Sponsored

Oh boy... This sucks... I broke a bolt and don't know how to back it out.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I installed my 170* thermostat today, and in the process of torquing the bolts back on, the top thermostat housing bolt sheared off. The "nut" end is free, but the threads are still stuck in the housing. I suppose my in-lb torque wrench is broken, which resulted in me over torquing it. Ugh. So damn frustrating!!!:frusty:

Any advice on getting the old one out so I can get a new bolt in there? Thanks!

Also, for those that installed a new thermostat, how much did you tighten the bolts? My instructions say 40 in-bls, which is what I had my wrench set at... It seemed to be more than what it required to get it off, so I turned it down to the minimum setting (20 in-lbs), but it never clicked and the bolt sheared...

I swear there's always something when I work on the car...
Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
In my car the bolts go through the housing so the end of the bolt is exposed. If yours is like that You should be able to get a pair of needle nose vice grips on there and spin it until it comes out far enough on the other side to do the same.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
In my car the bolts go through the housing so the end of the bolt is exposed. If yours is like that You should be able to get a pair of needle nose vice grips on there and spin it until it comes out far enough on the other side to do the same.
Thanks, I'll try to see if that works.

Does anyone know the specifications on the bolt? I'd like to try to see if I can get a similar one at Lowe's. The local Ford dealer doesn't have any in stock, and the closest dealer that does is an hour away. Wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that I can't get there until Monday now. If I can't find one at Lowe's, I'll order online somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Is your torque wrench ft lbs or inch lbs?

40 inch lbs is only like 3-4 ft/lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Is your torque wrench ft lbs or inch lbs?

40 inch lbs is only like 3-4 ft/lbs.
I have multiple, but the one I was using was definitely inch lbs. I picked up a new one today to make sure it doesn't happen again. :)

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
If you cant do that use a hammer and a sharp punch and put a dimple in the bolt. Spray the edges of the bolt with penetrating oil and let it soak down. Take your punch and come in from a right angle at your dimple and tap the bolt to revolve it enough that you can grab it with a vise grip.

Or you can drill small pilot hole and tap, or use self tapping screw into sheared bolt to create a stem which will allow you to rotate bolt. Hopefully you can get at the bottom. Good luck.
Sponsored