Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You are prolly all good

Id buy your car in a second.
But.. Id rather just walk you thru a compression and leak down test while drinkn beer. Cheap n easy n fun to learn about the motor and youll feel great knowing its all good.

Never fill to top mark cold, that is way too full as 10qts needs room to expand when hot.
What oil?
Where is the level when full hot after run hard?
Total miles?
Number of minutes above CHT 225 during repeated WOT?

If you are even 3/4 or above full hot, it is very likely you are whipping oil with windage. This will cause way faster crankcase venting of oil back to intake or can. Post in the track forum, but you may be surprised that more experienced track drivers aim for low mark to half mark MAX HOT(CHT 210-230).

Keep in mind the ring gaps and ring package is intended for track use durability. The gap is wide enough that at CHT 265 at 8000 rpm, it may have slight room so it doesnt buckle/bind from being too tight. You should expect blowby from gap going WOT fairly cool while cruising around.

These engines run oil squirters for piston cooling.

Do a track day and run the car hard for 4x 20 minutes sessions at full track temps.
Also, try keeping your oil at low mark hot (engine off 1-3 min for drain back). You may find your consumption rate drop significantly.

Wheres your nearest track?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Puffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Black W/ Blue Stripes (H4044)
EDIT: I dont know why the pictures are sideways even though I rotated them

Engine has 12100 miles.

Update - I have now checked my catch can 2 times, once after 250 miles, another after 340 miles. The first time I got 3 oz and the second time I got 3.5 oz. I also had to add 1 qt each time which is a lot more than I usually used to add. I usually used to add about 1/2 qt every 500-600 miles. Now I added 1 qt after 340 miles. And added 1 qt after 500 miles. I am adding pictures of the both times. The bottle I am using is blackstone labs sample bottle which holds exactly 3.5 oz when full as per their website.

I am now getting quite concerned:

- Is this normal? What should I do about it?
- Is my oil usage going up because I have a catch can (i.e. the oil that was going back to the engine is not going back to the engine and I am collecting it now and I have to add more oil)?
- What is the explanation behind the oil usage, is it simply bad quality of engine building/components, is it a leak?

Changing the engine is not an option, I am not going to get a no VIN crate engine not to mention have my car torn apart. I am either going to sell the car if I am convinced it is doomed and never come back to GT350 OR I am going to continue driving the shit out of it. I am averaging 1200 miles/month on this car just FYI. I dont hold back, I dont keep it in the garage.

I would like to add that I do an oil change every 3000 miles (plus the 1200 mile break in change), and every time I take a sample and send it to blackstone and the reports have been exceptional. The last 2 times I actually got 0 lead, none. And TBN comes extremely well so does all other components. Not a single component is outside of range. Although I dont know if this is because I keep adding oil all the time diluting the oil I have in the oil pan. Blackstone says the samples they get from my car is probably at the top 1% compared to other GT350 samples. They also say based on the TBN, I can run the oil 2 - 2.5 times longer although I dont do that.
I do not know much about catch cans other than threads and videos i've seen. however have you considered that maybe something is wrong with your catch can?

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I've never owned a catch can and never will.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I've never owned a catch can and never will.
Not sure if you realize you bumped a 2 year old thread in the GT350 forum to announce that to us.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Thanks, I'm sorry I didn't look at the date. I don't no how I got into a 2 year old thread but I did.
Sponsored