Offset

T1slug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
I have an Ecoboost with stock wheels that have a +42.5mm offset. I want to change to wheels with a +35 offset. Is that too much of a difference without other modifications? I read online to not change by more than 5mm either way. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

T1slug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks for the info Dragoon. The place that I would buy from says they will fit my concern is I have heard it may affect the brakes, handling, etc.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Could they be referring to +/- 5% of the original diameter? The diameter of the tire affects RPMs, speed, perceived braking distance, etc.

Given the same wheel and tire, going from +42.5 to a +35 offset will move the wheel out, towards the fender lip, by 7.5mm. Aside from the physical clearance questions, moving the wheels out could affect handling performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP

T1slug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks Skye. The diameter will remain the same. Tires will remain the same its just the offset of the wheel that will change. I don't know how it all works but will it change how the brakes will work, handing, steering? I have to laugh because when I was 30 somthing I changed the tires on my Camaro and got a ticket for speeding because my speedometer was off due to bigger tires

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The diameter will remain the same. Tires will remain the same its just the offset of the wheel that will change.
Changing the offset should not impact the brakes.

Moving the wheels out 7.5mm, I'm not sure if that will be positive, negative or no change for handling performance. That'd be a question to ask to the suspension or wheel and tire subject areas.

This thread is currently in the Great Lakes subject area. You might want to modify it, so the question is placed into one of the following:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/suspension-brakes-chassis.64/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/wheels-tires.65/

It should get enough visibility then for greater feedback.

If you do move it, along with a starting offset of +42.5 and ending at +35, include the rim diameter, width and tires size.

OP
OP

T1slug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks Skye. That is great info. I will do that
Sponsored