Sponsored

Oil amount Built Motor

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Dumb question, am on a Gen 2 car, it was previously a Gen2 short block and is now a Gen 3 short block with Gen 2 heads, anyone that is experienced that can Chime in and let me know if it is the 10qts, or the 8? I'm leaning towards 10 but not 100%, ill still be checking oil level with indicator after the fact
Sponsored

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
10qts (9.6L to max level to be exact (with a brand new oil filter))

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With a gen 3 oil pan, 10qts. A gen 2 oil pan is not a simple bolt-on to gen 3 block. I assume you used a gen 3 pan.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I am on a Gen 2 Oil pan, I sent the one from my Gen 2 to the builder and they installed it, so now I am confused, Im pretty positive it is a Gen 3 because they stated that is what is going to be used, and the top of the short block looks exactly like the Gen 3 so not sure how they made the oil pan work

Sponsored

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry if I caused confusion. The gen2 pan will fit, but the oil pick up has to be changed. Check with your builder to determine what oil pan was used. The gen2 pan requires 8 qts of oil. The gen3 pan requires 10 qts of oil. Your builder should know what pan was used, thus how much oil to use.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Appreciate it, I will ask and see what they used, will have to wait for monday

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
if he sent you pics of the build it should be obvious which one he's using.
apparently gen3's have the pickup built into the pan while gen 2's and previous have the older style where the pickup bolts onto the block as a separate thing.

so if you look under the car and see a plastic pan your car takes 10 quarts.
if you see the old pan its whatever that pan takes.

I guess thats some good news, there doesn't appear to be any mixing and matching the parts in this situation.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
hmm, I didn't receive pictures. I actually have to reach out to them about those, they told me it was going to shipped with the Motor, but it was just my receipts and startup instructions. I sent them my pickup tube and the oil pan so I would have expected them to use that. It is a very reputable shop that did this, so I trust their work. Will probably just need to wait until Monday to confirm.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You're going to have to confirm which pan exactly was installed on your motor, as they both take vastly different amounts and if you mix that up you're going to be either severely over or severely under.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Okay cool it was 8QT they confirmed with me that since Gen2 pan then it is 8, not sure what they did to make it work but i trust them so I’ll go with that, thanks everyone

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
not sure what they did to make it work but i trust them so I’ll go with that
Parts are generally interchangeable between the generations, so as long as they used the matching Gen 2 oil pump and pickup tube then it will work with the Gen 2 pan. You just can't use Gen 3 oil pumps with Gen 2 pans.