't unusual to go through 8 quarts for each period between oil changes. I followed the OLM which gave me about 10K miles for the oil. That said, I sold the car with 191K miles and the engine always ran strong. Hell, at 175K miles it put down 390whp no problem. I just kept topping it off but could never detect a loss of performance. And I beat on it like an alcoholic stepfather beats a red-headed stepchild.

I doubt you hurt your motor, but these motors and their relatives (Voodoo, Roadrunner, etc.) may consume substantial amounts of oil. Just keep an eye on it and watch it carefully. 0.5 quart/1K miles is OK as far a Ford is concerned.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
My 2019 (20k miles +) was driven pretty hard, and I changed oil at 50% on the OLM. I'd have to add 0.5 qt or slightly more so over those few thousand miles between changes. I just set up a google reminder and check all the cars every other weekend. And add a pour of Mobil 1 as necessary.

My 2021 is 1k miles in on the first change ive done and halfway between the two holes. If it gets near the bottom hole, Ill add a 1/2 qt.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
The consumption seems a bit high to me but it doesn't mean anything is wrong either. Mine seems to use about a half quart in 4000 miles give or take but I do check my oil at least every couple of weeks. OP I suggest you start checking yours until you have a good idea of what it is consuming. If the car still has fairly low miles on it, it can consume more until it settles in some too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Thanks all.

I confirm I baby drove it for the first 2000 miles and changed the engine oil then.

I actually brought it to the dealer to check the noise as per attached video, but obviously no luck in getting it resolved. I guess I better open a separate post for that issue ;)

Last edited:

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
When you say the oil was changed at 2000 miles, did you change the oil or did the dealer?

If the dealer, it's possible they only put 8 quarts in. There are several threads posted about that happening. The techs/service writers confuse the Gen 2 and Gen 3 motors and put the wrong amount of oil in.

OP
OP

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
When you say the oil was changed at 2000 miles, did you change the oil or did the dealer?

If the dealer, it's possible they only put 8 quarts in. There are several threads posted about that happening. The techs/service writers confuse the Gen 2 and Gen 3 motors and put the wrong amount of oil in.
Dealer changed it and it says 10 quarts on the invoice. But it may still be, thanks for the hint.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
hopefully they just underfilled. this is why i do my own oil changes. its worth the peace of mind.

Sponsored
OP
OP

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
hopefully they just underfilled. this is why i do my own oil changes. its worth the peace of mind.
I hope so. But still wondering if 8 quarts are enough as I drove for 5k miles.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
it requires 10 quarts primarily so that the oil settles at the bottom and you don't suck air into the pump so 8 should be fine if you weren't doing a track day.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Check oil every 500 and add if necessary. I have to add this amount but I have 54000 miles and whippled for 14k no motor problems.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

This was my first thought as well.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
No damage, from experience -- I had mistakenly put 8 QT oil few oil changes thinking One Gallon size was 5 QTs (as in Mobile-1). I finally realized it was a gallon size, 4 QTs. Even though I was low 2 QTs for few 5,000 mile oil changes I don't burn much oil at all (I have 30K miles now). I now use Mobile-1 which is a 5 QT size times two.

I wouldn't be suprised the dealer oil change tech had made a same mistake as I did. Always check oil level before and after oil changes, so you know how much oil you burn, and you confirm correct oil level post oil/filter change.
Sponsored