Sponsored

Officially starting my ecoboom journey(help lol)

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
20210512_214731.jpg

All coolant lines are disconnected finally lol, charge pipes are off, downpipe and sensors are off. Need to figure out how to bleed AC next and fuel lines. After that will be disconnecting wiring harness and finally pulling the motor.
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Just a note, if you follow the procedure in the factory shop manual, you'll see that you don't need to discharge the A/C or remove any A/C hoses to remove the engine. Also, the wire harness can be disconnected at a few spots and remain on the engine during removal. Makes it much easier to remove it from the engine with the engine out....
You may already know this, but you are going to have to get a set of timing tools in order to assemble the new engine. The crank pulley, crank gear, and both cam gears do not have any keyways and are free to turn when the attaching bolts are loosened....... Setting up the timing is detailed in the shop manual.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Just a note, if you follow the procedure in the factory shop manual, you'll see that you don't need to discharge the A/C or remove any A/C hoses to remove the engine. Also, the wire harness can be disconnected at a few spots and remain on the engine during removal. Makes it much easier to remove it from the engine with the engine out....
You may already know this, but you are going to have to get a set of timing tools in order to assemble the new engine. The crank pulley, crank gear, and both cam gears do not have any keyways and are free to turn when the attaching bolts are loosened....... Setting up the timing is detailed in the shop manual.
Ahhh thanks for the advice!!! And yep I will be borrowing a friend's tools for the timing so hopefully I do it right lol

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Ahhh thanks for the advice!!! And yep I will be borrowing a friend's tools for the timing so hopefully I do it right lol
The timing is super important. You might want to detail the process and post it up here. Take it slow and if you have any questions, STOP!

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
The timing is super important. You might want to detail the process and post it up here. Take it slow and if you have any questions, STOP!
I've heard! I'll definitely be documenting everything so don't worry about that xD

Sponsored

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
So there is a shit ton of pages in this manual....and I cant seem to find a table of contents....would you happen to know where the disassembly of the engine begins? I would love to find out where to disconnect the harness at but cant seem to find the pages.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
So there is a shit ton of pages in this manual....and I cant seem to find a table of contents....would you happen to know where the disassembly of the engine begins? I would love to find out where to disconnect the harness at but cant seem to find the pages.
You should be able to use the chapter tree feature to view the different sections In acrobat.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
You should be able to use the chapter tree feature to view the different sections In acrobat.
I was using my old ass laptop so maybe that was the issue lol let me use my updated computer to view it in acrobat! Thanks!

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
Built head (new came in yesterday) in the classified section from Tune plus. I am flexible on the price. Fully ported, cams. Springs and fire rings for additional combustion chambers sealing.

Good luck on you're journey. I threw in the towel after spending thousands and planing on spending thousands more on an engine that needs a lot of fuel and octane to make big power.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Built head (new came in yesterday) in the classified section from Tune plus. I am flexible on the price. Fully ported, cams. Springs and fire rings for additional combustion chambers sealing.

Good luck on you're journey. I threw in the towel after spending thousands and planing on spending thousands more on an engine that needs a lot of fuel and octane to make big power.
Did you already have the built bottom end? If you really do the math you can have a 800 whp car for about 40k rather than buying a gt for 35k...I still seem to think it's worth it. Will the head fit the built 2.0 from EMS?

Sponsored

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of mods did you have on the Ecoboost?

Watching, I'm curious to see how this goes. Good luck.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you already have the built bottom end? If you really do the math you can have a 800 whp car for about 40k rather than buying a gt for 35k...I still seem to think it's worth it. Will the head fit the built 2.0 from EMS?
Yes, the head will fit the 2.0.

I have a built block too. Everything new

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Yes, the head will fit the 2.0.

I have a built block too. Everything new
So the only thing that made you give up was money? It sounds like you were pretty damn close man 😔

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What kind of mods did you have on the Ecoboost?

Watching, I'm curious to see how this goes. Good luck.
FBO with a 93 tune from PD tuning. So pretty much the most power you can get without putting a bigger turbo on and thanks!

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the only thing that made you give up was money? It sounds like you were pretty damn close man 😔
Yes, the amounts were getting sickening.

FBO with Nx2 and Methonal. Popped a head gasket and installed a new one with CA625+ headstuds. After a few tun revisions and battling a rough idle I bought a short block and built head with the vision of upgrading the injectors and HPFP. Then I was going to go bigger turbo. The Head and block were 7500 and I needed another 1k to finish it.
The rough idle ended up being a leaky Methonal solenoid. I got a screaming deal for the car, so it's gone. It also had a full Steeda cradle lockout and suspension with Enkis. However, at the end of the day, I really want a 5.0. The sound, respect and the HP on pump gas is where my true self is.
Yes, Ecos can go fast. I hate the sound, and it is a time bomb at times. Will wait for a 5.0 till the Pandemic and economy gets stable.
Sponsored