Oil change, did I screw up?

arsenix2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Just did an oil change on my 2017 350R. It has the newer cartridge/canister filter. When I went to install the cartridge filter I seated it in the filter housing first and then installed it by hand, was able to snug it all the way up by hand, only needing a half tun with the tq wrench. It was then I see the instructions to seat the filter in the engine side first. Any chance this thing isnt seated right? On my old 6.0 and 6.2 diesels the filter always went in the housing first per instructions. Debating pulling it off to check.
Sponsored

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
If the canister screwed on all but half a turn I would say your filter is correctly seated. I would not worry about it.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Funny you should post this. I went through the same dilemma last week after I changed my oil. Did the same thing you did. I figured that if the filter did not seat properly it would be really difficult to screw it in fully, even with a wrench.

OP
OP

arsenix2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Funny you should post this. I went through the same dilemma last week after I changed my oil. Did the same thing you did. I figured that if the filter did not seat properly it would be really difficult to screw it in fully, even with a wrench.
I agree, I wasn't sure the tolorances but I would have to imagine there is not enough play to let the housing screw all the way down if the filter were cocked. The housing holds it pretty centered up if I remember correctly.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You are fine

Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I always pop it back in the canister and thread it back on, I'm about 5 oil changes in. I'm not saying that's how it should be done every time, definitely follow the Oil Change Guidelines if you aren't confident. You'll know immediately though if it wasn't seated properly. It wouldn't screw on so smoothly. If you noticed, there is some side to side play when its seated in the canister.

OP
OP

arsenix2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thanks guys, I had some free time yesterday and checked it just for peace of mind and it was just fine. So apparently either way works. Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored