Sponsored

"Oh F@#k, I'm on fire"... Follow Up to "Bad Day"

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Wow, scary looking. Really glad your ok.
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Scary stuff brother. A calm had kept you safe that's for sure.

Ford taking care of you with an R is way cool. Did they figure out the cause of the failure?

Edit: saw it was something with an oil sensor thingy

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the information about this. I'm glad to hear you're ok and Ford really stepped up.

OldDragon

Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
It's good to see that you everything turned out ok and you can tell us the story.

After following a few of the threads where the accident info was "leaked", I was crossing my fingers for you that you would get another car. Now that I see the fireball, I now clearly see that someone was looking out for you all along. The new car isn't the miracle in this story. Wow!

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
As everybody else said, I'm obviously very glad you got out not only alive, but uninjured physically.

That being said, this worries me much much more than any tech pack limp mode issue. Thank you for coming forward and talking about what happened. This is good information. Granted, I have limited track experience, but I've never heard of a modern sports car bursting into flames like this on the track. It is also disconcerting that this led to brake failure.

I think Ford needs to research this and explain why this happened so/before somebody doesn't get severely injured or killed. It's bad enough this happened on the track, but it sounds like it could happen on the street. I drive with my family in the car quite a bit (I'm sure others as well) and I'd like to be confident that my car isn't going to burst into flames.

Not trying to be a drama queen and make more of the situation then it might be, but a car bursting into flames like this shouldn't happen. On the track or not. Much less lead to total brake failure. This is no joke and I'm really glad you were able to walk away from it.

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Man glad you made it thru unscathed, I assume you are sticking w/the TY color for your R?What an ordeal...

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Good to see you are ok, good driving under pressure.
Very cool of Ford to step up and help solve the problem.

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
A good reason to always wear a driving suit no matter what the temperature.

Hondaluvr1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
To reiterate....

Glad your OKAY! I had a CJ7 I was restoring catch fire at a gas pump a couple of years back. I fought the fire myself and I was pretty shook up at the end--couldn't imagine doing it at 100+ MPH! Way to keep calm!

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Can't imagine going through that and thankfully your experience and luck prevailed. Did the interior eventually become engulfed? Seems like one hell of a good firewall in these cars. Wonder if it's engineered better/different since this is specifically a track car?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Congratulations Joe. From the look of the photos, hard to imagine a guy in shorts and t-shirt could've walked away from that...Appreciate you telling us what you were thinking, when. Hope to have your presence of mind if I ever need it :thumbsup: Thanks too for your earlier advice about dealing with the situation (keep quite, stay off forums...) Glad you didn't have to deal with your insurance....

Last edited:

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
In the end all the matters is your safe. Look at that as a story that is not only death defying but things movies are made of. Consider it an adventure in life to tell your family and friends for years to come and have picks to boot. Glad you are ok. Be safe.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Crazy situation. Things failing like a final destination movie.

Three times while reading that I said "OHHH F*****CK!!"

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Wow sure is one hell of a story. It's a good read for all of us amateur track guys. Even if you had filed a claim the insurance company would have gone after Ford for Reimbursement. Glad Ford handled this with out the insurance involvement . You are one smart guy the way you handled the situation both during and after the event. I've read about people losing oil during highway driving. Oil filter wasn't torqued properly. This engine does have unique vibration qualities.
Sponsored

Last edited: