Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Something's broken. 2.5 qts in 477 miles is nuts.
That's well beyond the oil use of "up to 1 qt per 500 miles" statement Ford makes. Yeah, something is broken, like bad rings. That would also explain why the catch-can fills up pretty fast ... lots of ring blow-by.
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you referring to the driver side if so yes there is a piece there not a catch can. I was told by UPR that its function is to drain oil back but its such small amounts it doesnt matter.

The passenger side has a bilet valve piece where you remove the blue plastic oem piece and put the UPR one in. Its an extra $40 or so and I dont believe it to change any functionality just more durable.

I will keep the driver side piece and simply on the passenger side disable the catch can by directly connecting inlet hose back to the engine.
I looked at the UPR website and they list a UPR Check Valve and the diagram doesn't show a spring. And I suspect it is better to have a spring.

Also it has an arrow, so in theory it could be installed backward.

Can you return the whole PVC system back to stock?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I removed both sides of catch can now. I will drive for 250 miles. I have a very good feeling in 250 miles it wont ask for 1 qt.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I removed both sides of catch can now. I will drive for 250 miles. I have a very good feeling in 250 miles it wont ask for 1 qt.
If it was the catch-can, everyone with a catch-can would be seeing crazy increases in oil consumption. That's not happening. But report back what you find.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I might have been looking at the wrong part on UPR website.

If you select 16-17 GT350 catch can, there is two optional parts to Add, Check Valve, $34.99 and Hi-Flow PVC for $29.99

the billet PVC looks like it only goes on one way, and probably includes a spring. But it would still be a useful test to swap this part back to stock and remove a check valve, if there is one.

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
By all means, with all due respect. I agree German cars get a bad rap for "reliability" it's bunk as far as I am concerned. Yes, the interior is very cheap compared to a BMW. However the GT350 suspension, brakes, transmission, differential, Motor and transmission will all survive abuse. Ask me how I know; crude American cars are uterally indestructible long term. Also the cost to replace said parts down the road will always be less than a BMW.
100% Agree. Let me reiterate that my engine, suspension and transmission put up with serious abuse. I did not drive this car like most of you I see on the road crusing along or at the CarsnCoffee. My car spent it's entire 19,000 miles screaming to 8,250rpm once warmed up, every shift I was driving like I was trying to set a record. The police were called on me multiple times. I got caught once on the highway and had to get a good lawyer. This was not a cruiser at all. I never drove a sports car this hard in my life and it was worth every penny.

Again, the small parts including the aircon at least in mine was junk. Out of warranty it could be an expensive experience. Overall, incredible machine.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I need some help I'm afraid, things are getting worse. Here is an update.

- When I wrote the previous post, I was 60 miles away from home having dinner. Good thing I kept the stock PCV system in the trunk as I was able to quickly revert everything back to stock with the only exception of "High Flow PCV fitting" which is basically a metal version of the light blue piece that sits on valve cover where the passenger side hose connects. To remove that piece you need a very small allen key which I did not want to bother with in case I drop and lose it.

So at that point, entire system was returned back to stock with the exception of that tiny piece. I am not sure if it plays an important role in this PCV system. When I got home, I reverted that as well and comparing it to the stock unit, I can see that its a through and through fitting with a larger overall opening (breathes better I guess) whereas the light blue stock fitting has some sort of a filtering mechanism in it.

- Anyways, upon starting the car and driving, the first 4-5 miles I kept seeing a lot of smoke coming the back of the car every time I got on gas over 2500-3000 rpm. I could see the smoke from the rear view mirror, coming from both sides of the exhaust. The smoke went away in 10 minutes or so and never came back.

- When I got home, I checked the oil level again and had to add 1 more quart to bring the oil level back to the mid way between low/high marks. I also put the blue plastic piece back on the passenger side removing that high flow fitting. That's 1 quart in 60 miles.

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm sure there is a viable explanation to this.

A note I want to make is, there was a quite audible washy wushy kind of air sucking noise that was most easily identifiable when you put your ear closer to the air filter which disappeared when I reverted the black high flow PCV fitting with the blue plastic piece. I always assumed it was the aggressive CAI sucking air even at idle (it sounds like air being sucked) and assumed it was normal. Now that noise is gone completely. Please note that noise was there at the restaurant even after reverting the entire thing back to stock, but disappeared when I replaced the one remaining metal piece with the light blue plastic fitting.

Help me:shrug:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
blue smoke may have gone away once the cats got hot and started burning off the blue smoke.

high flow PCV may have a different spring pressure than stock, and allow more air flow at vacuum / idle, generating noise at the air filter.

sounds like the car needs to go to shop. Maybe the piston rings got fouled and not generating a proper seal.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
100% Agree. Let me reiterate that my engine, suspension and transmission put up with serious abuse. I did not drive this car like most of you I see on the road crusing along or at the CarsnCoffee. My car spent it's entire 19,000 miles screaming to 8,250rpm once warmed up, every shift I was driving like I was trying to set a record. The police were called on me multiple times. I got caught once on the highway and had to get a good lawyer. This was not a cruiser at all. I never drove a sports car this hard in my life and it was worth every penny.

Again, the small parts including the aircon at least in mine was junk. Out of warranty it could be an expensive experience. Overall, incredible machine.
My two year experience with the e39 540i made me swear to never own another BMW. With time my memory fadesand who knows what I'll drive down the road. If the gt350 with 50k miles has you worried, what other high performance car with 50k miles would you own worry free? Interested in your thoughts.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
blue smoke may have gone away once the cats got hot and started burning off the blue smoke.

high flow PCV may have a different spring pressure than stock, and allow more air flow at vacuum / idle, generating noise at the air filter.

sounds like the car needs to go to shop. Maybe the piston rings got fouled and not generating a proper seal.
There is no spring in the PCV fitting. I think you are confusing 2 things.

- Billet PCV valve is a golf ball size piece that you stick on to the driver side valve fitting

- High flow PCV "fitting" is just a fitting that they sell as an upgrade to the existing blue plastic fitting on the passenger side valve cover. This is the piece the PCV hose clips on.

The upr fitting is nothing but a straight pipe with a thread that you screw it into the valve cover. The stock fitting is the same except it has a filter (or what looks like it).

The smoke I saw was gray not blue. I will try this again tomorrow and record a video.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I saw the word smoke, imagined blue smoke, and then I typed that. NM

I don't know much about PCV and catch cans, and mostly just speculating.

Maybe I could speculate better with photos.

Or someone else can chime in that has one of these.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
- When I got home, I checked the oil level again and had to add 1 more quart to bring the oil level back to the mid way between low/high marks. I also put the blue plastic piece back on the passenger side removing that high flow fitting. That's 1 quart in 60 miles.

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm sure there is a viable explanation to this.

Help me:shrug:
By chance - are you waiting 15min to check oil?

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
OMG get rid of TPOS! I'm starting to think the voodoo is bad voodoo!!

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... The smoke I saw was gray not blue. I will try this again tomorrow and record a video.
this posting says that both gray smoke and blue smoke indicate an oil problem.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smoke-from-engine-or-exhaust-inspection

If the exhaust smoke is blue or gray:

Thick blue or gray smoke is an indication of the vehicle burning oil, which means that oil is somehow leaking into your engine’s combustion chamber. Burning oil like this can cause a wide range of issues from reduced fuel economy to less-than-stellar acceleration. There may also be an increase in hydrocarbon emissions, as well as damage to the catalytic converter.
Sponsored