Oil amount Built Motor

horsepower addiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
s550
They probably were swapping out the gen2 shortblock to a gen3. If the gen3 was ordered new it would not come with an oil pan. So to make everything work with what they had they just reused the pan.
Sponsored

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Read post 6. I explained what I ment, cannot ‘just bolt on Gen2 on Gen3 without changing the oil pickup.

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Besides, OP checked with builder and a Gen2 was correctly installed. My first post was confusing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A gen2 pan is a simple bolt into the gen3
Yes it physically bolts onto the block, but it's not the only thing that needs to be swapped out in order for it to work. If you have the engine as a bare shortblock, yes it's easy to bolt on. If you have the engine in the car, you can't just drop the pan and put a new one up in it's place. You need to do alot more work.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Gen 2 pan is metal, gen 3 pan is plastic.

Gen2 pan needs about 8quarts with filter.
Gen3 needs about 10.5 quarts with filter.

A gen2 pan can easily be put on a gen3 if you use the gen2 oil pickup and gen2 oil pump (or a conversion pickup that is made).

I have ran both on a 3-2-2 setup.

Keep in mind you need to run the correct dipstick for the pan. For some reason I noticed the dipsticks read off. For example my gen2 dipstick was showing off with the gen3 oil pan so I switched to a gen3 dipstick and now it reads accurately. Not sure why, maybe I’m stupid, but they are also different part numbers.

So when in doubt, if the pan is metal throw in about 8 quarts with a new filter. And if it’s plastic do 10.5 with a new filter. Also run atleast 5w30 but preferably 5w50
Sponsored