Sponsored

Oil change light after 1yr, 2k miles

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 1966 Mustang Coupe
Got the car April 2019, got the oil changed around November 2019. It's been right about 1 year and 2k miles since then.

Assuming it's the time and not the mileage, but I'm curious as to why the oil would need to be changed just on time, isn't it synthetic and not subject to break down?

Thanks
Sponsored

Allan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Got the car April 2019, got the oil changed around November 2019. It's been right about 1 year and 2k miles since then.

Assuming it's the time and not the mileage, but I'm curious as to why the oil would need to be changed just on time, isn't it synthetic and not subject to break down?

Thanks
the oil will absorb moisture over time.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Thanks
Most automotive OEM's set a one-year limit on oil life. It's not totally clear why - you'd have to ask them. One possible factor: if you're one year into an oil change and the engine running algorithm hasn't called for a change, the oil may have accumulated moisture and combustion byproducts that develop when the engine is warming up after a cold start. Ford had to pick a number to get rid of that kind of contamination, and 1 year won. There was a time when BMW used a 2 year limit and they've since dropped back to 1 year. I guess two years was too long.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The OLM on many cars are time and mileage based.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
From 2019 GT350 owners manual (pg.58)

1605751470400.png

Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150

Thanks
Here is the problem. You need to put more miles on her. About 2000 a month if you can :wink:

Just kidding. There is a counter/clock built in so even if you don’t drive it much you still need maintenance. Don’t panic though just schedule a service appointment.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/2170/oil-drain-interval-tan-tbn

" TAN is not a measure of acid that has been neutralised - it is a measure of the presence of un-neutralised acidic species. This includes a number of chemical types, not all of which are highly or even moderately corrosive to the metals in an engine. However, in general terms, higher TAN is worse."

In all likelyhood there are a lot of factors and temperature extremes is the most damaging. You should change used oil after some amount of time and only sample analysis can tell you when that is.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/2170/oil-drain-interval-tan-tbn

" TAN is not a measure of acid that has been neutralised - it is a measure of the presence of un-neutralised acidic species. This includes a number of chemical types, not all of which are highly or even moderately corrosive to the metals in an engine. However, in general terms, higher TAN is worse."

In all likelihood there are a lot of factors and temperature extremes is the most damaging. You should change used oil after some amount of time and only sample analysis can tell you when that is.
I did oil analysis on all of the family cars for most of a decade and I eventually realized that the modern oil life monitor is programmed to know in advance what an oil analysis report is going to say. Between ECU's that have excellent control over combustion and newer generation oils (API SN, Porsche C30 spec, etc) there' no real benefit to oil sampling if all you're worried about is TBN and TAN. Both will be in good shape when the OLM says "change it". I ran my GT350 MC 5w50 to zero on the OLM in 2019 and 2020, with 10 and 9 track days each plus highway, and the TBN was around 70% of new both times.

The two oil analysis numbers I'm most interested in are oxidation and nitration, neither of which is on a Blackstone report. I have my analyses done at a Caterpillar lab just so I can get those numbers.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I did oil analysis on all of the family cars for most of a decade and I eventually realized that the modern oil life monitor is programmed to know in advance what an oil analysis report is going to say. Between ECU's that have excellent control over combustion and newer generation oils (API SN, Porsche C30 spec, etc) there' no real benefit to oil sampling if all you're worried about is TBN and TAN. Both will be in good shape when the OLM says "change it". I ran my GT350 MC 5w50 to zero on the OLM in 2019 and 2020, with 10 and 9 track days each plus highway, and the TBN was around 70% of new both times.

The two oil analysis numbers I'm most interested in are oxidation and nitration, neither of which is on a Blackstone report. I have my analyses done at a Caterpillar lab just so I can get those numbers.
Agreed, though I would be surprised if oxidation was ever really an issue if using true full synth. If you are aware of the infamous 993-996-997 IMS bearing issue oil going rancid is a real problem. But it does take a significant amount of time sitting around after experiencing combustion to get that way. Which is why it is recommend to change the oil before storage. Unused oil has for practical purposes a very long if not infinite shelf life. Allowing you to store the car without any fear of damage

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Great perspective. But maybe worth noting the algorithms assume you're using a fully synthetic 5W50 that meets those minimum specs. If you ran your local QuickStop brand 10W30 conventional oil, the OLM on the car would still yield the same results, knowing good and well the oil would be no where near that condition (well...maybe, LOL).

Now, agreed, and highly unlikely someone with this car would actually do that, but more a point towards the fact that onboard OLM's do not actually monitor/sample the oil.
Sponsored