Oil change warning after service at dealership

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
This happened a couple of times now at two different Ford dealerships. I drop the car for warranty work and also ask for oil change, and few days after getting car back i get change a engine oil warning. I went through the paperwork and they clearly indicate that 10 quarts of fully synthetic oil (with filter) was changed and that maintenance indicator was reset to 100%. When i call them to ask about it, they conveniently state that they forgot to reset the oil life monitor.

Has this happened to anyone else ? Is this a case of them being lazy and just forgetting to reset the oil life monitor :headbang: or not doing an oil change and charging me... i'm being a little skeptical here lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Try to find a good Jiffy Lube around you. Maybe take a daily driver to one around you and see if you can make some connections there. I have a great Jiffy Lube near me I use for a few reasons. I get to stand right with the guys and loiter around as they work on my car....my car is never out of my sight. The car doesn’t go up in the air, as they have a pit underneath. I bring my own oil and filter so I know 100% what goes in my car. I just pay maybe $30-40 bucks labor and give $10 tip. Dealerships can’t be trusted for oil changes on a vehicle that is a persons pride and joy. Too many chances for mishaps. I am sure lots of us know of the general reputation of Jiffy Lube for a variety of reasons...but if you happen to live near a good one as I do, it can be a great option.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I wouldn't trust a dealership to do anything that's not warranty work, and that's only because they have to do it. I had an oil change done on my '15 at a dealership that builds and sells custom supercharged mustangs and their clowns forgot to tighten a filter one time and I was leaking oil. And that's just one problem at one dealership. Somebody else I knew had an oil change done on their explorer and they didn't properly replace a cowl underneath and it broke off under the vehicle while driving, shattered that piece and it took off a chunk of the rear valence.

They most likely have the most useless, equally unimportant (and probably least paid) employees do oil changes. I mean it's cheaper, especially if you just let them use Ford/motorcraft synth blend, but with what I've seen, it's one place I've learned not to skimp. I've learned to treat car maintenance like I would surgery; I'm not going to the lowest bidder.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Pull the dip and the oil should look clear. No doubt they just didn't reset the OLM as the car doesn't know the oil was changed without that reset. But yeah they should do better than that!

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Try to find a good Jiffy Lube around you. Maybe take a daily driver to one around you and see if you can make some connections there. I have a great Jiffy Lube near me I use for a few reasons. I get to stand right with the guys and loiter around as they work on my car....my car is never out of my sight. The car doesn’t go up in the air, as they have a pit underneath. I bring my own oil and filter so I know 100% what goes in my car. I just pay maybe $30-40 bucks labor and give $10 tip. Dealerships can’t be trusted for oil changes on a vehicle that is a persons pride and joy. Too many chances for mishaps. I am sure lots of us know of the general reputation of Jiffy Lube for a variety of reasons...but if you happen to live near a good one as I do, it can be a great option.
I wouldn't trust a dealership to do anything that's not warranty work, and that's only because they have to do it. I had an oil change done on my '15 at a dealership that builds and sells custom supercharged mustangs and their clowns forgot to tighten a filter one time and I was leaking oil. And that's just one problem at one dealership. Somebody else I knew had an oil change done on their explorer and they didn't properly replace a cowl underneath and it broke off under the vehicle while driving, shattered that piece and it took off a chunk of the rear valence.

They most likely have the most useless, equally unimportant (and probably least paid) employees do oil changes. I mean it's cheaper, especially if you just let them use Ford/motorcraft synth blend, but with what I've seen, it's one place I've learned not to skimp. I've learned to treat car maintenance like I would surgery; I'm not going to the lowest bidder.
Both instances were when i had to get warranty work done and they've had the car for more than a week. VCT solenoid replacement and most recently the shift forks. I thought it would be best to get the oil change done same time since I was due for it anyway. I specifically ask for fully Synthetic oil to be put in and they charge like $120, so with what they're charging i think this is unacceptable..

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just had my first oil change done. Checked the dip stick. They didn't put enough in. Common issue from what I read. It's really not hard to change oil. Why so many dealers have issues with something so simple as oil changes baffles me.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Why so many dealers have issues with something so simple as oil changes baffles me.
Cause their techs are morons. Everything is R&R, very little diagnosing or common sense, like check to make sure it's actually full instead of just watching the counter.

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
and the irony ..Ford sends surveys after each time i visit a dealership. The service advisor requests "Please leave a 5 star rating" ...

other hilarious things that i got out of my recent visit
i) the passenger seat creaking noise is normal. Every Mustang does it, nothing can be done
ii) Since you visited us through a FB Mustang group referral, we did you you a HUGE favor replacing the transmission shift forks under warranty even though you have a MGW shifter...I was like WTF there's already a TSB out there lol...

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
and the irony ..Ford sends surveys after each time i visit a dealership. The service advisor requests "Please leave a 5 star rating" ...

other hilarious things that i got out of my recent visit
i) the passenger seat creaking noise is normal. Every Mustang does it, nothing can be done
ii) Since you visited us through a FB Mustang group referral, we did you you a HUGE favor replacing the transmission shift forks under warranty even though you have a MGW shifter...I was like WTF there's already a TSB out there lol...

These ford dealers are clowns I’m jacking around with 2 of them now... useless.
My last dodge dealer came through for me with my last vehicle... may go back to them...

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
These cars have 10 quarts of oil in them for a 305 cubic inch engine. Most big V8's have 4 quarts. If it's a bit low ... it doesn't matter much as long as you can see the oil on the dipstick. That said, I always check my dipstick before driving away from an oil change and keep it topped in between. Another thing, NEVER let THEM start the car after the oil change. I watched several places change oil for someone else, get in, start it, and then immediately run it up to 1500 - 2000 rpm to "help the oil move."

Morons. That does a LOT of damage to an engine (running with no oil). On an earlier car with some performance enhancements, I added a separate ignition toggle switch so I could run the starter until I had oil pressure and THEN enable the ignition. People thought it was hard to start, but my engine was always spotless inside after a race season. The ONLY time I would intentionally run with no oil is when building a VW for a sandrail. I would assemble it dry (at least the pistons / rings) and start it an let it idle just to help the rings seat. Sandrails don't typically get a lot of run time, and seating the rings with a bit of wear would be more important than any other oil-related damage that might occur. "Assemble it dry" just means no added oil in the cylinder during assembly when the pistons are inserted into the cylinders ... not a lack of oil in the crankcase.

Cheers.

Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
After you have your oil changed just check to make sure it has been reset to 100%, just takes a second

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Do it yourself. Only takes 15 minutes to do it.

I take the old oil and throw it in gallon milk jugs and drop it off at Auto Zone

NorthernProducer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOHN
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, 2019 F150 Lariat, 2020 CT5, 2019 C7
It's not worth it...even when the oil change is complementary. My Ford dealer gave me back my Mustang recently with a leak at the filter and the oil life that was never reset. Looks like I'll be changing the oil myself...sad that even the lowest level tech can't successfully do a simple oil change!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do it yourself. Only takes 15 minutes to do it.
Takes me a bit longer. I let it drain for like an hour or so. I'm in no rush haha.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I just had my first oil change done. Checked the dip stick. They didn't put enough in. Common issue from what I read. It's really not hard to change oil. Why so many dealers have issues with something so simple as oil changes baffles me.
You have got to be kidding me - I feel for you. When was this oil change done? Recently? These low-end "Techs" are STILL getting the fill capacity wrong? This generation of Mustang is practically done, for crying out loud. MY18s with the updated Coyote were on the road in 2017...
Sponsored