Sponsored

Oil around these valve cover sensors. Should I be concerned?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hey everyone,

I was doing some general maintenance on my 2018 GT when I noticed the passenger side valve cover sensors (dont know what they are for, please educate) have oil accumulation around them. Looked on the driver side but did not see anything like this. Should I be concerned? I am guessing leaking oil around sensors is bad news. The car has 39,000 miles and I bought it brand new.

The first picture shows both sensors from the passenger side and the second and third pics are close-ups

Thanks
image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok lets not all jump in at the same time to answer šŸ˜

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Those are your VCT solenoid plugs for each camshaft/phaser. Pretty common leak point on the Ecoboost engines too. If it's like the Ecoboost V6 you likely can't purchase the seals individually, but rather just have to replace the valve cover. Super easy and cheap job normally. Unfortunately, the passenger side has the high pressure fuel pump in the way. Not sure if that affects valve cover removal or not. But if it does, it will be a giant pain in the ass. Warranty should cover it for you. It's not a big deal at all though, oil leakage won't affect anything as far as function goes unless it's abhorrent. Light seepage isn't an emergency.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I wouldn't call that a 'leak' OP. It's barely just oily around, and could have been like that from the factory. With mild stuff like that, the first step is to clean the area very well, and keep an eye on it. If it truly leaks in the future, then you can think if it's worth messing with valve cover replacement or not. But the way it looks, I bet there's no leak :). Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Elp_jc Thanks, I just wanted to make sure this is not an issue. The reason I was alarmed is because this is towards the top of the engine/valve cover. If this kind of seepage was around the oil pan area, I could understand a little bit of oil but since this was at the top, it got me thinking of the possibility of something being off. You know gravity and stuff can pull oil down but towards the top of the engine didn't seem right.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying. Learned something new today, so its a good day.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yep, carefully clean it up with Q-Tips soaked in rubbing alchohol, then monitor. If it took 39,000 miles to look like they are, then IMO not anything to really worry about.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
That's not considered a leak, don't worry about it. That's basically oil vapor wetness. Totally normal

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
The seal where the oil is coming out is basically like an elastic waistband, it is not exactly tight like a compressed gasket. Itā€™s not uncommon to see some small amount of wetness over time. Itā€™s mostly unavoidable with this type of seal. You could replace it, but will end up having the same issue again.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, carefully clean it up with Q-Tips soaked in rubbing alchohol, then monitor. If it took 39,000 miles to look like they are, then IMO not anything to really worry about.
Thanks, will do.

That's not considered a leak, don't worry about it. That's basically oil vapor wetness. Totally normal
Thanks, I realized I sound paranoid:crazy:

The seal where the oil is coming out is basically like an elastic waistband, it is not exactly tight like a compressed gasket. Itā€™s not uncommon to see some small amount of wetness over time. Itā€™s mostly unavoidable with this type of seal. You could replace it, but will end up having the same issue again.
I appreciate the info, Mike. Learned new stuff from all of you, thanks.

Sponsored

Efrainnava20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
EfraĆ­n
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang gt
Hey man Iā€™m having this issue did you end up figuring it out ? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey man Iā€™m having this issue did you end up figuring it out ? Thanks in advance
Hey , I just cleaned around the area and dealt with it that way. It was considered normal when I took it to the dealership. I have around 65,000 miles on the car and I occasionally clean around the area. Never had enough seepage to be a concern.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP