Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm wondering if anyone here has changed brands of oil and noticed any change in their oil consumption under the same driving conditions?
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I experienced that back years ago with dino oil, but I'm not sure if the principal applies to synthetic oil or not.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
IMO, I think it's a bit obsessive on the time factor. Ford just did it that way because they recommend changing the oil every year regardless of mileage, but in most cases oil is still plenty good after a year if the car is driven long enough to always get the oil to full operating temperature for some time. A UOA confirms oil can last way longer than 1 year if the car is used correctly.
full operating temperature may evaporate off any water, but what about fuel / blow-by contamination ?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I checked my car. Last oil change 2000 miles ago, and it required a quart of oil not that long ago. Oil life monitor is tracking "normal" usage.

Maybe Average MPG is a better metric. According to the numbers below, if I am driving in a "normal" manner, my car should average 18 mpg. But I am significantly below that.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2017_Ford_Mustang.shtml

GT350: 14,21, 16 combined
GT: 15,25, 18 combined

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'm wondering if anyone here has changed brands of oil and noticed any change in their oil consumption under the same driving conditions?
I went from Motorcraft to Amsoil and haven't noticed a difference.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I went from Motorcraft to Amsoil and haven't noticed a difference.
I helped a good friend of mine change his oil on his R model last Saturday and he also decided to put in 10 quarts of Amsoil in his car as well.

Based on conversations over the past year my understanding is that Castrol is the present oil supplier under the Motorcraft brand name.

If I switch to another oil brand it will be Amsoil in spite of the extra cost.

(PS: Was thinking of going to Royal Purple but after communicating with them recently I found out that the do not produce the grade of oil that we all require for our Boss 302, GT500 and GT350 cars.)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: H6G

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I helped a good friend of mine change his oil on his R model last Saturday and he also decided to put in 10 quarts of Amsoil in his car as well.

Based on conversations over the past year my understanding is that Castrol is the present oil supplier under the Motorcraft brand name.

If I switch to another oil brand it will be Amsoil in spite of the extra cost.

(PS: Was thinking of going to Royal Purple but after communicating with them recently I found out that the do not produce the grade of oil that we all require for our Boss 302, GT500 and GT350 cars.)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Well.... that explains as to why they are using Castrol in the new Ford GT

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I owned a GT350 for about 18 months and drove just over 19,000 epic miles. Let's just say I wouldn't dare own one without a warranty.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO, I think it's a bit obsessive on the time factor. Ford just did it that way because they recommend changing the oil every year regardless of mileage, but in most cases oil is still plenty good after a year if the car is driven long enough to always get the oil to full operating temperature for some time. A UOA confirms oil can last way longer than 1 year if the car is used correctly.
Feel free to save a few bucks if that's what you prefer. I would change the oil every 3 months whether I drove the car or not. I might let my '99 F250 wait 6 months between changes, but even on that old thing I wouldn't wait a year. To each his own. :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Feel free to save a few bucks if that's what you prefer. I would change the oil every 3 months whether I drove the car or not. I might let my '99 F250 wait 6 months between changes, but even on that old thing I wouldn't wait a year. To each his own. :cheers:
I do it every 3,000 miles.

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I owned a GT350 for about 18 months and drove just over 19,000 epic miles. Let's just say I wouldn't dare own one without a warranty.
Elaborate...

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Total waste of full synthetic oil. If it was $0.98/qt oil from the dollar store then yeah, might want to change it that often.
absolutely, totally, completely, utterly agreed.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Thermostat, Alternator, Air Conditioning and coilpacks all had to be replaced under warranty. My car was one of the first 300 built so the quirks are not surprising but I found them to be unsettling all added up. Overall those 19,000 miles were among the greatest driving experiences of my life but I think a GT350 with 50,000 miles and no warranty potentially could be a very expensive ownership experience. If you're on the fence, buy the car, drive the pants off of it and then dump it. I don't see these as viable long term cars unless these quirks were sorted.
Sponsored