Sponsored

oil consumption 2021 5.0

amracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Hey guys so i bought my 2021 5.0 new it currently has 8000mi and i noticed it was consuming oil over my last oil change . So i took it in to ford dealer to get checked out they decided to mark the dipstick and do an oil change to check how much oil consumption it was actually having. Long story short i took it back 1000mi later and they found it was low about 1/2 qt of oil . which they told me is normal . I dont find that normal on a completly stock 5.0 . but maybe im mistaken please let me know your opinions or expieriences with this issue. Im also dying to tune the car but not sure with this oil consumption any advice or opinions apreciated thanks guys
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hey guys so i bought my 2021 5.0 new it currently has 8000mi and i noticed it was consuming oil over my last oil change . So i took it in to ford dealer to get checked out they decided to mark the dipstick and do an oil change to check how much oil consumption it was actually having. Long story short i took it back 1000mi later and they found it was low about 1/2 qt of oil . which they told me is normal . I dont find that normal on a completly stock 5.0 . but maybe im mistaken please let me know your opinions or expieriences with this issue. Im also dying to tune the car but not sure with this oil consumption any advice or opinions apreciated thanks guys
It’s high but within manufacturers specs.
usually up to 1 quart per 800/1000 miles
Beware that you can say goodbye to your warranty if you tune it
Only exception being ford performance that have their own warranty

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Yeah a quart every 1000 miles is considered normal by Ford. My Gen 3 Coyote F150 drank a quart every 3k for about 60k miles. I did the TSB for oil consumption and started running 5w30 instead of 5w20 and it started being a quart low at 5k which was OK since I was changing anyway. Plus holding 9 quarts it wasn't too big a deal at that point. Now my Mustang only has about 6k miles so far but when I changed at 5K it was still showing full.

OP
OP
amracer

amracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Thanks for comments guys wondering if anyone has tuned with similar consumption and if any problems were had ?

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
I had a 2021 California special , with 800 miles on it I heard a brief clanging sound and the
check engine light came on . Cam sensor out of spec . I called my dealer and got an appointment 2 days later .

Brought car in , got a call 2 hrs later my oil was down 6 qts . They thought it was down and PDI missed it so they filled me up and off I went . A week later light came on again , down 6 qts again , dealer filled it up and sealed the stick for a consumption test .

@ the 300 mile mark , test was for 1000 I had about 12 lbs of oil pressure so dealer said bring it in , it was down 7 qts . LONG STORY SHORT :

With 2000 miles on the car Ford wouldn't give me a new motor , they did heads , cats and a few other things over the course of a month , when I got the car back , I drove a tank of gas through it and while I was filling up I checked the oil , DOWN 3QUARTS !

The next day I ordered my MACH 1 and traded the Cali Special for a Explorer ST . I guess it all worked out in the end .

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Honestly, drive it like you stole it and compression brake the motor. At 8000 miles it might not make a difference but you’ve got nothing to lose.
I’m not suggesting to beat the living crap out of it but you need to load the motor and then compression braking will pull extra oil up to the rings to flush out break-in particles.
Pampering a new motor is a mistake as much as beating it to a pulp. There’s a balance. Also some oils can be to good and impede ring seating and the burnishing process.
Good old fashion Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 or 5W-30 for 3000 miles or so.

OP
OP
amracer

amracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Ill definatly try that i hope it makes a difference also if anyone has tuned their car with similar issue you input would be apreciated

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
I have a new '21 with 15K miles. Been to the dealer now for 3 oil changes. Check my dipstick weekly. Oil level doesn't move. first oil change at 2K, rest at 5K intervals. tracked the car 3 times last summer.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's pretty normal. Lots of them burn a little bit. Mine burns a quart every 2-3000 miles depending on how I drive it. On 5w30 it burns far less though, almost zero consumption in 2k last time I used it.

Your option is to live with it or trade it, they'll never fix it unless it's burning more than a quart in 1000. Many of these engines will last just fine despite the burning, but a catch can is a good idea if you have a burner.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Mine was a qt over 6k miles or so laast time.

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Make sure the dealer is putting in 5w30 as that is the spec for the 2021. It was 5w20 for the 2020 so the dealers tech often get it wrong on the 2021 coyote.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Any you guys that have oil consumption modded ? tuned?
You can see my mods in the signature. I warm mine up really well before I drive it like I stole it. And I use Mobil 1 5w-30.

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
When I had my 2021 I drove it moderately the first 700 miles, then started running it hard. I did an oil change somewhere between 1k-1500 miles then took it on a 4k mile road trip and changed the oil again.
Sold the car at 9k miles. The oil on the dipstick was always at the same spot before I did an oil change as it was when I got done with the last change. I don’t believe in beating the snot out of a new engine, but out of the probably 8-10 new cars I’ve had I’ve also never babied them either (and none of them gave me issues).
Sponsored